What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crux 360 vs Clamcase ?

Waynemckinney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I work for engadget and was lucky enough to test out the ClamCase, the Crux360, and the ZaggMate. All of them seemed to work very well, and I didn't experience any major problems with any of them.:ipad-keyboard:

The ClamCase was my personal favorite of the 3 and it is $99 compared to $149 for the Crux360 and the same $99 for the ZaggMate. I found the ClamCase and the Crux to be extremely similar and I even liked the ClamCase a little better because I felt is was easier to get in and out and it looked more like a net book. :ipad-keyboard:

The ZaggMate was also cool and was a little different from the other two. It was much easier to insert and remove and adds much less weight and thickness to the iPad, however I wouldn't recommend it. I would chose the ClamCase and I hope this helps:ipad-keyboard:

Are you going to elaborate further on your review? Why would you choose the ClamCase over the other two products? (because it makes the iPad "look like a net book"???)

I like brevity but you really need to explain your findings with a little bit more detail. Is there going to be an Engadget review posted on your website?

Are you speaking as a representative of Engadget (and thereby lending you a lot of credibility). If you are, I am taking you to task for making recommendations unsubstantiated with any more verbiage than "I felt is easier to get in and out of...." type comments. I often read Engadgets reviews of many products, and your posting is not up to Engadget's standards.

I apologize for coming on very heavy here. I don't mean to denigrate you personally but do understand, people make buying decisions based on reviews from forums such as this one and from websites like Engadget. Linking this forum and Engadget with your posting, muddies the veracity of both.

I apologize that my posting is not up to Engadget's standings. I am relatively new to reviewing products like these, so none of my reviews have actually yet been published yet. I am being told that after submitting these reviews, my coworkers are very satisfied with my improvement with reviewing. Engadget is truly a great company to work for and I would never try to degrade their name in any way.

Here are my full reviews:

ZaggMate
Quality Of Construction: 7/10
Ease of Use: 9/10
Value: 6/10
Overall: 7/10

The Good:
ZaggMate is made of a high-grade aluminum that is very similar to that used on the back of the iPad itself. It is very easy to insert the iPad into this case, as all you need to do is postiton it on it's stand, and removal is just as easy, as all you need to do is lift it from the stand. The ZaggMate only adds about 1/4 of an inch of width to the iPad, as the iPad sits inside of it. It is also much lighter than the @ClamCase and @Crux360.

The Bad:
Unlike the @ClamCase and @Crux360, this case has nothing to secure the iPad with, so it is very succeptable to falls and dings. In addition, this case is limited to two viewing angles, while the @ClamCase and @Crux360 has an unlimited amount. Also, the ZaggMate feels cheap, and the plastic keys feel like they are made crappily (you see, I'm inventing words).

The Verdict:
ZaggMate really is no better than the iPad keyboard dock when it comes to this type of stand, and at least that has a full size keyboard. When it comes to picking out the perfect keyboard case, this certainly isn't it.

ClamCase

Quality of Construction: 9/10
Ease of Use: 8/10
Value: 9/10
Overall: 9/10

The Good:
ClamCase feels very solid when you hold it and looks and feels exactly like a netbook. It is made in the USA of high-quality ABS plastic. It has an unlimited amount of viewing angles, and just like a tablet computer, you can fold it all up and lock the keyboard away and hidden from view. For $99 it is a much better, stronger, and more versatile solution than the @ZaggMate, which is currently selling for the same price.

The Bad:
It looks and feels just like a netbook; a pretty heavy one. It adds quite a bit of weight to the iPad as well as the width added, which makes the iPad pretty thick. The keys are smaller than on a full-size keyboard and take some getting used to.

The Verdict:
For $99, the ClamCase is the best keyboard iPad case around. It is wallet and user-friendly, is made well, and is a great addition to any iPad.

Crux360

Quality of Construction: 8/10
Ease of Use: 7/10
Value: 8/10
Overall: 8/10

The Good:
The Crux360 is made of high-quality ABS plastic just like the @ClamCase, which I like. This also has a netbook look and feel. It is actually quite similar to the ClamCase, which is pretty darn awesome. It does feel a bit more natural to use though, as is is slightly lighter and bigger than the @ClamCase. It, like the @ClamCase is way better than the @ZaggMate.

The Bad:
The keys feel rubbery, which I personally hate. Like the @ClamCase, the keys are undersized, although not quite as much as the @ClamCase. The quality doesn't compare to the @ClamCase, though and after testing it on drops, the @ClamCase provided much more protection for the iPad. At $149, it is priced above all of it's current competitors. Also, nobody seems to know exactly when the Crux will ship, however the @ClamCase is set to ship next week.

The Verdict:
The Crux360 case is certainly cool, but cool in itself isn't good enough. I feel that too much time was spent on making it look and function well, and not enough was spent on making sure this provides protection for the iPad. It still is a very nice case that will certainly show off well.

I hope that this addresses all of your concerns with my writing style. Please do not assume that Engadget is only as good as me, as I don't have enough experience to be at the level of many other fantastic Engadget writers. I am always open to writing suggestions, and thanks for helping me become a better writer.

-Urculla S.

Before making a decision based on these reviews, I would suggest people visit Clamcase's Facebook page (Discussion area) and read all the problems people are having.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd also like to add that I've had a ZaggMate for a few months now and I absolutely love it. It's the perfect case/stand/keyboard. comparing it to the Apple iPad dock? It's a different type of device completely since it's ALWAYS with you (because it's also your iPad case). The Apple keyboard dock is not portable by any means. I also love that I can just pick up my iPad and use it in it's "native" state whenI don;'t need a keyboard (instead of having an inch thick iPad ALL of the time).

It's a personal decision of course, but I think you gave the ZaggMate a very poor review when it's actually an awesome product.

Plus, you can use you iPad in Portrait mode too - let's see you do that with the ClamCase or Crux 360! I can't imagine having to pop the iPad out all of the time - because there are a lot of apps that only support one landscape mode too.... I see the ZaggMate as offering more freedom. SUre, I only have one viewing angle, but that's all I use anyway! :)

And one of the best benefits of all - you can actually get one!!

ocdetails

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I weighed my options before getting the Clam Case. Here were some of my decision factors:

Zagg: Nothing to protect the back of the iPad. I don't like that. There is also nothing to secure the iPad to the keyboard, which is also a minus. I spend a lot of time traveling and I need something secure. The Zagg case will allow the iPad to easily fall while in a plane and doesn't really assist in lounging on the couch or in bed watching NetFlix. So basically it is one step above just getting a bluetooth keyboard, but you still have an extra piece to keep track of.

Crux: I really hate the two piece design of the 'lid'. It is similar to the two piece hard shell cases for the iPod. And the window showing the apple logo is a major minus. I don't like loud branding showing on the products I use. I'm the kind of guy who removes emblems and dealership branding from my cars and don't wear clothes with loud branding all over them. So that detracts right away. The loud Crux branding on it is another minus. I would probably just live with it if it weren't for the fact that this case costs more than the clam case and the clam case doesn't have any of those annoying features.

The clam case seems to be well thought out. Obviously not too many people have gotten their hands on them for review purposes yet, but from the pictures I've seen I really like it. I'm using a soft case with keyboard in it (similar to the crux360 case picture shown) and that has worked out well, but it is still too floppy and makes for less than easy viewing angles when lounging. Having a 'lid' that stays at various angles is a huge plus. Being able to snap the iPad into the front of the case instead of separating it is another design plus. It will really fit my needs well since I do a ton of writing on my iPad and the keyboard functionality is a must. I'm not getting it because I want the iPad to look like a netbook or anything else. I'm getting it because it adds the functionality I require out of the product.

Still... Once they make an Android tablet the same size with a capacitive touch screen, this iPad is going to the curb. That Atrix I saw at CES has had me drooling for weeks now...

ocdetails

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plus, you can use you iPad in Portrait mode too - let's see you do that with the ClamCase or Crux 360! I can't imagine having to pop the iPad out all of the time - because there are a lot of apps that only support one landscape mode too.... I see the ZaggMate as offering more freedom. SUre, I only have one viewing angle, but that's all I use anyway! :)

And one of the best benefits of all - you can actually get one!!

You can use the iPad in portrait mode with these other cases too. Just fold the 'lid' back and there you have it. I've been using my iPad to type on extensively for three or four months now and I've never once wished I could use it in portrait mode. Sure there are some apps that only work that way, but I'm not playing those apps with the keyboard anyway, so it isn't really an issue.

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should also add that it will take 30-40 for the Crux 360 to ship to you. The Clamcase will ship when they feel like shipping (maybe never) and the ZaggMate is available to you immediately.

Still the Clamcase is my choice.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just curious - what is it that has you drawn to Android? I've seriously haven't seen an Android phone in person, let alone actually use one. Just curious as to what you are drooling over (seriously - I'm not trying to be smart here or anything - just trying to see what the "next great thing" is...

Thanks!

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ocdetails said:
You can use the iPad in portrait mode with these other cases too. Just fold the 'lid' back and there you have it. I've been using my iPad to type on extensively for three or four months now and I've never once wished I could use it in portrait mode. Sure there are some apps that only work that way, but I'm not playing those apps with the keyboard anyway, so it isn't really an issue.

What I mean by portrait mode is to still use the keyboard while the iPad in in portrait mode. You can do that with the Clam Case and still have the ClamCase hold the iPad for you??

ocdetails

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ocdetails said:

What I mean by portrait mode is to still use the keyboard while the iPad in in portrait mode. You can do that with the Clam Case and still have the ClamCase hold the iPad for you??

No, you can't use the keyboard in portrait. Same story with every other laptop in the world. ;) Seriously though, why would you want to? The only reason I have ever found to type in portrait mode is when I'm cramped in a middle seat on an airplane and typing on the keyboard just isn't practical. In that case, having a keyboard on it wouldn't make any sense either. So, no, you can't use the keyboard in portrait mode like with the Zagg, but it isn't an ability I even see as being very useful.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Just curious - what is it that has you drawn to Android? I've seriously haven't seen an Android phone in person, let alone actually use one. Just curious as to what you are drooling over (seriously - I'm not trying to be smart here or anything - just trying to see what the "next great thing" is...

Thanks!
Basically it all boils down to two things:
Flash support (Which, imo SUCKS on mobiles right now)
Open File system

Thats pretty much it. -shrug-

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
freebirdforever said:
Basically it all boils down to two things:
Flash support (Which, imo SUCKS on mobiles right now)
Open File system

Thats pretty much it. -shrug-

Hmm, interesting.. If that is the main "selling points" for Android, I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon... Don't miss flash at all. And I already have an open filesystem (jailbreak!)..

Thanks for the info, though!

Regarding using the iPad in portrait mode with an external keyboard - I've found some apps that just work better in portrait mode. PLus, some old apps haven't been updated for iPad yet, and some of those only support portrait.

Even things like SBSettings uses portrait mode only... It's a nce option to have. I also like using the iPad "naked" if I don't need a keyboard - and the Zagg offers the easiest removal of the iPad (just pick it up!).

ocdetails

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks!

I'm a pretty open person and use whatever works for me. That is why I have an iPad and not one of the Android tablets on the market already. There are actually several reasons I choose the Android OS over the iOS when it comes to a phone though, and ultimately why I'll choose it as a tablet solution.

1. Android is open source and anybody can create new modifications for it. Once you obtain root access on your phone, you can load a custom version of the Android OS to suit your needs. Apple likes to release updates when they feel like it and it is never built to custom specs for one particular group or business. With Android I could have a custom ROM built to do exactly what I need it to do with little effort.

2. There are many many options for a piece of hardware with an Android OS running on it. They build them with various processor speeds, internal memory, flip out keyboards, non flip out keyboards, brilliant screens, small screens, compact, large, cameras with high res and flashes, low res cameras, great speakers, not so great speakers, front facing cameras, non front facing cameras, the list goes on. If you want to run the Apple OS you get one option for hardware. iPhone. Sure you can get the iPhone 4 or the 3G or whatever, but what major improvements or differences are there really between the hardware? So if variety is your fancy, then Android it is.

3. Android OS devices don't make you pay the 'apple tax'. It seems that everything with that apple logo on it gets jacked up in price simply because it is an apple product. The iPhone is a pretty cool device, but the cost of it is way above Android OS phones with more features. The iPhone 3G still had a 600MHz processor in it at the same time Android phones were coming out with 1GHz processors. The iPhone 4 only has an 800MHz processor, which is still under many Android phones. My G2 came with an 800MHz processor and I have overclocked it to 1.9GHz while still maintaining battery life. You can't even imagine how fast this sucker is at that speed.

That is the other beautiful thing about Android phones. You aren't just able to hack them and modify them, but you are actually ENCOURAGED to. While Steve Jobs was crying about the law saying he had to allow people to jailbreak their phones, Android developers were joyfully hacking the snot out of their phones with the full support of Google developers. Google leaks beta code to the dev community to see what they are able to do with it. I've got friends who have been hacking version 3.0 since before production versions of 2.2 were being pushed.

I'm not a developer, so obviously my opinion is limited, but I still think it is valid. The iPhone is a great little toy, but if you are looking for something that can handle a little more work, then you really have to go with an Android platform. You should see the version of Android they are showing for the new tablets. It is unbelievable!!! Anyone who sees that will look at their iPad differently.

Here is one other thing that makes the android OS really cool. You don't just put icons that launch apps on your desktop. You can put 'widgets' that run entire apps right in front of you. Scroll through your email without having to launch it. Run your Last.fm stations without launching it. See the weather and time in a large widget right on your home screen. It goes way beyond what Apple puts on their desktop. Huge advantage for people wanting to use their tablet device as a netbook. The Atrix is a prime example of how innovative and sweet the Android development is going to be in the future.

Anyway, I'm not ripping on Apple or iPads. I own an iPad, remember? I'm just saying that as soon as the Android tablets which hit the market this year become available, my iPad and clamcase are going bye bye. Maybe my son can have it. He enjoys the games on it and it is a neat little device, after all.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Awesome post - thank you very much for the info... I was actually anti-apple until I bought my first Apple device a year or two ago (iPOd Touch). Since then, I've fallen in love with Apple products - the hardware is great and the price is acceptable. Of course, what I HATE about Apple products is that they are "Apple" products and that Steve Jobs limits me from doing what I want with MY device.

I do understand the reasons WHY they do it, just don't agree with those reasons... It's such a shame, really, that Apple spends so much time and money trying to lock me out of my device. Imagine what iOS would be if they diverted all of that time to enhancing the OS instead of trying to keep people out...

Oh well, time to start exploring Android, I guess! I'm sure it'll take a year or two for the OS to mature to the level of iOS (in terms of stability, etc) on the iPad, but it certainly sounds enticing NOW!

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Awesome post - thank you very much for the info... I was actually anti-apple until I bought my first Apple device a year or two ago (iPOd Touch). Since then, I've fallen in love with Apple products - the hardware is great and the price is acceptable. Of course, what I HATE about Apple products is that they are "Apple" products and that Steve Jobs limits me from doing what I want with MY device.

I do understand the reasons WHY they do it, just don't agree with those reasons... It's such a shame, really, that Apple spends so much time and money trying to lock me out of my device. Imagine what iOS would be if they diverted all of that time to enhancing the OS instead of trying to keep people out...

Oh well, time to start exploring Android, I guess! I'm sure it'll take a year or two for the OS to mature to the level of iOS (in terms of stability, etc) on the iPad, but it certainly sounds enticing NOW!

Once a Honeycomb tablet is out, my buddy is going to be working on a ROM port of honeycomb for iPad. hehe

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadfanatic said:
Hmm, I like how you guys hijacked this thread to have the continuing iOS vs Android debate.

Actually, you are correct, we did hijack it! Sorry about that... Back to the subject.

For what it's worth, I do know that Zagg in preparing a new iPad case (ZaggMate 2?) w/keyboard. I personally can't wait as I've heard it is going to improve upon the original ZaggMate case quiute a bit without turning the iPad into a Netbook 24/7, like the ClamCase or Crux 360 (personally, it would drive me nuts to use my ipad while in the ClamCase (when I didn't need the keyboard) - it's wayyyy to thick and heavy! I know you can pop the iPad out, but that would get old real fast!

Just trying to get this thread back on subject (since I inadvertently hijacked it)!

Thanks.

Most reactions