What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copying documents from pc to ipad versus sync

irispad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed Documents-to-Go on my iPad and my desktop for the only purpose of copying individual documents from my pc to the ipad. When I connected the ipad to the pc I got a message that they were not in sync. That is true as I have music that I downloaded to my pc and ibooks that I downloaded on the ipad.

I stopped right there and here I am with my questions:

1) First I would like to know how I can perform the copy function that I referred to above: Copy from PC to iPad. (Obviously, eventually I will need to perfrom the copy function on reverse: Copy from iPad to PC.

2) Secondly please enlighten me on how the sync works. I gather that the sync function makes the PC and iPad mirror each other but which one is the source? Assuming I have 3 music files on the pc and 1 on the ipad will the sync make them both contain all 4 files? Or will one override the other and I will end up with either 3 or 1 in both?

I hope I was able to explain this. Let me know if I made sense. Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you want to stop iTunes from automatically launching and trying to sync, open iTunes Preferences, the Devices tab, and turn off auto-syncing.

To copy files directly to Docs2Go using iTunes, you connect your device, open iTunes, select the device from the column a the left, choose the Apps page from the top, scroll down to the File Sharing section, choose the app, and copy or add files to the file box.

I believe Docs2Go has other options to move content back and forth between your PC and the app. DropBox is worth checking into as a convenient method.

Syncing is complicated. iTunes will add stuff to the iPad, depending on you settings for each type of media. In the previous instructions you will have noticed that there were a lot of other settings besides the Apps section. You decide what will and won't sync there.

The iPad may add content back to iTunes, depending on the media type, your settings in iTunes, and a few irritating glitches. What it will never do is delete or replace content in iTunes. You can force the iPad to sync content back to the iPad (if that content can be synced) by right clicking on the device in iTunes and choosing Transfer Purchases. This does not always work with content not purchased through one of Apple's store apps.

Content in many third party apps can by copied back and forth using the File Sharing section described before, however none of it is synced with iTunes. iTunes does make a backup of these files when you sync, but restoring them is an all or none choice. Also, iTunes only keeps the most recent backup, so if you sync again after loosing stuff it is gone.

Moral of the story, keep all important third party documents and media backed up elsewhere. Again, DropBox can be your friend for this. Many apps offer direct DropBox support.

GadgetGeek71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I second on Dropbox. I keep all of my files in sync between my PC, iPad and Android smartphone. I too use DTG on both the iPad and Android. The docs sync in seconds and I never have to worry about multiple copies.

Most reactions