What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Converting .mkv files

vrajdeber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm finally an iPad user, and just like every grown child I want to put few cartoons on my iPad so I can watch them in bed while the wife is playing farmville/treasure isle etc.

I'm using Format Factory which have an iPad option just to convert from normal DivX formats. So I used another option which made the H.264 into 68x480 MP4 and clicked to use the default resolution, which is 1280x720

I'm converting the whole second season of The Clone Wars and the new DC Movie, Batman Under the Red Hood.

The Batman movie did OK, it looks great on the iPad screen but the Clone Wars are awfull. Even if I play them via AirVideo, they still looks like scrappy DVDRip or even worse.

Any suggeestions?

Highbred8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you can try the downloadhelper add on for firefox. it has an addon within it to convert (in the downloadhelper settings) and one of the conversion types is ipad. maybe youll have better luck with that.

you can also try oplayer app (in app store for $2 think). i use it and am able to stream directly from divx sites. it also allows you to open up emails in other formats normally not supported by the ipad by holding your finger on the file in the mail until a pop-up comes up. and you can load videos onto it via wifi which probably takes less time than converting (took about 25min to transfer a 1gig movie).

hope that helps a little.

OP
V

vrajdeber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be honest mate, I want to have them videos on my iPad rather than using some apps that just stream from my PC or Internet.

And for some unknown reason, with the Star Wars episodes, the quality wasn't that good.

That's what I want to make better.

Highbred8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be honest mate, I want to have them videos on my iPad rather than using some apps that just stream from my PC or Internet.

And for some unknown reason, with the Star Wars episodes, the quality wasn't that good.

That's what I want to make better.

Oplayer gives the option to stream directly from source or to download directly onto your device as a stored file.

But the real reason I mentioned it is because it would allow you to transfer your videos onto your device and play them in their original format without the need to do any converting. For example I have .avi files on my iPad and iphone4 right now and can play them via player no issues. Without any degrading of video quality. If your losing quality on some files during the converting process then this might help you. There is a lite version (worthless for regular use but will let you see if you like it's function. ). Either way, just a thought that might help out.

flavouringlife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
flavouringlife.wordpress.com
Try Videora iPad convertor, is Free. Can convert almost any file format.

If your file format is DivX. Don't have to convert, just download CineXPlayer. It allow DivX file to play in iPad. Cheers

Last edited:

Highbred8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think FormatFactory is the best for one major reason: you can sey the output resolution to the same as the input resolution using "Default"

Details in my guide here:
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/3780-convert-your-videos-idiot-proof-windows.html

I'll have to give that a look. I have download helper for fire fox and that has a built in converter, but I haven't used it yet. I coupled that with getit which splits the file up into smaller parts and uses mirrors for faster downloads.

So far my method has been....

Download file (divx, avi, mkv etc) , transfer wifi to oplayer and play. The transfer time is roughly 20 min for a 1gig file. That's a little long for my taste, but seeing as i skip converting I guess it evens out. Only down side is they are not sync'ed to iTunes, instead they are save in a file on my pc.

Nice how-to by the way.

OP
V

vrajdeber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think FormatFactory is the best for one major reason: you can sey the output resolution to the same as the input resolution using "Default"

Details in my guide here:
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/3780-convert-your-videos-idiot-proof-windows.html

Actually, that was the guide which I read before start converting. And when I had a second look now, I'm thinking that I know what I did wrong, didn't change the bitrate back to defaul. ;)

Will try it tonight, when I get home.

Cheers

OP
V

vrajdeber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was all down to this that I dind't choose the default bitrate when converting, that way the resolutoin stays 1240x720 but the bitrate is converted for 640x480 and I get awful quality.

It's different story now, thanks for the help.

Jessicaem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried most converters and found iSkyiPadVideoConverter to never fail me, just feed whatever format in to the iSkyiPadVideo server and select Convert. Pick up the converted mp4 and load it in to iTunes. Sync with iPad and boom schackalack!!

Last edited:

alexislee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
glad you finally fixed that problem, but there is a chance to get 4Media iPad Max for free,it's has more powerful functions. maybe you would like to give it a shot!:)

Most reactions

Latest posts