What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comcat XFinity App for IPAD - no live broadcast

Vulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just downloaded the Xfinity app for iPAD. It has some limited capability for me because I use a TIVO Premiere as my cable box. So I cannot use the app to send recording requests (for that Tivo has its own ipad app which works great).

The thing I was looking for was streaming of live channels instead of on-demand type access.

The news blip about the Comcast app seemed to suggest that certain channels will be live. But it does not appear to be the case ... even though I am on a Comcast internet backbone here.

Any thoughts ?

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vulcan said:
I just downloaded the Xfinity app for iPAD. It has some limited capability for me because I use a TIVO Premiere as my cable box. So I cannot use the app to send recording requests (for that Tivo has its own ipad app which works great).

The thing I was looking for was streaming of live channels instead of on-demand type access.

The news blip about the Comcast app seemed to suggest that certain channels will be live. But it does not appear to be the case ... even though I am on a Comcast internet backbone here.

Any thoughts ?

You can only watch on-demand with it. And the quality of the picture is not good. Netflix blows it away. Only thing it's good for IMO is using it as a remote control and setting the DVR with it. It's much easier and pleasing than using the remote with the on screen menu.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think u have to have a certain type of com cast cable box to do the live streaming, along with Dvr, and remote control. I have the same app but can't get any of those functions to work as I read the manual for the app saying only on certain cable boxes will those features be enabled. The Xfinity app is pretty decent, for what it does. It's better thn no com cast app at all..lol

allie912

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought quality of picture was good

You can only watch on-demand with it. And the quality of the picture is not good. Netflix blows it away. Only thing it's good for IMO is using it as a remote control and setting the DVR with it. It's much easier and pleasing than using the remote with the on screen menu.[/QUOTE]

I watched a movie from Showtime in bed last night and was happy for 2 reasons. 1) I thought the image was outstanding. Better than the actual movie 2) It confirmed my decision not to get a DVR box from Comcast for my bedroom tv. So now, instead of basic cable, I have some good choices on the rare occasions I want to watch tv in bed.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They just did an update yesterday and now they have more choices than on demand. There is really a lot of networks now. But still nothing live, I mean it is on demand on the iPad but not on demand like they have in the cable box menu. Quality of the stream is MUCH improved too. At first it's fuzzy but sharpens up nicely after about 15 seconds.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
allie912 said:
You can only watch on-demand with it. And the quality of the picture is not good. Netflix blows it away. Only thing it's good for IMO is using it as a remote control and setting the DVR with it. It's much easier and pleasing than using the remote with the on screen menu.

I watched a movie from Showtime in bed last night and was happy for 2 reasons. 1) I thought the image was outstanding. Better than the actual movie 2) It confirmed my decision not to get a DVR box from Comcast for my bedroom tv. So now, instead of basic cable, I have some good choices on the rare occasions I want to watch tv in bed.[/QUOTE]

Did you get the update as well? Like I said above that's when it really improved for me.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
totemynote said:
I watched a movie from Showtime in bed last night and was happy for 2 reasons. 1) I thought the image was outstanding. Better than the actual movie 2) It confirmed my decision not to get a DVR box from Comcast for my bedroom tv. So now, instead of basic cable, I have some good choices on the rare occasions I want to watch tv in bed.

Did you get the update as well? Like I said above that's when it really improved for me.[/QUOTE]

I did the update the other day. It seems as if I'm only able to watch movies/shows in the "Play Now" section. The "on demand" section only shows u the movie/show summary. How do u play those ones in that section on the iPad? Also, it seems as if it only shows the ones you have to pay for. The box on demand has a free movies section, why not here?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In order to use your iPad as a remote , you must have certain line of the Motorola DVR the scientific Atlanta DVR(s) are not compatable. As I expected comcast app is just ok and nothing special. Comcast has not set up a support line to answer your xfinity questions as I was redirected 5 times and no one had an answer. Goggle was my friend.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackbelt said:
In order to use your iPad as a remote , you must have certain line of the Motorola DVR the scientific Atlanta DVR(s) are not compatable. As I expected comcast app is just ok and nothing special. Comcast has not set up a support line to answer your xfinity questions as I was redirected 5 times and no one had an answer. Goggle was my friend.

For real. Comcast definitely doesn't have the best customer service in the world. But Google does!

Most reactions

Latest posts