What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

College note app?

jessalee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So i am starting college this year and I have decided to use my iPad as my computer, planner, notebook, etc.
But when it comes to the notebook part I am a little unsure. I currently have the app called UPAD and I must admit I LOVE it however I do not know how it would handle the amount of notes, pages, and notebooks that will be filled with text, handwriting, highlighted segments, pictures, so on, that I will have to write/make in college. Does anyone know if it will be able to handle a lot of notes without getting all bogged down or crash a lot or anything like that? I don't want to start taking all my notes in one app and then have it not worm out and have to switch in the middle of everything. Or, does someone know an app that is just like UPAD (since I love everything about it) that can handle all the different things I will have to do?

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used UPAD for all of last semester and it worked fine. I've never had a problem with being bogged down or crashing or anything. The best part is, if you're not going to use a notebook for awhile, you can export it to your laptop or whatever and delete it from your iPad - that way, you still have it but it's not taking up space.

My instructors post PowerPoints for notes. Most of the students print them out and write notes on the same page. I save them as PDF files, put them in UPAD, and write my notes directly on them. I had quite a few saved on my iPad last semester - maybe 40 or so - each with at least 20 pages or more.

Hope this helps! I love UPAD too.

OP
jessalee

jessalee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes thank you so much this helps a lot because I was hoping to do the same exact thing with PowerPoints. It is so easy and simple. Thanks again!

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jessalee said:
Yes thank you so much this helps a lot because I was hoping to do the same exact thing with PowerPoints. It is so easy and simple. Thanks again!

You're welcome! If you JB your iPad, it's a bit easier. It's not as difficult as it sounds and it's very worth it!

For example; I installed Safari Download Manager, iFile & Office to PDF. I can now download the ppts from the website using Safari Download Manager, convert them to PDF using Office to PDF, and open them in UPAD with iFile.

Comes in handy for when you forget to transfer the ppts to the iPad or your instructor adds new ones and you don't have time to transfer them.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - 64gig iPad2 White WiFi

OP
jessalee

jessalee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I looked at the office to PDF and it says it does word excel or PowerPoint but lets say I go to my teachers website I open the PowerPoint they posted in keynote, cause it gives me that option. Can I then open the PowerPoint from keynote in office to PDF? Like will pages numbers and keynote work too?

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if you have UPAD, you can open up and edit PDFs on it? That's really nice to know... I will have to look into this app, seeing as I'm starting another semester here soon.

kingnba6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i use docs to go for all my pdf and word files, i really like the fact that you can sync it to your computer, dropbox, google. a lot of good stuff. but its a bit pricey, but i like the way it functions, but for notes i dont really use my ipad for notes but i have used the program and its ok.

OP
jessalee

jessalee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah personally after spending countless hours looking at note taking apps of all varieties I have decided that hands down UPAD is the best. It does everything and anything. Plus the developers are great they will immediately handle any issues that came up, the app started being glitchy one time and I emailed them and within twenty four hours I had a response and an update fixing everything. I also tacked on some suggestions at the end of the email that came out in the next update. Great app with great service, can't argues with that.

But then I already have the iworks set, it's great I love it. Other than the fact it's not as compatible with other apps I.e. Dropbox, but it's ok, still love it. I just wanna know if office to PDF works with it.

Last edited:

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jessalee said:
So I looked at the office to PDF and it says it does word excel or PowerPoint but lets say I go to my teachers website I open the PowerPoint they posted in keynote, cause it gives me that option. Can I then open the PowerPoint from keynote in office to PDF? Like will pages numbers and keynote work too?

I'm not sure about that - never tried it. I just download with safari download manager and convert it to PDF for UPAD.

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoPackGo said:
So if you have UPAD, you can open up and edit PDFs on it? That's really nice to know... I will have to look into this app, seeing as I'm starting another semester here soon.

You can write on them using a stylus and type on them. You can't delete something already on there or change it in any functional way. It's a notetaking app - so it's meant for taking notes not editing documents. You cam hilight, draw, write, type in them.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
china_cat84 said:
You can write on them using a stylus and type on them. You can't delete something already on there or change it in any functional way. It's a notetaking app - so it's meant for taking notes not editing documents. You cam hilight, draw, write, type in them.

That's really cool. If my professors use a lot of PPTs, I just might buy this app!

OP
jessalee

jessalee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
china_cat84 said:
I'm not sure about that - never tried it. I just download with safari download manager and convert it to PDF for UPAD.

How do I get safari download manager?

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jessalee said:
How do I get safari download manager?

First, you have to jailbreak. Then, you just purchase it from Cydia.

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoPackGo said:
That's really cool. If my professors use a lot of PPTs, I just might buy this app!

Go for it! I LOVE upad. It has a really nice handwriting engine - when you handwrite, upad automatically smooths it out for you and makes it look legible. I tried several of the free/trial versions of note taking apps and my handwriting is so much better with upad.

Most reactions

Latest posts