What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning screen question

Kevin43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi
I bought the new iPad Can anyone please tell me if this is okay to use to clean the screen on my new iPad.read right copier glass cleaning and read right Kleen and dry CRT screen cleaning pad wet pad. This is my first iPad so sorry about this I get a lot of prints on the screen and I wanted to the right thing. Thank you for any help on this

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have experience with screen cleaners, but you should avoid any cleaner that contains alcohol. The iPad's screen has an oleophobic coating, which means it lacks the affinity for oil (which minimizes smudges and fingerprints and make it easier to wipe em off). Alcohol from cleansers, including Windex, will strip off this coating. If you HAVE to use a cleaner, make sure it's OHP safe.

You're actually better off not using a cleaner. Simply wiping the screen down with a clean, lint-free microfiber cloth every so often should eliminate fingerprints and smudges. That's what I do anyway, and the screen looks as brand new as when I bought my iPad.

imnparadise

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use a pair of clean white mens cotton underware. It works wonders for smudges, etc, just blow your breath are troublesome spots and wipe.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
imnparadise said:
Use a pair of clean white mens cotton underware. It works wonders for smudges, etc, just blow your breath are troublesome spots and wipe.

.......certainly a unique method

imnparadise

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it is unique although any material like cotton underware will work.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm imagining using an iPad in public and whipping out a pair of underwear to clean the screen. ROFL.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I feel it is bad advise to tell people to use a slightly damp cloth. What does slightly damp mean and what happens when the wet gets in the wrong place? Not worth it. A microfiber cloth seems to work well unless you have sand or something similar on the screen.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel it is bad advise to tell people to use a slightly damp cloth. What does slightly damp mean and what happens when the wet gets in the wrong place? Not worth it. A microfiber cloth seems to work well unless you have sand or something similar on the screen.

I figure if people can't figure out what "slightly damp" means when it comes to electronics, they've got bigger probs than cleaning an iPad screen. But if I were in doubt, I would use no liquid at all. To me, that would be common sense. But again, if people can't figure that out, they've got bigger probs.

By the way, I've use a slightly damp eyeglass cloth for two years on all three iPads that I've owned (one gifted away), and my husband's. No prob. Just a bit of water. That's what I've done with electronics screens for decades.

Last edited:

Most reactions