What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contact Information Disappears

Ebony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3 32GB. V 8.1.2
My contact information suddenly disappeared. When I shut my iPad down and turn on again and open Contacts I can see my contact information for a millisecond then they disappear. Any ideas what is happening?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No idea what is happening, but a here's suggestion that might help: reset your iPad. Press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, let go of both. The iPad will power up on it's own.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3 32GB. V 8.1.2
My contact information suddenly disappeared. When I shut my iPad down and turn on again and open Contacts I can see my contact information for a millisecond then they disappear. Any ideas what is happening?

If the 'Reset' does not help and I'm assuming that you are talking about the native 'Contacts' app, let us know if you have iCloud activated and the sync settings for your contacts, etc. Dave :)

OP
E

Ebony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No idea what is happening, but a here's suggestion that might help: reset your iPad. Press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, let go of both. The iPad will power up on it's own.
Will this reset cause all my installed APPS to be removed? What happens to the installed data after reset?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No. The reset described will not delete anything. Think of it as restarting the iPad with a kick in the seat; just to get it's attention.

OP
E

Ebony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reset did not help,

OP
E

Ebony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the 'Reset' does not help and I'm assuming that you are talking about the native 'Contacts' app, let us know if you have iCloud activated and the sync settings for your contacts, etc. Dave :)
iCloud is activated. What do you mean by Sync settings for my contacts?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please keep all your posts on this topics to this thread only. I've deleted your other post on this topic as posting in more than one thread about the same topic can fragment any resulting responses making it hard to follow the topic. It's also against forum rules.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are using iCloud to sync your Contacts, go to icloud.com on a computer to make sure your contacts are there. Make sure they are all there, and up to date.

If they are, you can go to Settings > iCloud and turn off your Contacts. Tell it yes when it asks if you want to delete the local contacts. Visit the Contacts app to make sure they are gone and the app opens. Then go back to iCloud Settings and turn the Contacts back on.

This forces the contact database to download from iCloud again, giving you a clean and hopefully uncorrupted database.

I emphasis, only do this if your contacts are present and correct at icloud.com. If you sync your contacts with a different service it won't do anything. If you are not syncing them at all, you'll lose them all.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
With iOS 8.1.2 installed, you're also able to visit iCloud in Safari on your iPad. All you have to do is request the desktop site.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With iOS 8.1.2 installed, you're also able to visit iCloud in Safari on your iPad. All you have to do is request the desktop site.

Wow! That's the first I've heard of that. Thanks.

I tried it, and it works somewhat. Taping on the login dialog kept opening a 'forgot your password' page in a a new tab. I finally got logged in using 1Password's extension.

Somethings work. Some don't. Contacts worked well enough to check to see if they were there and view contact information. I did not try editing any of it. Calendar only let me use the month view and tap events to see their info. Other buttons (I did not try all of them) were unresponsive. Mail worked for reading and deleting, but was very sluggish. I didn't try the other apps, but I suspect the story will be the same. Some very basic things will work, but many controls will be unresponsive.

So while we can now get to icloud.com on the iPad, the site is still not meant for use by a touch device like the iPad.

For those wondering how to request the desktop site. Tap the URL bar then pull down on the icon view that appears. You'll see a couple of options, including the Request Desktop Site.

It never occurred to me to try this on icloud.com; though I have used it for a couple of other sites, not always to good effect.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418679135.309925.jpg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the features won't work because it takes a very long, or in some cases even endless time to load the site and some of the pages completely. Then it gets unresponsive.

I had problems logging out once, when I tried to change iCloud settings there. I never had problems with logging in.

OP
E

Ebony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are using iCloud to sync your Contacts, go to icloud.com on a computer to make sure your contacts are there. Make sure they are all there, and up to date.

If they are, you can go to Settings > iCloud and turn off your Contacts. Tell it yes when it asks if you want to delete the local contacts. Visit the Contacts app to make sure they are gone and the app opens. Then go back to iCloud Settings and turn the Contacts back on.

This forces the contact database to download from iCloud again, giving you a clean and hopefully uncorrupted database.

I emphasis, only do this if your contacts are present and correct at icloud.com. If you sync your contacts with a different service it won't do anything. If you are not syncing them at all, you'll lose them all.
I never used my iCloud to sync my contacts. how would I do that?

Last edited:
OP
E

Ebony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never used my iCloud to
I went to iCloud and turned off my contacts setting. Went back to contacts opened them. Went back to my contacts setting and turned them back on. Went to my contacts. nothing happened.

Most reactions

Latest posts