What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CTIA’s Know My App Tool Informs Users on App Data Usage Prior to Purchase

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
know-my-app-620x396.jpg

CTIA The Wireless Association is a trade group that represents the international wireless telecommunications industry with members consisting of cellular, personal communication services and enhanced specialized mobile radio providers and suppliers. Now, it has released a very useful new solution, called Know My App that lets you estimate an app’s data usage before downloading it.

You will find on the website of the Know My App app a growing list of popular mobile apps with their respective data usage that has been broken down in several useful categories. Thus, by using this really helpful tool, you will be able to know how much data your favorite app is using when it’s downloaded, at initialization, during active run time and during background time.

An app is mobile software that adds a function or feature to a wireless device; popular apps include games, social networks, maps, and music/video sharing. Whether you have an unlimited plan or a monthly allotment, it’s important to understand how apps use data before you purchase or download them since your wireless experience – from the app, data usage, battery life and network speeds – will be impacted. For consumers, CTIA-The Wireless Association, along with its members and the app developer community, created KnowMyApp.org so you know how the most popular apps use data. With Intertek Testing Services North America, we offer data usage estimates on some of the most popular apps in the Apple and Google stores.

At the moment, there are Android and iOS apps listed there. AppleInsider has tested music streaming service Pandora for iOS and found out that an average use of 2526.57MB per month was registered, which represents 842 percent of a 300MB plan, 246 percent of a 1GB plan and 61 percent of a 4GB plan. Keep an eye on this tool as more apps will be added.

Source: AppleInsider, iPhoneforums

Most reactions

Latest posts