What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Converting DVD's

LittlePixels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does everyone use for ripping (commercial) DVDs and converting them to watch on the ipad? I've seen several programs, but none of them do DRM'd dvds.

Angel

OP
L

LittlePixels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Graywolf. I've heard a lot about Handbrake, but unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't rip. In fact, their own description says "HandBrake is not a ripper. It converts video, it does not rip it byte by byte. It does not crack the latest DVD copy protection schemes hatched by the studios." I need something to crack the latest DVD copy protection schemes. ;-) For my own personal use, lest someone get upset about piracy issues. =P

Angel

OP
L

LittlePixels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Xilisoft looks promising. Reading their website right now. It does copyrighted stuff?

Angel

P.S. - Thanks for discussing this for the million and first time ;) I'll go back and search previous threads too.

OP
L

LittlePixels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Argh, I looked it up and Mac the ripper sounded great...but it's Mac only. =P I did find something though, I think. Thanks so much, guys!

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a lot of free programs that will rip. Google, a couple off the top of my head are DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter if they're still out there, I haven't ripped a DVD in a while.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

hogmonay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To add to the question, what ripper for making movie files compatible with the camera connection kit?
:)

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Download Handbrake and DVD43, I have used them for years to put movies onto my iPod and now my iPad. Both are free and both work great, just Google for the downloads.

DVD43 works in the background so you don't even have to mess with it after downloading. When you put a DVD into the drive it automatically removes the blockers and takes about 5 seconds; a smiley face on the bottom right of your screen will go from yellow, to a devil face, to green. Once it is green you are good to run handbrake.

Depending on the your computers speed, Handbrake can take a while. I average about 3-5 hours depending on the size of the film (the same as if I was downloading a film off iTunes) so I usually set it up before I go to bed.

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't even think DVD43 was even still around, lol! Used to use it years ago. It does work good.

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep it is still around. We got a new computer not too long ago and I was able to Google and download it with no problem.

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's cool, it is a neat little program!

hogmonay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're a star autumnbaby!!! Dvd43 has solved my woes, and saving the file as a dsc00001 too, thanks

Most reactions