What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

connecting hard disk to ipad using USB connector.!

vo0oZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all i started this thread to c the wide possibilities u can do with a USB connector.
Any pointers on best apps for connecting an hard disk.
Btw u can connect a hard disk to an iPad if u want, if ur hard disk supports a external power source I guess.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll find several other threads on the Forum concerning the use of external hard discs with the Forum and the various problems that Members encountered and their solutions, if any.

Tim

tremblayd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why would apple add a usb outlet on the ipad??? Its not a computer, its a tablet. Their two completely different things. The ipad charges on a usb outlet. Why would you even want that feature ? For transfering photos? Then buy the ipad camera kit.

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tremblayd said:
Why would apple add a usb outlet on the ipad??? Its not a computer, its a tablet. Their two completely different things. The ipad charges on a usb outlet. Why would you even want that feature ? For transfering photos? Then buy the ipad camera kit.

Calm down! For a start, you do need the the camera connection kit for this anyway, but since the iPad is such an excellent media consumption device and it only comes with a fairly small internal memory then don't you think that people might want to have access to a bigger hard drive or memory stick filled with films, photos or other files available?

You need to be jailbroken for this to work but it's absolutely possible and it's an excellent tool to expand the capabilities of an iPad. The only problem is that the power output from the iPad isn't very big so it can only power fairly small memory sticks, or external hdd's if they've got a psu of it's own.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think that the answer to the lack of physical connectivity on the iPad lies with WiFi.

It is already quite easy to access files on a network drive (NAS) and portable WiFi hard drives are starting to appear, aimed largely at the tablet market.

Software to support external storage is still an issue because of the sandboxed file system in iOS. Apps such as FileBrowser, GoodReader etc are helpful and the HDD manufacturers seem to be working towards Apps that compliment their hardware offerings.

I think that many of us will be satisfied with a tablet/NAS configuration for home computing. The question for me is whether my tablet of choice in the future is iPad, Android or something else?

OP
vo0oZ

vo0oZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will I tried some devices
Small USB less than OR equal 8 GB will work, but I am trying to find a gd app to recognize USB stick and start copying media from and into
Btw I am not jail broken so....I know lower the choices

OP
vo0oZ

vo0oZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
incapete said:
Calm down! For a start, you do need the the camera connection kit for this anyway, but since the iPad is such an excellent media consumption device and it only comes with a fairly small internal memory then don't you think that people might want to have access to a bigger hard drive or memory stick filled with films, photos or other files available?

You need to be jailbroken for this to work but it's absolutely possible and it's an excellent tool to expand the capabilities of an iPad. The only problem is that the power output from the iPad isn't very big so it can only power fairly small memory sticks, or external hdd's if they've got a psu of it's own.

Will I think u want it if u want something from ur friend USB, and there is no computers around, and even if there was u need to install apps on them.

Lusid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So for USB it's got to be jailbreak + cck+ ifile. But there are two hard drive solutions that don't need a jailbreak. One uses the cck, but has some firmware to let you pull down videos and pictures into the photo app. Neat, but the photo app is a pretty limited media player.

The other is the seagate go flex satellite. Its a self contained, rechargeable wifi nas. It can be accessed via a web interface, a free iOS app, or a upnp/dlna client app and holds 500gigs of content.

OP
vo0oZ

vo0oZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
will I tried one thing and it did work:
Changing A USB stick folder to "DCIM" and put picture in them and ur IPad will recognize them, but not video!!
wanna try the DCIM thing with video player apps.
tell what will happen :)
And I don't want to use wireless apps like dropbox that u need to install a server on another computer or have itunes, transfer files in airplane mode :p
(BTW can I say which apps i recommend and don't??). I read the rules :)

Lusid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The DCIM folder structure has strict requirements. If you stick to the specification for subfolder and file naming the camera app will see the video files. But it doesn't use the metadata or file name. You have to copy the file into the camera roll to play it, and if you copy more than 1 its not easy to tell them apart.

OP
vo0oZ

vo0oZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You now I was hopping to get some pointers on good apps, and stuff...but non really
I got an app called good reader that connects to USB trying to figure a way really
Tell u what happens with me

vlaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
are there any firmware dependency when attaching 3rd party camera connection kits (5-in-1 a/o similar) ?
Thx

OP
vo0oZ

vo0oZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
vlaho said:
are there any firmware dependency when attaching 3rd party camera connection kits (5-in-1 a/o similar) ?
Thx

No I didn't have any firmware difficulties, but I guess you will find better apps if jailbroken

Most reactions