What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convert movies to low low MB files on Ipad 3

Bazzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all.

i was wondering if anyone could help me out to get my files get lower mb files. or just low. is there anyway i can get em lower. then 5gb.

i got a 16gb IPAD 3

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I get mine down below 2GB for blu-ray titles using Handbrake and AnyDVDHD. I posted setting for handbrake in a thread on this forum. You can use the search function if you are interested.

L

Lunar

If you rip your movies so they are the same resolution as your new iPad 3 then yes the files sizes will be around the 4gb to 5gb mark depending on settings.

I use a program called WinX to rip all of mine, but I still keep the resolution sizes down to 720x480 or sometimes even 640x480 which come out around the 1gb size for a 2hr film.

I've compared films which I've ripped from Bluray films at the higher resolution and obviously they look better quality, but TBH the increase in quality IMO do not justify the extra file size and the extra time it takes to rip them.

You are much better off ripping at the sizes I mention which were the default settings for the earlier iPads as they give more reasonably file sizes especially so if you have the 16gb iPad. I have the 64gb /4G and have quite a lot of films installed about 34 at the last count, these are my all time favourites, so it's like having your own personal film library and is great when away from home, and even at those lower resolutions still look very good on the iPad 3 even when played through the HMI adapter to a large screen TV.

I now only have one film on my iPad 3 which was ripped at full resolution and is about 4.5gb and that too will be coming off shortly, honestly.. for films, the loss in ripping at the lower resolutions is not all that noticable. IOW use a lower resolution setting ripped at about 1200 or 1400kbps and the file sizes should come in at about 1gb or even less, your films will still look pretty good. AIS these were the settings that most iPad 1 & 2 owners use and are still fine for use on the iPad 3, I can rip a 2hr film in about 20mins on my PC but it takes much longer for those larger resolution rips and quite simply... the end result simply does not justify the extra time or the big increase in the file sizes. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts