What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Default Email

Sard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a problem with my default email setup as follows:-

I use Google Apps for my email and have configured the iPad 2 to use Gmail, mail, calendars and notes. There is (or appears to be) no contacts facility in Google Apps so I use the Exchange setup to access just the contacts from the same Google Apps account. This setup works fine on my iPhone 4 and I am able to select either Gmail or Exchange as my default mail account. On the iPad 2 however, whilst the mail, calendar & contacts work fine through there own applications I am unable to select Gmail as the default account because it isn’t displayed as an option. All I can see is “On My iPad 2†or the Exchange account. This means that I cant opt to send a photo in Photos via email using the “Email Photo†function. Instead I have to use copy & paste.

If I disable Gmail and turn on email through Exchange it works perfectly as expected however the reason I don’t use this configuration is because emails deleted on other devices such as the iPhone, aren’t deleted on the iPad 2 which is another issue. This again works perfectly on the iPhone.

Both the iPad 2 & iPhone are running 4.3.1 (8G4)

Any ideas would be appreciated

Sard

Reaction score
So does this mean that you have your Gmail account setup twice? Once as IMAP and once as exchange account?

This seems like a hassle.

When you setup Gmail, either as IMAP or exchange, does it allow you to synchronize contacts. Just set Contacts to on in the Gmail settings.

Also, you can always change the account you are sending the email from. Simply use the email function in Photos, then tap on Cc/Bcc, after that on From: and choose from which account you want to send the emails.

And finally, both the IMAP as well as the Exchange setup will delete emails on all devices. So if you delete an email on the iPhone, it will be deleted from the iPad as well. If this is not the case on your iPad, you may have to check the settings.

There is really no need to have two gmail accounts on your devices, as either setup has the functionality you are looking for.

You probably already know how to setup Google as an exchange account, but if you follow these instructions, will it synchronize all email deletions/moves across all your devices:
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

Last edited:
OP
S

Sard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So does this mean that you have your Gmail account setup twice? Once as IMAP and once as exchange account?

This seems like a hassle.

When you setup Gmail, either as IMAP or exchange, does it allow you to synchronize contacts. Just set Contacts to on in the Gmail settings.

Also, you can always change the account you are sending the email from. Simply use the email function in Photos, then tap on Cc/Bcc, after that on From: and choose from which account you want to send the emails.

And finally, both the IMAP as well as the Exchange setup will delete emails on all devices. So if you delete an email on the iPhone, it will be deleted from the iPad as well. If this is not the case on your iPad, you may have to check the settings.

There is really no need to have two gmail accounts on your devices, as either setup has the functionality you are looking for.

You probably already know how to setup Google as an exchange account, but if you follow these instructions, will it synchronize all email deletions/moves across all your devices:
Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

Thanks very much for your reply.

First of all the setup I describe works perfectly on the iPhone 4. i.e. you can select whichever default account you want to. Other Applications will then happily send email through this account. This is not the case on the iPad 2.

The reason I have both Active sync and Gmail set on the same account is that you can’t sync contacts using the Gmail configuration and you can’t sync Notes through the Active sync connection.

I understand that email deletions should be reflected on the iPad when using Active Sync as indeed they are on the iPhone i.e. if I delete an email on the iPad it will be deleted on the iPhone however if I delete an email on the iPhone it is not deleted on the iPad. I have scoured the manual and looked through the iPad settings however I can’t find any setting that could affect this. Obviously Gmail itself is configured correctly as it works perfectly on the iPhone.

Thanks

Sard

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One possible suggestion... What if you setup through the exchange the mail, contacts and calendar? You can have push so it wont be any different than the gmail setting, and just notepad through the gmail settings. Then you'll have the default mail working and also get the notes syncing...

OP
S

Sard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One possible suggestion... What if you setup through the exchange the mail, contacts and calendar? You can have push so it wont be any different than the gmail setting, and just notepad through the gmail settings. Then you'll have the default mail working and also get the notes syncing...

Thanks

I have pretty much tried that configuration but I will give it another shot. I am pretty much convinced that this is a bug in the iPad 2 implementation of IOS 4.3.1. I will just have to live with it for now and will attempt to log it with Apple

Thanks for the responses

Sard

Most reactions

Latest posts