What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copy / transfer files from iPad to SD Card

Kevlarr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way that I can copy or transfer a file FROM the iPad to an SD card using the camera connection kit?

There are times when I have to go to remote places (where I would not have my laptop with me and there are no wireless network around) to take photographs with my Nikon camera, and I would transfer the photos to my iPad to do some editing (cropping, adjusting white balance etc). I can save the edited photos using the photo editing app in my iPad, but how do I transfer the edited photos back to the SD card? I need to a way to transfer / pass the edited files to other people (and other people's devices) who are there with me at these remote places.

I've been searching the web and this forum, and so far have not found a clear solution. I think somebody must've asked this question before, and maybe it's just my (poor) searching skill that has not found the thread with the solution yet.

From what I've read, I know the standard iPad would not be able to do this, but could a jailbroken iPad transfer files from iPad to SD card? I am willing to jailbreak my iPad if it can solve this problem. If jailbreaking can solve this problem, how exactly should I do it, and what software/app do I need?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, well the good news is the jailbreaking should certainly solve your particular issue.

Jailbreaking provides you with unrestricted access to the IOS filesystem and will also allow you to use the Camera Connection Kit SD Card adapter to it's full potential.

The first step will be to jailbreak. This is currently a very simple process. As a precaution you should always take an iTunes or iCloud backup before you start. You will want to be on IOS 5.1.1 and then use redsn0w to jailbreak the device. The current jailbreak using redsn0w is almost a "one click" affair. Connect the iPad, start redsn0w, press "jailbreak" and wait until it is done...

After that you will want to get yourself a copy of iFile from Cydia (installed by the jailbreak). It is a paid app, but probably the best investment you will ever make! iFile is a file explorer tool and will let you move files about on the iPad and to other devices. A connected CCD with SD Card is a prime example.

Once you have it installed, it's plain sailing. I've attached a screenshot of iFile. This shows the "Images" shortcut from the left hand panel selected. The folder on the screen is where all the images from your iPad Camera Roll as stored. So any images you have edited in whatever app you used to edit them should be stored in there once you save them (that's the standard place all apps put their image output).
If you have an SD Card connected, you should be able to see it in the "Disk" section at the top. You can simply copy and paste files between the two locations using iFiles "Edit" and clipboard features. It probably couldn't be easier. Then just give the SD card to your colleagues and they can copy the files on their devices.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345718407.831513.jpg

If that's the only thing you ever use your jailbreak for, it will probably have been worth it! :D

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's an untethered jailbreak.

And, I've transferred photos to (an from) an SD card as f4780y describes. Works like a charm! :)

Marilyn

irregularjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah! That's good news. I couldn't handle plugging into a computer everytime I turned on my ipad. Thanks for your reply!

OP
K

Kevlarr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, well the good news is the jailbreaking should certainly solve your particular issue.

Jailbreaking provides you with unrestricted access to the IOS filesystem and will also allow you to use the Camera Connection Kit SD Card adapter to it's full potential.

The first step will be to jailbreak. This is currently a very simple process. As a precaution you should always take an iTunes or iCloud backup before you start. You will want to be on IOS 5.1.1 and then use redsn0w to jailbreak the device. The current jailbreak using redsn0w is almost a "one click" affair. Connect the iPad, start redsn0w, press "jailbreak" and wait until it is done...

After that you will want to get yourself a copy of iFile from Cydia (installed by the jailbreak). It is a paid app, but probably the best investment you will ever make! iFile is a file explorer tool and will let you move files about on the iPad and to other devices. A connected CCD with SD Card is a prime example.

Once you have it installed, it's plain sailing. I've attached a screenshot of iFile. This shows the "Images" shortcut from the left hand panel selected. The folder on the screen is where all the images from your iPad Camera Roll as stored. So any images you have edited in whatever app you used to edit them should be stored in there once you save them (that's the standard place all apps put their image output).
If you have an SD Card connected, you should be able to see it in the "Disk" section at the top. You can simply copy and paste files between the two locations using iFiles "Edit" and clipboard features. It probably couldn't be easier. Then just give the SD card to your colleagues and they can copy the files on their devices.

View attachment 23341

If that's the only thing you ever use your jailbreak for, it will probably have been worth it! :D

Hope that helps.

@f4780y: That's fantastic, thank you for the solution! :thumbs:

I have never really considered jailbreaking my ipad, because there was no need for it....until now that is. And yes, this is the only thing I will be use my jailbreak for. I guess I will need to start reading all the jailbreak FAQs and how to's in detail before I get started.

@Mickey330: Thanks for the confirmation.

AZsteelman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to say, I never intended to JB mine when I first got it. Once I finally did the JB on my iPhone, it was a no brainer. I now have 2 absolutely wonderful devices that I CONTROL! I can't think of much more I could ask them to do now that I've freed them...

OP
K

Kevlarr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one final hesitation before I jailbreak my iPad. Once I jailbreak my iPad, would it be safe to use it for Internet banking? Let's say I jailbreak my iPad and only install iFile for the purpose above. If I do not install other "unauthorized" apps and install apps only from iTunes, would it still be safe to do online banking stuff?

I've read that the iPad and iOS is very secure, much more secure than a PC. But would a jailbroken iPad reduces the security so that it now has the same level of security as a PC, or worst than that?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A jail broken iPad won't be any less secure than a stock iPad. The only time a jail broke iPad becomes insecure (other than operator error) is if you install a tweak called Open SSH (to wirelessly access your iPad file system) and don't change the default passwords. The only recorded "hacking" of an iPad (well, they were actually iPhones) was because users did not change that password. But, since you aren't going to install Open SSH - you're cool.

For online banking - or any type of secure browsing - you just want to practice "safe Internetting." As in, don't fall for phishing e-mails, ensure you are on secure sites when entering in personal/password data (i.e. the URL should start with httpS), don't use public WiFi when going to secure sites (too many opportunities for others to steal your data), use VPN service if you must use public WiFi, etc. I'm sure you know the drill...

In the "for what it's worth" department, I sues my jail broken iPad for banking, credit card payments, purchases, etc. essentially, all my online stuff is done via the iPad. I don't worry that it's any less secure than a stock iPad.

I know this is from an anonymous person on a forum on the Internet, but I hope it reassures somewhat. :)

Marilyn

OP
K

Kevlarr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Marilyn: Thanks, that's good to know.

Been reading about this Open SSH thing, and some articles recommended that jailbroken iPad should install this Open SSH just to change the password. The reason being is that if you install certain apps, some app will automatically install Open SSH which it needed to run (and leaves the password to default which is a security risk). Not sure how true this is. Anyway, have some questions:

1. These apps that would automatically install Open SSH without the owner's knowledge (if there are such apps) would only come from outside of iTunes, right? I assume apps from iTunes would never install Open SSH without owner's knowledge?
2. So, if I jailbreak my iPad and install only iFile as the only app outside of iTunes, theoretically I don't have to install Open SSH just to change the password, as the scenario that I am concerned about (Open SSH being installed without my knowledge) will not happen. Right?
3. How to check if my iPad has Open SSH installed without my knowledge? Does Open SSH has its own Icon when installed?

Sorry for these off-topic questions. I do internet banking on my Ipad. While I would love to have the ability to transfer files from the Ipad to SD card, I hope that by jailbreaking my device, I would not gain this ability at the expense of another.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't provide a 100% guarantee, but, in my experience, no legitimate Cydia tweak (the ones that come from the stock/default repos) has ever installed something without the user's knowledge. Yes, there are some tweaks that have what is called dependencies (in that they need another tweak to run properly), but if that is so, you will ALWAYS see a list of what will be installed when you prepare to download. Again, that's legitimate tweaks from verified "safe" Cydia repositories. :)

So no, I don't believe OpenSSH can be installed without your knowledge. In fact, most people don't have it installed - it's not needed for the most part. In your case, where you want to use only iFile, you won't need it. And, if you don't install OpenSSH, you don't have to worry about changing your password. There is no access to your jail broken iPad, any more than that of a stock one.

Again, I trust my jail broken iPad enough that I do Internet banking with it. All jail breaking did was make my iPad more like my computer, in that I can access the files myself. It did not (does not) break the "sand boxing" aspect of the apps that run on the iPad. A file still cannot be accessed from one app by another without your intervention on a jail broke iPad, same as a stock iPad. You still have to use the same precautions I mentioned above to ensure YOU don't give out personal/security info. But, to me, and for right now, this makes the iPad my tool of choice for browsing the Internet (to include banking). Of course, and as always, YMMV.

You can change your password anyway (once you jail break the iPad), should you wish to, and not install OpenSSH. But, that's up to you.

Hope this clarifies/reassures.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's great that you are being diligent and getting the facts before proceeding. That's always a great approach.

Just to add my own 2p, you won't be opening yourself up to any serious vulnerabilities by jailbreaking your device. Things cannot / won't get installed without your knowledge, and there is simply no malware in the community or out in the wild which you need to be worried about.

The IOS jailbreaking community is extremely vigilant. Any issue with any app, tweak, process, or vulnerability which comes to light and threatens jailbreakers has a history of being dealt with immediately, and I can only recall 2 such cases in the last 5 years. Every iPad forum, blog, and website would be plastered with information about it if such a thing was to happen again.

As I say, it's absolutely right that you find out the facts, but don't get put off by what are often misinformed or downright misleading articles around teh webz. As you can see, the community here is mature, well informed, and trustworthy. We'll be the first to let you (and all our members) know if there is anything to be concerned about.

Also, SSH is not to be feared :)
It is a great service, especially for moving files about to other devices. I normally heartily recommend that jailbreakers install it, but of course that they change their password too! We have a couple of tutorials here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ides/28213-how-use-secure-shell-ssh-ipad.html and here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...33787-how-use-ssh-wireless-file-transfer.html

OP
K

Kevlarr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great replies! I am now convinced. Thank you for the clarifications and for putting my mind at ease.

whywait

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to all of this so please excuse me if I get things wrong in posting.

Where is it that I get resn0w from? If I Google it there seem to be numerous places on the web where it can be downloaded, but I have no idea if any particular site is safe.

In addition, I note that in the thread from f4780y it says that there is a cost in £ for Cydia. How much is it, roughly speaking ? Sorry to ask this and hope that's not a question out of line.

I'm in exactly the same situation as kevlarr.

Cheers and many thanks for this forum :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm new to all of this so please excuse me if I get things wrong in posting.

Where is it that I get resn0w from? If I Google it there seem to be numerous places on the web where it can be downloaded, but I have no idea if any particular site is safe.

In addition, I note that in the thread from f4780y it says that there is a cost in £ for Cydia. How much is it, roughly speaking ? Sorry to ask this and hope that's not a question out of line.

I'm in exactly the same situation as kevlarr.

Cheers and many thanks for this forum :)

Not sure you read my threads correctly :(

There is no charge for Cydia. Think of it as the jailbreak App Store. Apps, tweaks, themes, etc. available from Cydia can be either FREE or PAID, just like apps in the Apple App Store.

redsn0w should only ever be downloaded from the iPhoneDevTeam website. It is linked in every tutorial and thread which we provide here, but so you don't get lost the link is Dev-Team Blog

You can get redsn0w from the links at the bottom of the first post on the blog.

Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts