What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

connecting ipad to cellphone for wifi?

MsAmandaLove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I heard you can use your mobile phone as a wifi router to connect to the internet through your ipad.
anyone know anything about this?

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a droid x "rooted" and have the app called wireless tether in the android market....open the app, press Button to tether(puts out signal from my phone called "android tether" that my wifi only iPad can connect to when I'm not home and away from my wireless network and it bypasses the mobile Hotspot through Verizon and they never know

OP
M

MsAmandaLove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so you can only do it with that type phone? Or can it be done with others? I have a samsung strive.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a lot of phones can be rooted but I would suggest trying to find a forum for your type of phone and search for rooting it and stuff. That's what I do, I'm between this forum and the droid x all the time since I have them both. Sometimes there are different step and programs to root different phones thats why I say that

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rooting is not an option since the phone is not an Android based phone. Call your carrier and ask them if it can be used as a modem or a wifi hotpost.

nate

Emodracer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a jailbroken iPhone 4, and an app called mywi, and I tether my phone and iPad, and my laptop.
The mywi app is 20 bucks, but that's a one time fee. Better than paying a monthly charge for capped tethering data through the carrier.

RedWings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do this with my EVO 4G that is rooted. It works really well.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Verizon offered the Palm Pre Plus phones back in April/May with free mobile hot spot so decided to go that route and buy wifi Ipads since we also have lots of free wifi in our small town from car dealers to dr. offices to DT area. I use it mostly on the road but not all that often. Works quite well, esp in Verizon 3G areas. The phone has to be capable of it plus in almost all instances you pay an additional charge on top of your data plan. We were lucky since this was a marketing tool to get more buyers of the Palm phones (and they are okay--esp since we do almost everything else in our Ipads). We have it for 2 years (well 18 mos now) and will reassess what we'll do.

Diane

Most reactions

Latest posts