What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constant problem of disconnect from Wifi

deanxxi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the forum; I just found it. My problem is that my iPad can't seem to hold a Wifi connection. The router is sitting right next to me, so it's not a weak signal problem. I can't figure it out. Anyway, any help on this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Deanxxi

cjmess

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. Have you heard back from anyone who knows how to stop this? I have a Netgear router.

OP
D

deanxxi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I haven't had anybody reply yet. I really don't remember it happening before this last iOS upgrade, so I'm thinking it may be related to that, I don't know. I've got a standard issue Verizon router I don't think is even N protocol. But it should work being so close. This problem is more likely coming from the iPad. deanxxi

OP
D

deanxxi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By way of update, I solved the problem. Having already changed from wep to wpa2 and doing the restart thing for iPad and router, etc--and it still didn't solve the dropping, I turned off "auto" brightness. For some reason, that did the trick. I got no info from this forum at all, and it seems Apple's official stance is to say this problem only affects a very few and so not much on it; but the tip for the brightness control I got from some official Apple address to the problem, I can't remember where. Anyway, problem over. deanxxi

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is an ongoing problem with all three iPad generations. Apple's own iPad forum has a lot of info on this problem. One thread had over 600 posts. I solved it by changing my router but it looks like there are several causes and the same fix does not work for all.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First of all, Welcome to the Forum,

I see you've had no response from anyone, and I must say this saddens me, it's not indicative of this Forum, as we do try to help all members. Having said that, a simple search would have turned up quite a few threads on this issue. Each different area of the Forum have members interested in those particular subjects, so if you need some help, it is best to post your thread in the Help section where you will get a better response, so I will move this thread there. Below you'll find a link which I think you will find interesting and very helpful in solving your problem.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/54428-unable-connect-wi-fi.html#post373016

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Last edited:

Zeke1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
You say a standard issue Verizon router? That could be it right there. My replacement router I got from Verizon late last year heated up so bad that the dsl socket practically un-soldered itself from the board. I have to use my old router now. Verizon has awful hardware, I'm guessing yours is a standard issue Westell modem-router combo without an antenna? That's the one that broke for me.
ANYWAY
How does the connection hold with other devices? Is it just the iPad?

Edit: Erm, nevermind last edit haha.

Last edited:
OP
D

deanxxi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Leelai for your comments and helpful information on the forums; and thanks for your input, as well, Zeke1. I agree, Verizon has really lousy routers and hardware, which often makes me question myself for going with FIOS. On the connection with other devices, I only have problems with the iPad. As it's been about a day since turning off the 'auto' brightness setting, I have had a few drop-offs, but I can shake the iPad just a little and it reconnects. I'm going to take Leelai's advice and look in the help section and search out on it further information. And I am going to call Verizon to see if there are any router upgrades I could get. Thanks, again. deanxxi

letcustomershang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you fellow customer, not Apple, for this solution

Incredible that Apple doesn't need to stand behind its products by providing customer service the way a normal retail business would. Apple makes the customers get the solution from other customers. Apple is too busy counting the money to help customers.

But thank you, fellow customer, for stepping in with the auto bright solution to fix the constant disconnecting problem. We should not as a customer base allow them to get away with this nonsense.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Incredible that Apple doesn't need to stand behind its products by providing customer service the way a normal retail business would. Apple makes the customers get the solution from other customers. Apple is too busy counting the money to help customers.

But thank you, fellow customer, for stepping in with the auto bright solution to fix the constant disconnecting problem. We should not as a customer base allow them to get away with this nonsense.

Well, if Apple had all the answers, there would be no use for forums such as this one, and then what we do with our evenings. There's only so many ways of talking about the weather. ;)

I've learned a hell of a lot about my iPad and iPhone by researching other people's problems.

letcustomershang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately the "auto bright" solution did not last long and the ipad started disconnecting from the wifi again. Many people don't have time to learn the details of new technology that will be obsolete in a year or so anyway, negating the time investment in it. I need a product that costs $800 to work with a minimum of intervention on my part.

To everyone who has this problem, the latest I solution I got from Apple was that their latest "upgrade", IOS 6.0, caused this problem. I called Apple and they had me install IOS 6.0.1. The problem has now been fixed for 8 hours and we hope this time that the product will be more reliable. Give Apple a call at 800-275-2273 and ask for a waiver of the $19 phone support fee on the grounds that their "upgrade" caused this problem and therefore we as customers expect Apple to restore the product to working condition gratis. After all, we are spending our time on this and should certainly not have to pay any money to get the ipad restored to satisfactory condition.

Ipadthree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hallelujah

By way of update, I solved the problem. Having already changed from wep to wpa2 and doing the restart thing for iPad and router, etc--and it still didn't solve the dropping, I turned off "auto" brightness. For some reason, that did the trick. I got no info from this forum at all, and it seems Apple's official stance is to say this problem only affects a very few and so not much on it; but the tip for the brightness control I got from some official Apple address to the problem, I can't remember where. Anyway, problem over. deanxxi

Having looked for days of this problem, I read about the changing firmware which is always being suggested and never actually do anything, whether it is for the iPad or computer. I see even in this post someone is suggesting iOS 6 is supposed to fix it, which of course it won't. as nobody seems to know the source of the problem, how can the newi iOS fix it. Even changing the router, which would be my next step, does not make sense, as all my other units work well on the wifi. Anyway, i was getting very annoyed, both at the problem, but also at the standardised suggestions, and finally very pleased to see that the auto brightness fixed it.

True, it still disconnects, but at least now it also reconnects so it is as good as it can get. Don't listen to the people who say it doesn't work, as it fixed this problem for me, when nothing else did. (reset network, reboot, renew, forget,etc). If your router don't work, or your network settings are wrong, of course it might be this causing the problem, but for the iPad continually disconnecting from the wifi without reconnecting, the auto brightness off setting fixes it. Thanks, iPad 3iOS 5.1 (jb)

WVD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just installed the iOS 6.0.1 on the iPad stills disconnect, I changed my channel width on my router (my router is a TL-MR3420) to 20 MHz and the iPad doesn't disconnect as often but it still does. Something I do to reconnect to the wi-fi once disconnected is to turn off and on the wi-fi option on the iPad (wait a couple of seconds before you turn it on). At least I don't need to restart the router all the time.

I also have the same problem with my iPhone 4

Little Wolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wifi disconnected every 30 seconds. I read this solution about turning off the auto brightness and it worked!! I have no idea why!?

Most reactions

Latest posts