What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Converting AVI's & DVD's on a Mac

tbtaylor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a new member, I have tried in vain to understand the posts about converting but I am lost.

I would like to convert my DVD's to Itunes for viewing on the IPAD, I understand that they may be security protected. How do I remove this?

Also I have downloaded Handbrake for Mac its version 0.9.4 and I cannot see anywhere a preset Apple TV setting or ipad?

I would also like to convert downloaded AVI files - again using handbrake or other freeware - but without the ipad preset or apple tv how do I do this?

Would really appreciate some help?

Thanks

Tracy

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only have the ability to decrypt commercial DVDs on Windows, but if I knew of a way on the Mac, telling you how on here would probably get me in trouble (with the site).

I think you can find alot of talk about Handbrake setting for iPad here and elsewhere. I don't use it because I stream everything to the iPad via AirVideo rather than putting the files on the iPad.

Try here for more info on just about any conversion anyone would want to do:
VideoHelp.com - Forum, Guides, Tools and hardware lists

OP
T

tbtaylor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brilliant thanks, I am trying to get a DVD shop bought, each time I open Handbrake it says I need VLC - I have downloaded but it can't find it?

Any ideas?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just went through this a few weeks ago, but I can't quite remember. When you download VLC, you should see it in your "Downloads" area of the dock. Open the install package and then drag the VLC icon onto your Applications icon. Make sure you get the correct (64-bit or 32-bit) version for your system.

OP
T

tbtaylor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried downloading and copying to the applications folder - handbrake still says it cannot find the 64 bit version and asks me to download it again - tried multiple times any ideas?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strange. What is the file name of the package you downloaded? For me, the name of the file is vlc-1.1.5-intel64.dmg. To install, I first open my downloads in Finder, and double click the .dmg file. This opens a new window with a readme file and a VLC icon. If I drag the icon to my Applications folder it installs. The only thing I can think of is if you need the 32 bit version rather than the 64 bit version. The first package I downloaded was the 32bit package and it would not install.

ding2chanlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.dvd-to-iphone4.com
Hi,

I am a new member, I have tried in vain to understand the posts about converting but I am lost.

I would like to convert my DVD's to Itunes for viewing on the IPAD, I understand that they may be security protected. How do I remove this?

Also I have downloaded Handbrake for Mac its version 0.9.4 and I cannot see anywhere a preset Apple TV setting or ipad?

I would also like to convert downloaded AVI files - again using handbrake or other freeware - but without the ipad preset or apple tv how do I do this?

Would really appreciate some help?

Thanks

Tracy

Handbrake cant handle protected DVD movies.

Here is a forum with rich resources of how to use handbrake for apple ipad, iphone, ipod and apple tv. Just for your reference.

forum.handbrake.fr

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You need to find a DVD ripper first which will copy the DVD to your hard drive before handbrake can convert it. Hopefully someone here can recommend one.

Like Kierandill I prefer to stream my videos rather than store them on the pad.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I prefer to stream my media as well, but I still use Handbrake to encode my movies to a smaller file size first. Whenever we buy a new movie, especially one that will be handled by kids, the first thing I do is rip and encode the movie so it can be streamed.

I have to admit I am just an experimental Mac user, so I do most of my ripping from Windows. I haven't looked for a decent Mac alternative for ripping CSS protected DVDs, but maybe I will see what I can find this weekend.

OP
T

tbtaylor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I have now managed to get a film into itunes - I used mac the ripper and then handbrake.

No idea if it will play as I tried to move to an Iphone and it would not let me - does this mean it will also not play on an ipad (mine is wrapped up under the tree)?

The whole process took a few hours - is this normal?

BTW I am using a Mac for this.

OP
T

tbtaylor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Ipad finally out of the box (christmas present), all the prep paid off and I have music, pics and apps all running great.

I have managed to convert a movie using mac the ripper and then handbrake, and also some tv shows avi's using handbrake.

The only issue is the size, the movie which is widescreen is small on the screen as are the avi's.

I do not have an apple tv preset in handbrake - wondering what I am doing wrong?

Can someone advise where I can get the correct conversion presets from?

Many Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts