What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging Your iPad For a Whole Year Costs Just $1.36!

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
new_iPad.JPG

The AP reports today that it turns out that the iPad is a particularly “green†device when it comes to energy consumption. As the AP notes, if you’re drinking a coffee while looking at your iPad, the coffee will actually have cost more to buy than the electricity that has powered your iPad so that you can play games, watch videos, read news, and so on, for a whole year. This cost figure comes from the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI), which says that it costs just $1.36 to charge an iPad for one year. That’s in comparison to a 60-watt compact fluorescent bulb, which costs $1.61 to charge for a year, a desktop PC, which costs $28.21, and a fridge, which costs $65.72. The EPRI, a non-profit research and development group which takes its funding from electric utilities, according to the AP, says that it investigated the iPad’s power consumption in a bid to find out what sort of effect tablets and similar devices might be having on electricity use.

The AP points out that if more people are using iPads instead of desktop computers, this could lead to lower overall power consumption.

Source: It costs just $1.36 to charge an iPad for a year - Yahoo! Finance

Sonia ferdous

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmmmm...... Its really great to know. I didn't know this info but quite surprising that only $1.36 to charge an iPad for one year.

Reaction score
I assume that is what it would cost IF you unplug the charger from the wall each time you finish charging. How many of us do that?

Lucky_Charms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HKey_Current_User said:
I assume that is what it would cost IF you unplug the charger from the wall each time you finish charging. How many of us do that?

That leads to a question that I've had for a while now about the charger. Is the apple charger a smart charger where it stops sucking juice after the device is fully charged or does it just keep on charging?

Little One

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lucky_Charms said:
That leads to a question that I've had for a while now about the charger. Is the apple charger a smart charger where it stops sucking juice after the device is fully charged or does it just keep on charging?

Isn't there the trickle charge thing? Or it may also stop charging after the trickle charge thing. The answer I don't know though. :p

Most reactions