What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

creating an ibook good for ipad and ipad mini

miniscalo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! I'm trying to create an ibook with Ibook author. The problem is that if I choose a landscape template, in the ipad standard fits well, but rotated in portrait mode sucks, is awful and I've searched every guide, every How To in the planet to make a better portrait mode, it's impossible. Okay, I can survive that, many ipad users read in landscape mode.
But the real problem is the mini.
in landscape mode, the screen is too small, very too small. In portrait mode is small because every template is suited for bizarre cookbooks or photobooks, and not for novels. I can't flip a page, too. I can only scroll down, and I think that nobody love reading a text with no end for hundred of scrolling...
I've tried a Portrait template, instead. I've seen this version in a mini, and it's wonderful! A stunning result! the pages flip, everything is okay. But a portrait template can not be rotated in landscape mode, so a ipad standard user can't read the book with the classic 2-pages view.
It's an incredible mess.

you have tried some new ibooks from ibook store, with the mini?
I'm afraid Apple makes the mini for reading different versions of books from ipad standard.

(sorry for my english...)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Depends on what kind of book you are making.

If your book is mostly text and does not need the rigid structure and extra features in iBooks Author you should consider creating it as a standard ePub instead. This is far more flexible and will look good in almost any mode; or reader for that matter.

You probably already knew this, but I said it anyway. ;)

OP
M

miniscalo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends on what kind of book you are making.

If your book is mostly text and does not need the rigid structure and extra features in iBooks Author you should consider creating it as a standard ePub instead. This is far more flexible and will look good in almost any mode; or reader for that matter.

You probably already knew this, but I said it anyway. ;)

No, I'm a moron -_- I knew that I could publish a free book on ibook store only if I created it with ibook author ... I don't know that I can use a epub standard instead. So, I can create an epub with Calibre and place it on the store? Wow I'm an idiot. A huge idiot.
thanks...

But the problem I noticed remains: the new ibook author, and the new ibooks I can create with it, can not be used in the same way for the ipad mini and ipad standard.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I made one book with iBooks Author, and found portrait mode to be a pain, so I disabled it. My conclusion was that you really have to experiment with the transition to figure out what does and does not cross over, then design the book with that in mind. Some of the text books in the iBooks Store show it can be done.

E.O. Wilson's Life On Earth is a good showcase of everything that can be done with iBooks Author. It's not free, but the Sample chapters should be enough to prove the concept.

Unfortunately I'm not up to giving tutorials. I'm going to PM you a set of articles that may help a bit, but I don't remember if they address your specific problem (portrait vs landscape).

Most reactions