What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crashing often

armstead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad 1. It has always occasionally crashed, but lately it seems to be doing it more often in more apps...Does anyone else notice this? is it an inherent problem or is there a way to reduce it happening?

I really can't afford to upgrade to a newer one but this is getting so bad it is becoming almost unusable except fot the most basic things....Any helpnor advice would be appreciated.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an ipad 1. It has always occasionally crashed, but lately it seems to be doing it more often in more apps...Does anyone else notice this? is it an inherent problem or is there a way to reduce it happening?

I really can't afford to upgrade to a newer one but this is getting so bad it is becoming almost unusable except fot the most basic things....Any helpnor advice would be appreciated.

Your faithful iPad1, compared to subsequent versions, has a relatively small RAM @ 256MB (compared to iPad2 @512MB and iPads3&4 @ 1GB). So continued use will see memory well congested and liable to crashes particularly if you have been using memory hogging apps like some games.
A useful thing you can do is to try to clean up RAM. These steps may help (if you are not already aware of this):
*** clean out apps in memory. Double press the Home key (or four-finger swipe upwards) to show the row of apps in memory on the bottom task bar. Hold down on any icon until they all start to wiggle. Then delete them all by tapping the minus symbols. Then power off then back on again. ( you will not be losing any apps)
*** tap Settings>General>Safari>Clear History. You could also Clear Cookies.
*** A good thing to do to sweeten up your iPad's operation is to periodically Reset/Reboot your iPad. Do this:
Simultaneously hold down the On/Off and Home buttons until the screen goes dark. Keep holding down, (ignore the on/off slider that may appear), until the white Apple logo appears. Then let both go and wait for a while until the iPad reboots back to the home screen. Slide to On. Hopefully your machine will be good for a bit more usage. Let us know how you got on.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With newer firmware and upgraded apps taking increasingly greater advantage of newer iPads' improved hardware, older iPads will crash more and more often. Restarting/resetting and closing unused apps will not change any iPad's inherent hardware limitations.

OP
A

armstead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OB said:
Your faithful iPad1, compared to subsequent versions, has a relatively small RAM @ 256MB (compared to iPad2 @512MB and iPads3&4 @ 1GB). So continued use will see memory well congested and liable to crashes particularly if you have been using memory hogg...... Hopefully your machine will be good for a bit more usage. Let us know how you got on.
Regards, Andrewddc28

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips and taking the time to post them....

I guess reluctantly I may have to start saving for a new one, or at least a newer one.

Most reactions

Latest posts