What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dates For Pre-Order And Shipping?

rserkes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know it's all conjecture but I haven't seen any rumors as to when we'll be able to sign up to pre-order the iPad nor have I seen any rumors as to when it will actually ship.

All I've seen is that it will be shipping in March. That's not very specific but I guess rumors really can't be. Has anyone heard anything in terms of specific dates?

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mum is the word, I have been checking Apple's web site and here and all over and have seen zero new info from the end of January until now. You would think the PR people would have something to say, they must chomping at the bit to get started.

OP
R

rserkes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know two official Apple Developers. One is a friend and neighbor and the other is the son of a friend. They've both been busily working on apps for the iPad using the SDK. I asked them if they would be getting their hands on an iPad early like they got their hands on an Intel Mac early. They both grinned and said yes. I asked them when they would get their iPads to work on and they both got very quiet. No comment from either.

I think the Apple lawyers have put the fear of Yahweh into them both about this. They let me look at and play with the early Intel Macs but I bet I won't even know when they get their iPads.

I guess in terms of marketing Apple must think that keeping us in suspense is going to pump up sales. Actually, it just aggravates me no end. And why can't we even sign up for a pre-order? That's just getting your name on a list and it lets Apple know in advance how many units will be needed for the first release.

latinnftl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspect until the FCC has approved the device they aren't going to make an announcement with respect to pre-order.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wouldn't the FCC only need to approve the iPad 3G variant? I would have thought that Apple would have gotten FCC approval before trying to showboat.

That sucks rserkes. You'd think having developers cooing about the cool stuff they're implementing would be in the iPads favor... what with the jokes and grumping about Flash.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm.. Very interesting.. I would think the 3G model only would need to be FCC approved and was hoping that was already baked into the delayed released date. I'll have to do more research on this.

rudeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My best guess is that they Apple have an idea or goal when they want to release the iPad but are still putting the finishing touches and testing it to the limit. Apple as well as we the Mac users want everything to go smoothly. It would make for very bad press if the ipad went on sale bugs or some sort of defect with the device.

The ipad will go under the microscope once it is released. No matter what happens no mater how good or great the iPad their will be criticism. However overall in the end the iPad will more than likely be hailed by most people and hopefully the media.

Therefore in my humble opinion once Apple's quality control and engineers are nearly 100% confident the iPad is ready for public consumption they will give the green light and set the release date.

Lets face it Steve Jobs is a Perfectionist. I'm sure he wants it out ASAP but not before its truly ready.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also believe they are making the last small change for make it perfect at the official launch ... i think they will try to respect their timing (if they don't discover some details)

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMHO I don't really think there is time enough left to finetune any hardware. I'm inclined to think that there are warehouses filled with boxed units as of now. This device will sell at least a million units in the first two weeks. This number of units could have been compiled by marketing wizards after the keynote reactions. Remember that this device will be sold worldwide! Manufacturing must be quite intense at the moment...

PS If there is any tweeking it shall be software upgrades.

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm guessing the hardware is done. It's the software that's still being fine tuned. I'm not sure how Apple usually does it, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there is a shipload of them un-boxed, just waiting to be flashed, boxed and shipped to the stores. I also wouldn't be shocked to see a firmware update within 48 hours of the time they go on sale just so they can make the ship date. The only thing that bothers me at all is the idea that, like the iPod Touch, OS upgrades will cost $$. There's no way to amortize the revenue out over time so they can give them away for free like on the iPhone, though I'm not sure why they couldn't release minor updates as with OS X at no charge.

OP
R

rserkes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just read on Mac News Network (2/20/10) that pre-orders for the WiFi version will start on 2/25/10. The 3G pre-orders will start a month later as the 3G unit will be shipping a month after the WiFi.

This is all rumor, of course.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also read news like this with the 28/ feb , but frankly speaking i think is just speculation

Ellie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I notice the latest rumor is that preorders will start Feb. 25. I realize that may just be another rumor. I have never preordered anything so I want to know what advantage would be and how long does it generally take to get item you preorder.

Most reactions

Latest posts