What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compose in HTML

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I normally use Thunderbird as my email client on the PC. On the iPad, we have the included mail client which I find to be a little limited in capability. Hence, I normally use webmail on the iPad.

I can use 3 different Webmail clients to connect to my email provider's site. When using the PC I can select to compose in HTML in two of them (Roundcube and Horde). When I try to do the same thing using the iPad to access the sites everything works fine until I try to compose in HTML. For example, if I quote and have HTML composing turned on, the window with all the Bold, Links, and so on icons appears and the message being quoted shows up in HTML format. However, any attempts to place an insertion point in the composing window fails.

I have tried this in both Safari and Atomic Browser.

Any workaround for this? It is hard to believe that a company that values graphical composition would not allow one to compose in HTML (or at least in rtf).

Any workarounds?

Thanks.

Mike

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Text editors on sites are written in a variety of ways. Not all of them are compatible with mobile browses. And even when you use something that is, like Javascript, not everyone tests for the mobile browsers to see if they will work.

The more capable the text editor, the more likely there will be something that does not work. This is partly Apple's fault, not intentional, but because they could put more effort into making mobile Safari compatible. It is also partly web developers fault, because they haven't put the effort into testing and supporting mobile devices.

You might check to see if your provider has a mobile enabled version of the email client. Many do. Unfortunately most of the mobile sites get their compatibility by limiting what you can do.

Yes, I know. that's three plus paragraphs of not-much-help.

OP
M

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The clients I am using are provided by my email provider. Unfortunately the provider is basically a very good IMAP server and only makes Webmail available as an afterthought. I would have thought an Apple email client would have provided that feature. I was hoping that since PC browsers work that something on the iPad would also. Oh well! Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is an app called MarkdownMail that will give you limited ability to compose HTML email and send it with the Mail client. You'll have to learn Markdown syntax.

That's all I can find.

Edit: A little more searching showed something called Note & Share that works much the same way, but looks to be the better program.

Last Edit: Another app called NoteMaster looks like you can compose notes and sent them as html emails without learning Markdown.

None of these are as convenient as having ti built into the email client, of course.

Last edited:
OP
M

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the research I will take a look at them.

Do you know anything about the Better Webmail app?

Most reactions

Latest posts