What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Data protection at apple store.

Sheena

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First thing - cheers for a great forum.
Hope it's ok for a newbie to ask for advice?

The thing is, I just received an email of a transaction from apple care stating my email address, phone number and full postal address along with a transaction ID saying that I had taken my iPhone into an apple store and had a repair conducted due to water damage! Unless I have a doppleganger at the other end of the country, it wasn't me!
I called apple support and they tried to tell me to ignore it and all would be ok, someone had probably just imput a wrong digit into the serial number field at the store - the serial number for my iphone is nothing like the one on the transaction email! I asked for some assurance that my personal details hadn't been shared in writing and they weren't wiling to do that until they speak to someone else on Monday after the new year hols.
The thing is, I did return an iPhone to t-mobile a week after I had purchased it - I wonder if it has been put back for sale with all my details still linked to it?
Am I right in thinking this isnt on? Isn't this a problem which could mean
someone else has had access to all my personal details? I expected more respect of personal data from apple. Love the products and my new iPad goes everywhere with me! Shame.

Thanks all :)

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm with you, it sounds like someone made a claim on the phone you returned and apple had never changed the registration. I would follow up on that one and make sure your accounts aren't compromised further.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, anytime you return something that has personal information, you, should make sure that it is wiped clean, by doing a total reset if possible. However, Apple or TMobile should have done the same thing, assuming that you may not have be able to, or didn't know how to reset it.

Change the log in, in iTunes, immediately. If you have another credit card, change the account to that card. Then monitor your credit card account for any unknown or un-authorized activity. If you can change your credit card on the account, call the other credit card company and put a stop on any transactions from Apple.

OP
S

Sheena

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I'm not being paranoid....

... Liken the supervisor at apple care was trying to say I was!
Thanks for the replies guys:)
The thing is, I did a full reset before sending back the phone - the information was held at apple with their care product - my personal details linked to that handset when inregistered it. Not good.
Yes t-mobile do iPhones in the uk and since a few weeks back, my beautiful new iPad:)
Just wish I didn't keep hitting the 'n' key instead of the space bar on the iPad. Lol

OP
S

Sheena

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had mine since August (when they started doing the iphone) and my iPad as soon as they started them - about 3 weeks ago. Timed nicely with a phone contract I didnt want to continue:)

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Figured you must be in Germany or Europe. In the U.S. AT&T still has exclusive rights so we T Mobile guys still wait for the fun.

OP
S

Sheena

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry 'bout that:(
You're right - UK

Most reactions

Latest posts