What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cydia- list of what not to install.

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cydia- list of what not to install.[Only for complete iPad newbies]

[Only for faint hearted people and total newbies to apple iPad and jailbreaks]
Hello there.

I was wondering if we could list here apps or things that we shouldn't install after the jail breaking to keep our ipads safe from being screwedup. Some expert people please give your hands of help here.

Could be really useful for us simple people. :)

Thanks

Listing:
1.The one thing to not install is that app that allows you to sync over Wifi. Complete garbage as every time it is installed my iPad needs to be restored.
-Digikid

2.(backgounder removed from the list! Too few complaints)

Last edited:

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All apps on Cydia are often great apps to what Is made for If you know what It does and how to handle It.

Not the best answer, but still, It's my answer

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well if you can't handle Backgrounder don't even bother jailbreaking. That was my number two reason for jailbreaking, right behind SBSettings.

Michael

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Backgrounder IS inconsistent. That inconsistency was *my* main reason for trying out the 4.2 beta 3. Drives me nuts how sometimes Backgrounder works and sometimes it doesn't and just closes the app out. But I also don't like how Apple leaves mail, Safari and iPod/video running in the background using resources. With a JB'n device I can use Circuitous's override option to disable that.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The one thing to not install is that app that allows you to sync over Wifi. Complete garbage as every time it is installed my iPad needs to be restored.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Backgrounder IS inconsistent.
I think you misunderstand what backgrounder does. Essentially NOTHING. If something crashes it is not due to backgrounder, it is due to iOS or the app.

All backgrounder does is fool the OS into letting an app run in the backgrounder. And the OS has had that capability since day-one when the iPhone was released in 2007.

That doesn't mean backgrounder can suddenly add the RAM needed if someone tries to run 12 apps at the same time. It cannot. So if you are trying to do too much, the OS will have to start pulling the plug on apps. But all backgrounder did was tell the OS to let the app run in the background. As the RAM gets critical the OS can and will terminate an app if it needs memory for something else. But again it is the OS doing it not backgrounder.

I have no problems with backgrounder, but I use it very judiciously at least on my iPad. I have more leeway on my iPhone 4.

Michael

Dahabi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks...I wanted backgrounder but I think now I'll pass

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Backgrounder IS inconsistent.
I think you misunderstand what backgrounder does. Essentially NOTHING. If something crashes it is not due to backgrounder, it is due to iOS or the app.
All backgrounder does is fool the OS into letting an app run in the backgrounder. And the OS has had that capability since day-one when the iPhone was released in 2007.
That doesn't mean backgrounder can suddenly add the RAM needed if someone tries to run 12 apps at the same time. It cannot. So if you are trying to do too much, the OS will have to start pulling the plug on apps. But all backgrounder did was tell the OS to let the app run in the background. As the RAM gets critical the OS can and will terminate an app if it needs memory for something else. But again it is the OS doing it not backgrounder.
I have no problems with backgrounder, but I use it very judiciously at least on my iPad. I have more leeway on my iPhone 4.
Michael

That's great you've never had a problem with it. Obviously me and the other poster have had. Just stating experiences. For the record I've *never* backgrounded more than 2 apps at a time. Drives me nuts to have resources being used for no reason. I'm not foolish enough to try to run 12 apps in the background without something crashing. Perhaps it *is the particular app causing it (iCab comes to mind). I don't know, I just stated that I agreed it's inconsistent.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iwhat, I appreciate what you are trying to do, but this thread is pretty dangerous if not kept accurate, up to date, and to some degree administered.
I totally appreciate that other peoples mileage varies, BUT, both wifi sync and backgrounder work perfectly well for me. Dare I say flawlessly.
I am an experienced user and know what I am doing. I don't know if that puts me in the minority or majority...
BUT, this thread should list apps where there are fundamental compatibility issues, NOT where a user here or there has a problem with absolutely no evidence as to whether it is the user, device, or application that is at fault...
If I took the accuracy of this at face value I would avoid two of the best reasons for me to have my iPad jailbroken, and I see no evidence that either of these products is at fault...

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to explain that it is not backgrounder. Blaming backgrounder is like blaming the key to the liquor cabinet for getting drunk and sick. :)

OP
I

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay,I have limited this thread to simple non techie and total newbies only. I also stated in my first post that it's for "Simple people". So by that I meant it's not for those experts and super techies and people who know what they really are doing. Cydia is an extremely powerful hub for extremely powerful apps but often newbies try to go ahead and install stuff,but unlike expert people they often fail to resolve simple issues so I am just trying to help here,I am listing apps which might be giving some basic troubles which might be easy to solve but to newbies it can be a real pain. I was really curious to jailbreak but at later stage I have willfully restore my iPad to jailed state,don't get me wrong but i don't think any expert people would restore from jailbreak because they know how to maintain it properly and avoid and block the risks or threats that come with it. And about maintenance when I will be no longer available to update,I will request a mod to remove this thread all together.

Now if you will really inform about some potential harmful apps rather than echoing the greatness and good behavior of backgrouder and wifi app then I could replace those two,so please try to help.

I hope you understand.
Thanks

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem is the title of this thread makes it sound as if it is more official or technical than what it is. If it was for beginners or noobs it would have been better to include that in title.

There are apps that should be avoided in Cydia, usually due to conflicting with another app , outdated, not ready for current firmware, etc... But to include backgrounder in such a list to me makes the list more misleading than useful.

Michael

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now if you will really inform about some potential harmful apps rather than echoing the greatness and good behavior of backgrouder and wifi app then I could replace those two,so please try to help.

I hope you understand.
Thanks

Well, yes and no. I'm not sure I do understand how to help effectively in the context of this thread, so I think I'll just bow out.
Whilst your goal is laudable, I think you really need a beginners guide to jailbreaking (of which there are many here and elsewhere), rather than a list of apps which beginners may have problems with because from my experience that could be 1) almost any app, 2) for almost any reason, and 3) different users will have different experiences.
I wish you good luck with the thread though.

Most reactions

Latest posts