What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contacts app won't let me add any more contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been going through my contacts and entering them into my iPad. After entering just 20 apps it won't let me add another. When I try to it will let me enter the information but the button that says "done" does nothing. I tried hitting the cancel button too and that one won't work either. I have to exit the app completely. Is there any way to fix this (preferrably without losing the contacts I have already entered)? Do you know what could have caused it in the first place?

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try just powering down (via red slider)your iPad for a second then try it again.

kategalway

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This did not work for me. I tried it and mine still does not accept new contacts? I turned it off with the top button because I am new at this and did not know how to get to the off slider. Was that a problem?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This did not work for me. I tried it and mine still does not accept new contacts? I turned it off with the top button because I am new at this and did not know how to get to the off slider. Was that a problem?

The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

kategalway

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I appreciate your help very much. I have only had my iPad for two weeks now I am still learning. Is there a book of instructions on how to use the iPad I can purchase?

Thanks Again,
Kate

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As usual Apple hides it away.....

it's a free and very comprehensive download...

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPad_iOS4_User_Guide.pdf

Once you've downloaded, it will open up and, if you 'touch' the screen you'll get that 'usual' 'curly arrow' at the top right hand corner of the screen. Touch that and you'll be offered 'Open in iBooks'. Choose that and, several seconds later, the User Manual will open up in iBooks.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad and - please - get back with any other questions you may have - we're all iPad enthusiasts here...

Tim
Scotland

kategalway

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got the manual in iBooks now and will have fun reading all about my new iPad. Thanks again for all your help.
Kate:)

Karlrandolph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have the red slider

I have had the same problem when adding contacts, additonally I cant add groups. I only have one option "ALL CONTACTS" and I do not have a red slider to choose different groups. Now WHAT? How do I get a red slider and how do I add groups such as: Family, Friends, Work and so on? :mad:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - a couple of different issues here.

The iPad's 'Contacts' app can display Groups that are imported from, say, a PC or Mac but there is no facility for adding new groups in the iPad itself.

Furthermore, even those Groups that were imported when you sync'd with your PC or Mac are only partially supported in the iPad's Mail app.

If you have some imported groups then, when you're in your Mail program and sending a new mail, in the 'To' field you'll see a '+' sign to the right hand side of the 'To' field box. If you touch that it opens up your Contacts list. In the window that opens up you'll see a 'Groups' button to the top left hand side of the window and you can touch that to display any existing groups in your contacts list. However, even if you select a pre-existing group, you still have to choose the members of that group - one-by-one - that you want to include in the address field of the email. There is no option to simply include them all.

However, as always, there is an app to solve this problem. You need to download 'MailShot' from the iPad's app store. This provides the capability of creating new Groups in your Contacts list and the ability to select them - and all of the group members at once - from the iPad's native mail app. Most Forum members who use the iPad's native Mail app to send emails to multiple recipients use MailShot and it's received universal praise.

The 'red slider' that you mentioned was a separate matter. This occurs when you want to totally 'turn off' the iPad, rather than simply 'putting it to sleep' (when it just enters a low-power state). Sometimes powering the iPad completely down and then starting it up again can be a fix for a number of 'unexplained' problems - just like you might restart your PC occasionally.

The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

donnalee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
OK - a couple of different issues here.

The iPad's 'Contacts' app can display Groups that are imported from, say, a PC or Mac but there is no facility for adding new groups in the iPad itself.

Furthermore, even those Groups that were imported when you sync'd with your PC or Mac are only partially supported in the iPad's Mail app.

If you have some imported groups then, when you're in your Mail program and sending a new mail, in the 'To' field you'll see a '+' sign to the right hand side of the 'To' field box. If you touch that it opens up your Contacts list. In the window that opens up you'll see a 'Groups' button to the top left hand side of the window and you can touch that to display any existing groups in your contacts list. However, even if you select a pre-existing group, you still have to choose the members of that group - one-by-one - that you want to include in the address field of the email. There is no option to simply include them all.

However, as always, there is an app to solve this problem. You need to download 'MailShot' from the iPad's app store. This provides the capability of creating new Groups in your Contacts list and the ability to select them - and all of the group members at once - from the iPad's native mail app. Most Forum members who use the iPad's native Mail app to send emails to multiple recipients use MailShot and it's received universal praise.

The 'red slider' that you mentioned was a separate matter. This occurs when you want to totally 'turn off' the iPad, rather than simply 'putting it to sleep' (when it just enters a low-power state). Sometimes powering the iPad completely down and then starting it up again can be a fix for a number of 'unexplained' problems - just like you might restart your PC occasionally.

Tim
Scotland

Hi Tim! I was just reading your tips on creating Groups on the iPad and I plan on getting the Mailshot app. I do have a question though. I read in Apple Help that I should be able to add Groups on the iPad by opening Contacts and clicking the red Group tab then clicking the + button to add a group. Well that's as far as I get...now I have three "untitled groups" that I can't rename or delete or add contacts to! I've created groups on my MacBook and those work great but Id love to have these groups on my iPhone and iPad. So is Mailshot the only way to accomplish that or can I somehow import those groups? Thanks for your time!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
donnalee said:
Hi Tim! I was just reading your tips on creating Groups on the iPad and I plan on getting the Mailshot app. I do have a question though. I read in Apple Help that I should be able to add Groups on the iPad by opening Contacts and clicking the red Group tab then clicking the + button to add a group. Well that's as far as I get...now I have three "untitled groups" that I can't rename or delete or add contacts to! I've created groups on my MacBook and those work great but Id love to have these groups on my iPhone and iPad. So is Mailshot the only way to accomplish that or can I somehow import those groups? Thanks for your time!

Welcome to the iPad Forums, donnalee! Our members are from around the world, all sharing their interest in the iPad. Many of our members volunteer their time to help other members find answers to their questions. Before posting, it's a good idea to read the forum rules.
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

You've picked a very old thread here, over a year and a half old. Tim Spracklen hasn't posted here in about a year and likely won't answer you. It would be better if you we're to ask your questions in their own thread, rather than tacking onto such an old thread.
We

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome to the iPad Forums, donnalee! Our members are from around the world, all sharing their interest in the iPad. Many of our members volunteer their time to help other members find answers to their questions. Before posting, it's a good idea to read the forum rules.

You've picked a very old thread here, over a year and a half old. Tim Spracklen hasn't posted here in about a year and likely won't answer you. It would be better if you we're to ask your questions in their own thread, rather than tacking onto such an old thread.
We

Agreed. donnalee, please open another thread for your question. This one is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts