What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Consumers Want iPhone 5, Not iPad Mini, According to Survey

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_mini_case.JPG

Although Apple has yet to officially announce the iPad mini yet (we’ve got to wait until September 12 for that), it’s pretty much a certainty that a smaller version of the iPad will be with us before the end of the year. Some of us think this is a great move by Apple and are already making plans to buy one, but according to a survey reported on by Cult of Mac today, the majority of consumers polled would actually prefer to buy the new iPhone (also to be announced on September 12, we think) than an iPad mini, given the choice. The survey, from CouponCodes4u.com, polled 1,873 Americans on the matter, and found that 78% of respondents said that they are more likely to buy the next iPhone rather than the iPad mini. 77% of that 78% already owned an iPhone. When they were asked why they preferred to get a new iPhone rather than the iPad mini, 46% said that the iPad mini was “pointless†whereas 39% said that it was because they would use the iPhone more. Of the minority who said that they would prefer to buy an iPad mini instead of an iPhone, 52% already have an iPad. 69% of those who preferred the iPad mini gave the reason for their choice as being because the next iPhone would not be much different to the current iPhone 4S. 41% of all respondents actually said that Apple should not even be releasing the iPad mini. Very interesting stuff. I have to say that I think the iPad mini will most definitely find its market, especially if it’s competitively priced. We’ll just have to wait and see though!

Source: Nearly 80% Of Americans Would Shun iPad Mini In Favor Of iPhone 5 | Cult of Mac

Laddie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have theiPad 1 but find it too heavy for long sessions reading ebooks and internet articles (which I do a lot). So I purchased a Nexus 7 and found it did a great job overcoming these shortcomings in my iPad. However the Nexus is not as user friendly as the iPad and a max 16 GB and no 3G are other drawbacks. I know there is the cloud and I could set up a hotspot with my iPhone if wifi is not available. However, its the convenience of having these things built in that make the devices so immediately useful.
So if Apple release an a Nexus 7 sized version of the latest iPad - retina display, 3G and 64GB - I will be one of their first customers. If they don't, I will be happy to keep the Nexus which is an excellent product.

mannyberrios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad 3, and I am very happy with it. I also have the iPhone 4, and if I had to choose. I would take the new iPhone

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This still does not change my mind in wanting an iPad mini. Will look forward to seeing it launched in the Fall.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad_mini_case.JPG

Although Apple has yet to officially announce the iPad mini yet (we’ve got to wait until September 12 for that), it’s pretty much a certainty that a smaller version of the iPad will be with us before the end of the year. Some of us think this is a great move by Apple and are already making plans to buy one, but according to a survey reported on by Cult of Mac today, the majority of consumers polled would actually prefer to buy the new iPhone (also to be announced on September 12, we think) than an iPad mini, given the choice. The survey, from CouponCodes4u.com, polled 1,873 Americans on the matter, and found that 78% of respondents said that they are more likely to buy the next iPhone rather than the iPad mini. 77% of that 78% already owned an iPhone. When they were asked why they preferred to get a new iPhone rather than the iPad mini, 46% said that the iPad mini was “pointless” whereas 39% said that it was because they would use the iPhone more. Of the minority who said that they would prefer to buy an iPad mini instead of an iPhone, 52% already have an iPad. 69% of those who preferred the iPad mini gave the reason for their choice as being because the next iPhone would not be much different to the current iPhone 4S. 41% of all respondents actually said that Apple should not even be releasing the iPad mini. Very interesting stuff. I have to say that I think the iPad mini will most definitely find its market, especially if it’s competitively priced. We’ll just have to wait and see though!

Source: Nearly 80% Of Americans Would Shun iPad Mini In Favor Of iPhone 5 | Cult of Mac

It seems like a big leap to survey about 1,900 people and then run a headline saying "80 percent of Americans" based on those results, lol.

IMO, the survey is meaningless because there's no pricing or specs, and people are rejecting an abstract idea. As Steve Jobs used to say, most people don't know what they want. I think results would vary if there were an actual device to consider, especially if price points were relatively low. Most people lack the imagination to judge about a device that doesn't exist. Heck, look at how many people dismissed iPad when it was announced, and then had to eat their own words, lol.

Of course, a mini iPad could flop -- just depends on what Apple delivers and at what price point.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thinking about buying them for bros. I think there's a market for parents to purchase for children. I notice lots of Tweens and teens with kindle fire since its only 199

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thinking about buying them for bros. I think there's a market for parents to purchase for children. I notice lots of Tweens and teens with kindle fire since its only 199

I'm liking what I hear, HKwrite!! :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since I'm locked I to a contract until early 2014, I'm more interested in the mini. However, if I were close to the end of my phone contact, i'd be pining for the phone. I'm sure there are lots of folks who are wanting some phone love right now. I'm also sure there will be plenty of folks who will get both once the devices land.

callthedoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Suspect the mini iPad is to compete with other sized tablets...(i.e...7" Nexus, etc)

Wonder how much more expensive it will be...

I have an android phone...contemplating the iPhone vs. the Galaxy3 for my next...seeing a larger screened iPhone would probably seal my decision.

I vote iPhone.

Deepu55555

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both iPad 3 and iPhone 4s and the new iPad is amazing. My first choice is iPhone 5 but I need a small iPad as well.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since I'm locked I to a contract until early 2014, I'm more interested in the mini. However, if I were close to the end of my phone contact, i'd be pining for the phone. I'm sure there are lots of folks who are wanting some phone love right now. I'm also sure there will be plenty of folks who will get both once the devices land.

I'm willing to pay full price for a phone, but at this point I'm not sure how they could tempt me. My phones already do so much, and it's not like I'm craving more features. If 4S hadn't been offered in 64GBs, I probably wouldn't have upgraded from iPhone 4. And then I got a 5" Samsung Galaxy Note.

I know a lot of people with iPhones, and the older ones -- 40s and above -- don't seem so keen on the latest anything. They can all afford upgrades, but I see a good number carrying iPhones from a generation or two ago. The younger people (20-somethings I know) seem keenest on the latest devices.

My iPad 1 and 2 still work well, and Apple didn't tempt me with the latest iPad. I'd like get excited about a new iPad, but part of Apple's problem is they've already made me content. And stuff I'd get excited about, like SD card access, isn't something Apple offers.

I also know a good number of people with iPads (more middle age than younger ones) and they seem happy enough without upgrading.

jessica68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my iPad and totally love my galaxy3. Two different worlds, love enjoying both worlds ;)

Although, excellent point for the kids...that's a market!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Unleashed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the new iPad 64 gb and lte but I would get the new iPhone and stick with the new iPad even if there is a iPad mini aka the iPod touch lol I like the size of the current iPad and even though it is a little on the heavy side it's mostly on my lap or resting some where to make typing easier so the case was a good idea. The only thing that would be better is a 128gb model and even then I would still not buy the iPad mini, the iPad is something I don't plan on upgrading any time soon maybe once every 5 years but the iPhone every 2

Last edited:

cherryhesh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm willing to pay full price for a phone, but at this point I'm not sure how they could tempt me. My phones already do so much, and it's not like I'm craving more features. If 4S hadn't been offered in 64GBs, I probably wouldn't have upgraded from iPhone 4. And then I got a 5" Samsung Galaxy Note.

I know a lot of people with iPhones, and the older ones -- 40s and above -- don't seem so keen on the latest anything. They can all afford upgrades, but I see a good number carrying iPhones from a generation or two ago. The younger people (20-somethings I know) seem keenest on the latest devices.

My iPad 1 and 2 still work well, and Apple didn't tempt me with the latest iPad. I'd like get excited about a new iPad, but part of Apple's problem is they've already made me content. And stuff I'd get excited about, like SD card access, isn't something Apple offers.

I also know a good number of people with iPads (more middle age than younger ones) and they seem happy enough without upgrading.
I'm one of those middle-agers.... but I still need the newest/hottest product. What I am thinking about doing before the new iPhone comes out this fall is paying to get out of my contract early and going with one of these services that offers free online everything for $45 a month. If you pay to get out of your contract I hear they will unlock the phone for you.

But I love my iPad3 with Verizon LTE. Mostly I just can't wait to get LTE speeds on my iPhone 5 since I'm still stuck with AT&T on 4G (wannabe).

Most reactions

Latest posts