What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convert PowerPoint to something that will display on an iPad as well as a PC?

adavis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there some format that I can convert a PowerPoint presentation to that will work on an IPad as well as a PC? I maintain my churches website and am currently using iSpring to convert a PowerPoint presentation to flash. This works well on PCs but I would also like the website to display on an IPad. I'm MS Expressions to maintain the site. Since the PowerPoint changes weekly I need something that's quick and easy to use.
Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PowerPoint will display on the iPad without any conversion. Apple's Keynote app is compatible with .ppt and .pptx files - and can play embedded audio and video too. Although it struggles with very complex formatted documents it's generally very capable.

I use it a lot for professional (business) presentations and have not found any problems with it.

Tim

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only other challenge with PowerPoint on the iPad (or between any Apple and Windows computer) is fonts. Not all fonts are shared. Using Verdana is a safe bet if there's an issue.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another possibility would be to convert your PowerPoint to PDF - you can do that from within the PowerPoint program, just do a 'Save As' and choose PDF. The iPad can read PDF documents using the in-built iBooks app.

Tim

OP
A

adavis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. Earlier I had rejected PowerPoint because a lot of Windows users don't have any version of Office on their PC. I had rejected PDF because it's slow loading, especially with a dial-up connection and some people seem to have trouble with Adobe Reader. Flash seemed to be the best because of the small file size which made for faster loading and most people seemed to have it. For now I think I'll just go with PDF and hope a better solution comes up in the future.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. Earlier I had rejected PowerPoint because a lot of Windows users don't have any version of Office on their PC. I had rejected PDF because it's slow loading, especially with a dial-up connection and some people seem to have trouble with Adobe Reader. Flash seemed to be the best because of the small file size which made for faster loading and most people seemed to have it. For now I think I'll just go with PDF and hope a better solution comes up in the future.
FWIW folks don't have to have MS Office (or any other office app) on their computer if you send them the file as a PowerPoint Show. More here:

Create and distribute a self-running PowerPoint presentation - PowerPoint - Office.com

I haven't tried importing a PowerPoint Show into Keynote or the other office apps I have on the iPad. I'll give it a try later to see how it goes.

Bobsummit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim

Can you tell me how to import ppt or pdf to kenote on my ipad. I followed all the instructions and when it comes to 'open with' there is no Keynote option to open it to.

Cheers

Bob

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim

Can you tell me how to import ppt or pdf to kenote on my ipad. I followed all the instructions and when it comes to 'open with' there is no Keynote option to open it to.

Cheers

Bob
Hi Bob, I think I can help you with this. First, you can only transfer files into apps that can use them. A PDF file cannot be opened in Keynote (the same as it couldn't be opened in PowerPoint or Word or Pages, etc.). If you wanted to, you could insert a PDF into a PowerPoint slide prior to importing it into Keynote on your iPad. Otherwise PDF files can be opened GoodReader or Adobe Reader for iPad and other apps. Keynote or PowerPoint presentations can be opened in Keynote.

To transfer your files to any file sharing app:
  1. Connect your iPad to your computer.
  2. Open iTunes (if it doesn't open automatically).
  3. Click on your iPad in the left-hand column.
  4. Click on the "Apps" tab at the top of the page.
  5. Scroll down to the File Sharing/Apps area at the bottom of the page.
  6. Locate and click on the app you want to use (listed in the left-hand column).
  7. The right-hand panel changes to "[name of app] Documents".
  8. Drag and drop your files into that area or click on the "Add" button at the bottom and locate the files you want to use.
  9. Finish by clicking on the "Sync" button at the bottom of the page and the files will be transferred to your iPad.
Subsequently you can move files from your iPad to your computer using the reverse.

This example is for another app, but it's the same for any file sharing app:

wluj41.jpg

Of course you have to have the app on your iPad. Did you buy Keynote for your iPad?

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there some format that I can convert a PowerPoint presentation to that will work on an IPad as well as a PC? I maintain my churches website and am currently using iSpring to convert a PowerPoint presentation to flash. This works well on PCs but I would also like the website to display on an IPad. I'm MS Expressions to maintain the site. Since the PowerPoint changes weekly I need something that's quick and easy to use.
Thanks
Hi Bob! I thought about your post when I was asked by our church to find a way to include presentations and some videos on their website. After working through some details I found a combination that will allow anyone with a Mac, PC or iPad to view the videos on the church website. Rather than a Flash file the presentation will be MP4 so folks with iPads can view them as well.

The setup consists of these elements:
  • Presentation software. In our case I'll be using weekly slide shows created in Apple's Keynote ($19.99) but the exact same thing can be done using MS PowerPoint ($169 up).
  • Conversion software. I'll be using TechSmith's Camtasia for Mac ($99) or Windows ($299). I've been using Camtasia for about 10 years. It's very robust, intuitive to learn and using it for this kind of project is very simple.
  • Web hosting. I'll be using TechSmith's Screencast to host the weekly presentations. They offer a 2GB account for free and you can upgrade to Screencast Pro's 25GB's for a fee. When you upload your presentation from Camtasia to Screencast you're given the HTML code to embed it in your website.
So the process flow would be:

1. Create the presentation (PowerPoint or Keynote)
2. Convert the presentation using Camtasia
3. Upload the presentation to Screencast with Camtasia
4. Embed the Screencast HTML code in the church website

That's about it!

Camtasia has numerous tutorials available for free. These two cover converting presentations and uploading them.

Record a PowerPoint or Keynote Presentation

Share Over the Internet with Screencast.com

There's also a very good iPad-specific tutorial here:

Need an Excuse to Buy an iPad? - Screencast.com Blog

Besides PowerPoint or Keynote slides you can easily include video and/or audio files throughout the presentation...add voice overs and much more in Camtasia.

Since you already have PowerPoint, the only cost for this setup would be for Camtasia. As you can see if you have a Mac the cost is considerably less (and the options more robust).

Hope that helps and let us know if you take this path and how it works out for you.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I don't know if those presentations needs to be viewed offline, but since you talked about flash, I assumed that's for online content.

The way I would do it would be to create a Google App site (or whatever similar services). It's really easy to setup and update, no HTML knowledge needed. So your presentations would be new pages in a form of blogs, or wiki. For embedded videos, just upload your content in a YouTube account, and insert the video in your page.

Thinking about it, probably you could create your presentation using Google Docs, and have your documents embedded in your pages. And for a small fee 10$/year, google will give you a domain name for your Google App site.

This way, everything will be available of any devices that needs to display those presentations. And at the same time, you will avoid the task of converting to a compatible format since Google/YouTube will take care of that.

My 2 cents...

VicoPad addict!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
I don't know if those presentations needs to be viewed offline, but since you talked about flash, I assumed that's for online content.

The way I would do it would be to create a Google App site (or whatever similar services). It's really easy to setup and update, no HTML knowledge needed. So your presentations would be new pages in a form of blogs, or wiki. For embedded videos, just upload your content in a YouTube account, and insert the video in your page.

Thinking about it, probably you could create your presentation using Google Docs, and have your documents embedded in your pages. And for a small fee 10$/year, google will give you a domain name for your Google App site.

This way, everything will be available of any devices that needs to display those presentations. And at the same time, you will avoid the task of converting to a compatible format since Google/YouTube will take care of that.

My 2 cents...

VicoPad addict!

The point of the videos is that they are NOT Flash content, are all viewable on the iPad, a PC or Mac computer. As the OP indicated, the church already has a website and need only drop the line of code onto an existing web page so that it's integrated into the website. No need to create another site or anything else and they already have the PowerPoint presentations.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
richsadams said:
The point of the videos is that they are NOT Flash content, are all viewable on the iPad, a PC or Mac computer. As the OP indicated, the church already has a website and need only drop the line of code onto an existing web page so that it's integrated into the website. No need to create another site or anything else and they already have the PowerPoint presentations.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I was just hi lighting the whole process from my point of view. From what I can understand, the major problem seems to be PowerPoint or PDF files. The OP wants a more universal format, probably having the presentation already visible in the web page. Google Docs would take care of that part by uploading already existing presentations and them making them shared. So you can view the presentation right away in the webpage, and user can choose to download the presentation in PPT, PDF... This presentation can be embedded into any webpage, so that part is really easy. I tested the viewer with my iPad, and it works pretty well...

As for video content, I would still go with YouTube for 2 reasons:
- you don"t have to worry about transcoding format and time
- YouTube takes care of being compatible with the viewer browser, so be it a PC or iOS, the video will play.

My 2 cents again ;)

VicoPad addict!

happyday

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have read through several threads.... I'm simply just trying to put my power points, from my teacher onto my iPad. They are currently in my keynotes on my MacBook, and I have bought the keynote app for the pad....now I'm stuck! Seems it should be simple?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have read through several threads.... I'm simply just trying to put my power points, from my teacher onto my iPad. They are currently in my keynotes on my MacBook, and I have bought the keynote app for the pad....now I'm stuck! Seems it should be simple?
It is pretty simple. You just need to connect your iPad to your MacBook and use the File Sharing feature in iTunes. Basically you'll just need to add the file on your MacBook to your Keynote App on your iPad.

Here's how to do that (the instructions are for the QuickOffice app, but they're identical for Keynote or any other app)...

File Sharing Between the iPad and Computer

Hope that helps and let us know if you have any questions...and best of luck with your presentation!

Last edited:

happyday

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so very much..... Pretty new at this. It's actually not a presentation that I'm giving, but rather what my teachers are using for tools that us students follow along with in class. Maybe you could direct me now on apps that will allow me to highlight portions of the power point as my teacher is instructing? So far everything I have read on here sounds rather complicated, and not condusive for highlighting important info during class lectures? If you have ANY suggestions, even a different thread that would be sweet. And i do super appreciate the last lesson ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts