What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could Apple update the iPad very soon?

PTRACER

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know Apple have their life cycles on these products and don't tend to update these things until they've been out for a year, but I've been reading about the problems people have been having with the iPad, especially over the Wi-Fi and I'm wondering whether Apple will discretely release an updated one that fixes these problems when iOS4 comes out.

I was also wondering if they might release the iPad with 512MB of RAM to cope with multi-tasking, especially now that the iPhone 4G has 512MB RAM.

The reason I ask is that I've never owned an Apple product before, not a Mac, not an iPhone, not an iPod. And when I buy an iPad (and I am going to buy an iPad), I want it to be something that I'll keep with me for many years to come, I don't want to have to keep buying the next generations when they come out...

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I dont expect a hardware update until at least next year sometime. I think the official word on a software update is this fall.

Anthony.L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hardware update anytime soon, unlikely, it's been out less than 3 months. Software update to 4.0 is a given, hopefully sooner than later.

nbg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Software this fall is a given. Jobs said it himself.

"Jobs said it" - this made me chuckle. It could well be this autumn, but you know how long europe had to wait for the hardware........

garyt01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was speaking to an apple tech rep today about my wifi and over temp problems. She stated right after the new 4 G iPhone and touch software is introduced they intend to introduce an update for the Ipad to address my problems. She made it sound like it was only a few weeks away. I hope she was correct and not BSng to buy time.

OP
P

PTRACER

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just meant it with regards to say, finding the problems are physical rather than software related. But if that turned out to be the case, Apple would swap over the faulty units wouldn't they? Has anything like this happened with other Apple products?

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The IOS4 update will be in the fall. I suppose Apple could release a bugfix update for IOS3 before then, but I wont hold my breath.

I think Apple would only do a hardware fix if it were something really catastrophic - like batteries that catch on fire, or something very serious that could put them at risk of a lawsuit. The iPad wifi issues seem to be sporadic and limited to certain network hardware. (at least what I have read indicates this). I dont see them essentially recalling 2million+ iPads for that. They have your money already :)

FahQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The wifi issue will be addressed with the iOS 4 update in a few months. This should fix problems people are having with SSL based VPN authentication on some networks (universities being the most glaring).

The iPad 2.0 or whatever they decide to call it will have some definite improvements, but I wouldn't hold your breath for it to arrive anytime soon, Apples sold over 2 million since launch :)

OP
P

PTRACER

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I could/should buy one now and use it until iOS4 comes out, then just update it, like all current owners will do? Or shall I buy one after iOS4 comes out just to be sure?

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They're not going to change the hardware. You might be thinking about the PS3 Slim, the DSi, the Gameboy Advance - but even if you are, those were many, many years into their cycle.

As has been said, they would never redo a product with different hardware unless there was a catastrophic issue.

The only time I've really seen a development change was in the Xbox 360 units, they made minor changes to the chipset, but because of how compacted the iPad is, I cannot imagine them swapping anything out.

Simply put - either buy now or wait a year and a bit to get the upgraded version.

FahQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I could/should buy one now and use it until iOS4 comes out, then just update it, like all current owners will do? Or shall I buy one after iOS4 comes out just to be sure?

Its up to you really, we are all going to tell you to go ahead and get it now since we love ours so much :)

But iOS4 is just software so if Apple installs it for you from the factory, or if you update it yourself if you get one before iOS4 comes out its really no different. Good luck!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There could be a OS update before iOS4 comes to the iPad. However, it is not likely that there will be any major changes to the hardware until next spring. While we all want the latest and greatest, Apple plans on the estimated depreciation of components as new products chips are developed. To meet their price point, a 512 mb chip set must come down to the price of a 256 mb chip set within the year beween models. The same with going to an OLED screen and/or Retina display. Apple may know years in advance about the general specifications of any device, but they have to get the individual components manufactured.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My guess is two software flashes, one this fall and one early next year, then we will see a new version of the iPad. The mystery is,, what will the next iPad bring us??? A camera for sure, but what else?

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know Apple have their life cycles on these products and don't tend to update these things until they've been out for a year, but I've been reading about the problems people have been having with the iPad, especially over the Wi-Fi and I'm wondering whether Apple will discretely release an updated one that fixes these problems when iOS4 comes out.

I was also wondering if they might release the iPad with 512MB of RAM to cope with multi-tasking, especially now that the iPhone 4G has 512MB RAM.

The reason I ask is that I've never owned an Apple product before, not a Mac, not an iPhone, not an iPod. And when I buy an iPad (and I am going to buy an iPad), I want it to be something that I'll keep with me for many years to come, I don't want to have to keep buying the next generations when they come out...

iOS 4.0 should fix the existing issues and probably create new ones. Hardware update is sometime away.

Most reactions

Latest posts