What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing the 16GB or 32GB

joshmcd248

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm attending college and am planning on getting an ipad to do my school work on and I'm having trouble deciding weather I should get the 16GB or the 32GB? I do a decent amount of music and app downloading. I will also store notes and other school stuff on it. So what would you guys suggest I get?
Thanks in advance!

mrjayviper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
really up to you. how much music/video are you going to put. I will personally get the biggest available just so I won't be disappointed when I do need the space. I can normally use 60GB+ swapping videos into the iPad. But on the 4s, I think I could've live with 32GB there but I still got the 64GB.

As I said, really up to you. Check how much stuff are you willing to put plus extra space in case you need it.

do you want investment advice as well? I can do that :p

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like others said, if you plan on doing any actual work or storing music it would be advisable to get the largest capacity you can afford. I make do with a 16GB as my iPad is purely a consumption device, all my data and music is stored on my iPhone.

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Minimum 32.

On my Iphone 4s I have 64 GB. I have spotify and "a few" songs.
- they already claims 9.8 GB ;-)

I dont use itunes much, only to keep a complete Beatles - which is approx 2 GB.

Thus I bought Ipad 3 with 32 GB - since this will hold the same music, but not the large offline wikipedia and tom tom nav.

javelina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definitely 64G. Some educational apps like "The Elements" are well over a 1g in size. I think many of the Apple iBook textbooks are also close to 1G as well.

Through in a decent music collection, a few graphic intensive games, and a few movies and TV shows, and 32G get to be pretty cramped.

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have a phone with SD card support you can use it as a mobile storage for your iPad. 64 GB models are too much overpriced imho.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another vote for 64 GB. I have had the iPad, iPad2 and now the New iPad, all 64 GB and I used every GB with them. I also use a wifi external 500 GB GoFlex Satellite drive to supplement the 64 GB for photos.

OP
J

joshmcd248

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 64Gb price is a little to steep for me so I'll probably get the 32. I already have an external hard drive so could I put stuff that I don't necessarily need all the time on that? Thanks for all the good input!

Walt Cullop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
External drives can access photos and videos only. You can't store apps and I don't believe music either.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm attending college and am planning on getting an ipad to do my school work on and I'm having trouble deciding weather I should get the 16GB or the 32GB? I do a decent amount of music and app downloading. I will also store notes and other school stuff on it. So what would you guys suggest I get?
Thanks in advance!
16GB really isn't enough, especially since you do a decent amount of music and app downloading. Music and apps can accumulate quickly and take up a lot of storage. Since the iPad doesn't have expandable storage, go for at least 32GB. I'd actually recommend 64GB iPad. I got 64GB and am very glad I did so.

Hinds90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes get the 32gb or the 64gb if you can. Lol I got a 16gb 6 days ago and i'm already hurting for storage space.

Most reactions