What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coding on the iPad

Steep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Should Apple build a High Level Coding App into IOS-8 ?
Apple are renowned for playing hard to get. They want Apps developing for IOS-8, a declared intention of SWIFT their new programming language but to employ it iPad owners have to buy a Mac.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Should Apple build a High Level Coding App into IOS-8 ?
Apple are renowned for playing hard to get. They want Apps developing for IOS-8, a declared intention of SWIFT their new programming language but to employ it iPad owners have to buy a Mac.
I don't think we'll see the ability to run Xcode and Swift on the iPad. Both are necessary to develop iOS apps and only run on a Mac. As useful as the iPad is, it hasn't got the computing power, graphics processing, and RAM to run those programs even if you could run regular computer programs on the iPad. The latest Mac isn't necessary for developing iOS apps but it does have to be able to run the latest versions of OSX, Xcode, and Swift. The least expensive Mac is the Mac Mini, usable with an external screen and keyboard.

OP
S

Steep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think we'll see the ability to run Xcode and Swift on the iPad. Both are necessary to develop iOS apps and only run on a Mac. As useful as the iPad is, it hasn't got the computing power, graphics processing, and RAM to run those programs even if you could run regular computer programs on the iPad. The latest Mac isn't necessary for developing iOS apps but it does have to be able to run the latest versions of OSX, Xcode, and Swift. The least expensive Mac is the Mac Mini, usable with an external screen and keyboard.

It doesn't have to be Apple's flag ship language. Python 3.4 is up and running. Surely Apple could collaborate in creating an App to run that on an iPad. Having got as far as 'Python for IOS' with Python.org.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be Apple's flag ship language. Python 3.4 is up and running. Surely Apple could collaborate in creating an App to run that on an iPad. Having got as far as 'Python for IOS' with Python.org.
But apps have to be written with Xcode on a Mac.

OP
S

Steep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But apps have to be written with Xcode on a Mac.

Then are all those people trying to apply a coding language to the iPad (eg. Pyronista) wasting their time ?
Many apps are written outside IOS with Apple approval.
What is needed is Apple 'stamp' and cooperation in this aspect of Ipad evolution.
I believe that the format of this forum is dictated to by Apple.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Then are all those people trying to apply a coding language to the iPad (eg. Pyronista) wasting their time ?
Many apps are written outside IOS with Apple approval.
What is needed is Apple 'stamp' and cooperation in this aspect of Ipad evolution.
I believe that the format of this forum is dictated to by Apple.
While the various coding apps available for the iPad will let you write code, the code will not run on the iPad but must be uploaded to a remote server, processed, and the results sent back to the iPad. The only programs that will run on an iPad are the apps available in the App Store. Apple will not approve any iOS apps that were not written on a Mac, using the Xcode SDK.

You should study the iOS app development requirements here: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/referencelibrary/GettingStarted/RoadMapiOS/

BTW this forum has no connection at all with Apple. Apple has no say in how this forum is set up and in what is discussed here.

Last edited:
OP
S

Steep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Come on you are playing with words, the site would not exist if Apple took exception to it.
Please give me your opinion to the original question.
Should Apple build a High Level Coding Language into IOS-8 ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Come on you are playing with words, the site would not exist if Apple took exception to it.
Please give me your opinion to the original question.
Should Apple build a High Level Coding Language into IOS-8 ?
You can believe what you want but the fact is that Apple has no involvement whatsoever with this site. This forum is privately owned and exists for the purpose of engaging in discussions on all aspects of the iPad, from the introduction of the first iPad in 2010 until the present.

I believe I already answered your question in my response to your first post. Apple won't build a high level coding language into iOS for the reasons I gave in my earlier post.

OP
S

Steep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have not expressed an opinion.
The question is should, not can or will.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You have not expressed an opinion.
The question is should, not can or will.
I did express an opinion in my previous posts, stating why I tought we'd never see a high level coding app on the iPad. As to your question of should they, no they shouldn't. They already have a powerful coding program for the Mac in Xcode SDK. The iPad runs it's programs in the form of sandboxed apps which don't interact with each other beyond very limited exceptions. An Apple high level coding language would have to be in the form of an app to run on the iPad and anything you created within that app would only work within that app. While such a coding app would give you a feel for how to code various functions, you would still have write the coding for an app you want to submit to Apple for approval on a Mac, using the Xcode SDK.

OP
S

Steep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did express an opinion in my previous posts, stating why I tought we'd never see a high level coding app on the iPad. As to your question of should they, no they shouldn't. They already have a powerful coding program for the Mac in Xcode SDK. The iPad runs it's programs in the form of sandboxed apps which don't interact with each other beyond very limited exceptions. An Apple high level coding language would have to be in the form of an app to run on the iPad and anything you created within that app would only work within that app. While such a coding app would give you a feel for how to code various functions, you would still have write the coding for an app you want to submit to Apple for approval on a Mac, using the Xcode SDK.

You keep throwing the book at me. The latest iPad gives us a thinner lighter device with improved performance. A new iPad may well be delivered by Apple early next year. A bigger screen ? Could be another chip who knows what ? The iPad may well outgrow IOS. I just hope that Apple open up a bit. Let's leave it there.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple has no intention of allowing apps to be developed on an iPad and uploaded to the App Store any time soon. It may be in their road map, but it's not in any near term plan they have shared with their developer partners.

I have no issues with that.

OP
S

Steep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guys certainly quote the gospel according to Steve Jobs ☺️
You now play on the word 'develop'. I understand that you need to pass Apple criteria if you want your 'App' to go into Apple's App Store. Just as I have to get clearance to post here.
What I choose to try and do with my iPad truly has nothing to do with Apple. I can access my PC via my iPad and play 'Apps' that I have 'created' as a computer hobbiest on another platform. However I would
like to do it with the help from Apple rather than in spite of them.
Way back when I could not understand why anyone wanted to struggle with machine code when technical developments in hardware would go hand in hand with software developments to meet basic requirements. I honestly believe that the hand held computer will outgrow IOS and even OS-X. Satisfying the hobbiest and curious has to be part of that 'development'
Apple have it all in on basket.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can complain about the infrastructure all you want, guys like you are not the target market for the iPad. Seriously. Work around whatever you want, it's not ever going to be a development environment for app development.

No play on words for me, just straight talk.

Go buy a windows tablet and write apps in pearl....be happy.

OP
S

Steep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Come on - I love my iPad and have nothing but respect for Apple.
If I went in any other direction, I would buy a Rasberry Pi running Risc OS and use my iPad as a monitor/keypad because I do enjoy computing laid back in my arm chair. Just a bit lazy in my old age.
You see I have seen the Arm chip grow out of an Acorn. ☺️
I compute for fun and the iPad is a fun device. Just want to see it do more to help late 'developers'
PS - went through the Apple v Windows dual back in 83 when I took early retirement, through that lot I cut my teeth on the old Beeb.

Most reactions

Latest posts