What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cloud no good for photos?

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I apologize for the vagueness of this question, but I can't find the site that originally got this from. I was reading online about backing up photos to iCloud, and at one point I read that photos saved to the cloud are only there for 30 days then they "just disappear". This can't possibly be true, can it? Maybe I'm confused about how one uses Cloud storage?

OP
M

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mods, please remove this thread. I feel idiotic with it just hanging out here with no activity. Thank you.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Aww, don't feel idiotic. Sometimes threads just don't catch folks attention. It was however, a reasonable enough question, and I certainly missed it first and second time :)

I think what you have done is confused photos in iCloud with the "new" Photostream feature of IOS 5.

Photostream automatically moves photos up to iCloud when you create them, say using your iPad3 camera, and then downloads them to your other iDevices, like an iPhone, iPod Touch, as well as now supporting other Apple desktop devices running OSX, and things like the AppleTV. The photostream works on a rolling period of 30 days or 1000 photos. So it's an easy way of sharing the photo content you create between devices. It is not the same however as just storing all your photos in iCloud. You can't do that quite yet. You still need to manage your primary photo library from iTunes on the PC.

More info here - http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/photo-stream.html

Hope that makes you feel better ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts