What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Common Access Card (CAC) for email

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmidtc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello. Does anyone know how to use a CAC card for accessing a military email account, specifically NMCI web email. I have card readers that work for my windows desktops and laptops but would like to be able to use my ipad to access the email account. I do not think these card readers will work for this. I think I need one that works via bluetooth and not usb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DaWeav

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think we are all waiting for the day this draft iPhone/iPad document matures. The document reveals hard token CAC support should be available in December 2010, and Apple is marketing iOS 4.2 has having better 'enterprise' support which is due out any day now. So, it seems you might get your wish soon, but it also looks like all iOS devices will still have to be secured from vulnerabilities by using the Good Technology server product. So, who knows if you will be able to use your privately owned device, but my bet is probably not. Anyway, time will tell over the next few months it seems, but I will bet RIM is getting more than a bit nervous since iPhones could start eating away at their monopoly with the feds using Blackberrys for secure email. However, the feds get Blackberry's typically for FREE under contact, so I don't think Apple will be matching that deal anytime soon. But, I will say that securing iOS devices has to be relatively simple since the iOS platform itself is natively secure as we all know. Tick-Tock...

DaWeav

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Additionally, reading the document further it also states that hard token CAC support should be available in 'December 2010', and goes on to say that even though the Bluetooth SCR isn't approved or available yet, a SCR may be used with a 'wired' connection. I presume that means a Smartcard reader can be connected to an iPhone/iPad running iOS 4.x? I'm not at all sure how someone can connect a USB device (wired SCR) to the iPhone, but is the Camera Dock Connector the option to connect a SCR to an iPad? This is intriguing, but I still don't know if any SCR drivers will be native in iOS 4.x, or just part of the Good Technology app. After all, you may want to have SCR authentication available for WiFi connectivity as well, right?

OP
S

schmidtc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Either over wifi or 3g. Thank you for the information. I look forward to seeing what the new update will bring and hopefully further developments will come soon.

Secureonipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thursby Software, long-time supplier of Mac CAC integration software, hints at coming iPad CAC software, "PKard for iOS", on its site.

Secureonipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a great bluetooth CAC reader.

Any solution will be a combo of software drivers and hardware since iOS 4 and 5 don't have built in CAC support.

Secureonipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Free CAC/PIV app and $149.99 reader

Suggest checking out Thursby Software's PKard line for Mac, iPads and iPhones.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread has been started in 2010. None of the participants has been back since 2012.
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts