What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering an iPad, But..

spencermukai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings all iPad users. I've been an EeePC netbook user since early last year. I'm semi-retired, as I got laid-off from my most recent employer of 6 years(back in July 2010). Anyway, I'm a daily/all-day user of my netbook, which it's 12-in. screen is quite good. But, I want to be more mobile. I also am considering cutting back and terminating my cable co. cable modem service, though it has worked well, saving thirty plus dollars would help my budget.
Thus, my debate is whether to consider the first-generation iPad with Apple's discounted pricing, or consider the new iPad 2. I've reviewed the specs of the iPad 2 but is the first-gen iPad really that bad. I understand, like other products, the first version is not always what's expected by the consuner. Oh yeah, so my usage daily are: emails, bit of social networking, watching tv episodes, listening to internet radio off and on, keeping up with technology news. would like to read magazines and books, daily bible reading, photo uploading from my canon camera sometimes, then uploading to like fb.

All iPad users and expertise comments/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Spencer

zumini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have an iPad and I use it in ways similar to how you described you plan to use it. It's great! It handles everything I throw at it, it's mobile, and I love using it. That said, if I could pay $100 to upgrade it to an iPad 2, I would. For the extra money, I'd get a faster, thinner, lighter machine with cameras.

In the end, it really boils down to what you're comfortable spending. Do you need the extra features of the iPad 2? Maybe, maybe not. Would you take advantage of them if you had them? I know I would!

OP
S

spencermukai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I know what my decision will be....faster, thinner and features...

OP
S

spencermukai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to hear these expert advise, recommendations. Just what I want to hear....Thanks

cosmonaut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 1, I say get the latest and greatest go for the Ipad 2. I do wish I had some kind of way to watch videos. But I understand Steve Jobs stand on Flash. But it is one heck of a drawback. Be fore warned.

OP
S

spencermukai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your advise. So, if one of my to-do's, is to watch CBS episodes every week. And if I wanted to see any favs on Hulu, I would'nt be able to watch it on either of the iPads?

Much appreciated.

Spencer

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your advise. So, if one of my to-do's, is to watch CBS episodes every week. And if I wanted to see any favs on Hulu, I would'nt be able to watch it on either of the iPads?

Much appreciated.

Spencer

You can watch TV shows on an iPad. As posted above, there are apps available--you mentioned Hulu, there is a Hulu app. You can get Netflix. You can get CBS News Apps. There is an ABC Player app. NBC has a couple of apps. You will be amazed at how the iPad displays these TV/Movie programs. Note: I am assuming you are in the USA.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whether ipad1 or 2, u can't go wrong. There are great deals on ipad1 now. If $$$ no issue, and you a first time buyer, treat urself to the ipad2, with all the new bells n whistles ;-)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Much appreciated.

Spencer

You can watch CBS episodes on the iPad - as long as you have the Skyfire app. Well, let me clarify: I've watch episodes of NCIS on my iPad using the Skyfire app.

That app isn't perfect and it is a bit of a hassle to get the video loaded up on the Skyfire website. But, in a pinch (e.g. forgot to tape the episode for TV-watching when I went out), it'll work.

May be worth looking into?

Marilyn

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would definitely spend the money if you can and go to the iPad 2. I actually think it's a better financial decision in the long run. Eventually the iPad will reach it's limitations, and you would get to a point where you have a device that you aren't crazy about and prices will have dropped to where resell value is less.

Also, since you like video, I think the apps available for the iPad 2 that take advantage of the graphics processor being 9 times more powerful will be hitting the market eventually. 6 months from now the iPad 2 will still be going strong, where the lack of features on the first iPad will be showing up.

You stated that you were considering ditching your cable Internet. I understand needing to save $30 a month, but if you will be watching a lot of video, you may want to consider keeping it. The bandwidth on your home Internet is probably a lot higher (faster) than the mobile 3G. This isn't really a big deal unless movies and video are a primary use for the iPad. The video quality will most likely be not as good over 3G, and depending on how many hours of video you watch, you may reach the limit of the 2GB data plan and end up spending more to buy more data on your plan than the $30 a month you are paying for home Internet.

The iPad and iPad 2 are absolutely amazing, and it sounds like the PERFECT device for what your needs are. Good luck to you, and let me know if I can help you in any way. Feel free to Send me a private message.

michaelplogue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I'll be the dissenting voice here among all of the recommendations to go with the latest iteration of the iPad. ;)

I am constantly asked for advise from people looking to buy a computer. And I always first reply with 'how much are you willing to spend?' and in most cases to recommend that they never buy the most recent generation.

Most computer users - similar to yourself - have very simple needs for their computing tasks. Internet, e-mail, e-books, etc. No real heavy lifting involved in their day-to-day activities. The speed/performance of watching videos and movies (on-line) is more dependent on your internet connection than anything else.

In general, buying the most recent version of hardware is not at all cost effective. In fact, you end up throwing away a lot of money just to be the 'fastest kid on the block." There is normally a huge price difference between the new generation and 'last-year's-model, and the differences in performance is not something that the ordinary user will even notice.

Since you stated that you're semi-retired, and currently unemployed, I would make the assumption that the purse strings may be a bit tight. In such a case, I would go to the fall-back question "what are you willing to spend?" That should be your baseline for making any purchasing decision. If you can afford the best without it hurting your pocket too much, then certainly get the newest version. If you are not a "power-user" and cash is tight, don't waste money on "increased performance" you'll never miss. It's simply not a good "investment."

Buy the best when you can afford it. Save some money by buying an older generation model if you can't.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I know what my decision will be....faster, thinner and features...

The best review site IMO is anandtech.com ... especially the technical description of the new processor A5 and the graphic processor GPU. If you are technically savvy it all makes sense.

The bottom line is, the processor can handle data twice as fast. The graphical unit is reported up to 9x faster, but in the real world it is more like 7 times. That is huge. Pages fill faster, reloads are faster, everything is smoother. It is way better than Xoom graphically and cost less and has a better display presentation.

As software is developed to take advantage of these new performance characteristics, your display will be even more spectacular.

In particular it is much nicer to hold as it is 33% thinner and weighs less so it is less tiring to hold it in one hand. The new roll back cover converts to a triangular stand that is really handy for watching movies, etc. Cover is extra.

All this at the same price as the original iPAD. Naturally, the price dropped $100 and Best Buy and other stores may have some left. They are in fairly high demand for the budget minded folks.

Lots of luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts