What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

compatability

aafall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an I-mac with a G5 processor. Will I be able to download from it into my new I-pad. I understand you need a Intel Processor.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think as long as you can install the latest iTunes you should be fine.

denmiller60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aafall, concerning G5 compatibility ... my problem too ... I'm sure I have read the iPad needs Mac OS 10.5, 10.6 which means the Intel chip. I was wondering about turning on HOME SHARING and using the wifi in my home. I also read that movies bought for the iPod Nano (or, before the iPad launch) won't play on the iPad ... movies I had just bought 2 days before that to help with falling asleep at night [love the sleep timer on the 5th Gen Nano]. I've held off on all but web surfing since I had to stop working but began to catch the bug 3 months ago. AND, if I need a new machine, which one? iMac's offer more than ever, MacPros supposedly going to be updated in next few months. I hope I am incorrect concerning the G5 chip with iTunes for the iPad (know it's okay with the iPods). Just a little excited, right? :D

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Compatibility is as gentlefury says. Software based. Not system, not hardware but software based. It's just a question of having the same recent iTunes installed on all communicating devices. Even PCs.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here are the requirements to run the newest version of iTunes:
  • Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5 or G4 processor

Here are the Mac requirements for the iPad:

If your Mac meets those requirements, your good to go.
(All info taken from Apple website)

Gayle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aafall, concerning G5 compatibility ... my problem too ... I'm sure I have read the iPad needs Mac OS 10.5, 10.6 which means the Intel chip. I was wondering about turning on HOME SHARING and using the wifi in my home. I also read that movies bought for the iPod Nano (or, before the iPad launch) won't play on the iPad ... movies I had just bought 2 days before that to help with falling asleep at night [love the sleep timer on the 5th Gen Nano]. I've held off on all but web surfing since I had to stop working but began to catch the bug 3 months ago. AND, if I need a new machine, which one? iMac's offer more than ever, MacPros supposedly going to be updated in next few months. I hope I am incorrect concerning the G5 chip with iTunes for the iPad (know it's okay with the iPods). Just a little excited, right? :D

Is this true? I have purchased many movies from iTunes for my iPod 5th gen.:confused:

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to check the format of the movies. What are they? M4V using MEPG encoding? If so as long as they are smaller then 640x480 they should work, they just won't have very good quality most likely. *edit* Sorry, they won't be HD 720p quality.

Those just came out didn't they!? In 2009, of course they are going to work.

If you don't know what your videos are just go into iTunes and right click it to get info or show info. It'll be in there along with resolution.

Last edited:

victormarcus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
G4 G5 to I pad

I believe 10.58 is Leopard which will run on a G4 or G5. Snow Leopard requires the Intel chip. That said Amazon sells Leopard for $240. My G4 isnt worth it. Other options are Mobile Me which will sync all your devices. It too says you need 10.58 but a good friend says on older osx it uses the .mac interface. First thing I will do is plug my Ipad into my g4 w/ 10.47 and see what works.
Its $99./yr but in three years Ill probably have a new machine.

Most reactions

Latest posts