What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cord help

las313

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are looking for a cord for the ipad that has a male and a female end on it. We want to connect it to our GPS cradle. Any ideas?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you talking about connecting to your GPS in order to stream GPS data to your iPad or do you want to power your iPad from the GPS cradle? The first is not really possible; the iPad doesn't have a 'regular' USB connection. Yes, it comes with a cable that converts the plug on the bottom of the iPad to a USB-style connection, but it doesn't implement the full (or even partial) USB functionality.

If you want to simply power your iPad from the GPS cradle then that might be possible but, as you probably know, the iPad's charger is a 'special' 10W unit that provides far more current than a 'normal' USB connection. So if you plug your iPad into a normal PC or laptop USB connection you'll find that the iPad displays 'Not Charging' because the current from this USB connection is very low by comparison with the iPad's charger.

I'm sorry if I've misunderstood your question. Don't hesitate to get back to us and I'm sure they'll be someone who can provide a better answer than mine!!

Tim
Scotland

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mechanically, it sounds as though you are looking for a camera-connection kit which gives your iPad a USB-socket.
I'm afraid the iPad won't support the GPS-device though for lack of drivers.

Most reactions