What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Data drain when plugged in and locked!

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have turned everything off - automatic everything - background everything.

Every time that my iPad 3 is plugged in and locked and on wifi my data starts draining. When I unplug it, it stops.

This is driving me crazy! I updated to 8.1.1 last night during my ISP free time. I thought the update would help as this started with the previous update. I did not stay up to turn it off when it was done. When I checked it this morning it was down to 364mb from 500mb. I finally unplugged it when it got down to 227mb.

Please help me figure out why this is happening.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you also disable everything that shoudn't use data in Settings - Cellular Data - Use Cellular Data For?

And another question: do you use iCloud for your backups?

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do not use cellular at all.

I have iCloud backup turned off.

I just deleted my iCloud account to see if that does anything. The only thing is that all my folders in iCloud mail are gone. Will I get them back if I log in again?

I just tested plugging it in and locking it after deleting iCloud account. It seems to have worked! Why is that?

BTW - you are one of the best resources in this forum. You and the guy with the moustache.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do not use cellular at all.

I have iCloud backup turned off.

I just deleted my iCloud account to see if that does anything. The only thing is that all my folders in iCloud mail are gone. Will I get them back if I log in again?

I just tested plugging it in and locking it after deleting iCloud account. It seems to have worked! Why is that?

BTW - you are one of the best resources in this forum. You and the guy with the moustache.
Thanks. :) The guy with the moustache is twerppoet.:)

When you add the account again, the mails and the folders will be there again.

Wi-Fi, locked and charging reminded me of iCloud backup, that's why I asked. But if it's turned off, something else must drain your data. Did you sync between Apple devices, using iCloud?

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do not have any other Apple devices.

It is not draining data anymore since I deleted my account. My last iCloud backup was in May. I tried several times after that and it never finished, so I gave up and turned it off. Maybe iCloud was stuck somehow? That last successful backup was 1.2 gigs.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it was disabled, it doesn't backup.

Maybe there was an email in the outbox, failing to send and constantly trying to. Did you check that before deleting the account?

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, all emails were successfully sent from all accounts. I hardly ever use iCloud mail accounts.

I recently went through all of my email accounts and checked all of the folders and deleted everything in the Sent and Trash folders and checked all of the other folders. I did that a couple of weeks ago. It started the draining after the update before this last one.

I have locked it several times already and it is still at 227mb. No draining!

I am hoping that the problem is now solved. Until I found that it only drained when plugged in, I seriously thought that someone had hacked my router! I changed the SSID and passcode twice and even hid the SSID!

I am still going to be watching it before even considering activating iCloud ever again!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you need to check your iCloud emails, you can do so using a browser, if you don't want to set up the account again.

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh! Cool! I did not even think about that!

I'll give it a try! I hope my folders are still there.

OK. Another question. I have hundreds of megs in the folders in the iCloud mail area. They are from my other email accounts. The iCloud area is the only area where you can create new folders to store email.

Why, when the iCloud account is deleted, is the mail storage usage still the same on my iPad?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to make sure the changes take effect: force close the Settings app and reset your iPad (press and hold Home and Power button...). Look at the usage again afterwards. It it still the same?

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, it is still the same - 845 meg.

All but one of the remaining email accounts are completely empty. The one that has email in it only has 30 emails which are really small - mostly a screen of text.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The usage for the Mail app also includes attachments you opened there. To get rid of these, you'll have to remove the email accounts and set them up again from time to time. Try this, it should reduce the amount of storage space for the app.

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, thanks!

That is a pain in the butt, though. Why oh why does it keep that stuff when it is deleted? Makes no sense to me.

I think that I can stop bothering you now. Thanks so much for your time and help!!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt to go to your cellular settings and turn off any apps that you feel don't need to access the internet when you're away fro wi-fi.

In Settings > iTunes & App Store you should probably turn off Use Cellular Date, to prevent automatic downloads and updates.

Settings > General > Background App Refresh is another one to prune or turn off.

iBooks can also use cellular, if enabled in Settings.

I'm probably missing one or two other places. I recommend working your way through the iPad's setting, methodically. Besides finding the various places cellular data might be enabled, or not, you'll probably run across a few other surprises. Some of them may even please you.

Most reactions

Latest posts