What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging the ipad in the car

foothillfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can the cigarette plug charger cord for the iPod be used to charge the iPad while in transit?

IvanLasston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most iPod accessories will charge the iPad - but very slowly. If you connect it and the charging symbol comes on then it will charge it. If it says - not charging - you have to turn off the screen for the accessory to charge the iPad. Again both are very slow. Consider getting something like this
Amazon.com: PowerGen Dual USB 2A 10w (fast) Heavy Duty Ouput Car Charger - White: Cell Phones & Accessories

I bought this one for $3 - have one in every car. Charges iPads and iPhones/iPods - at the same time.
Amazon.com: High Output Dual USB Port Car Charger for Ipad, Samsung Galaxy, Iphone, Blackberry, Droid, Gps, and Other Tablets, Smart Phones and High Powered Devices: Computers & Accessories

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Belkin that I use for my iPod (and for my temporary iPad - returned a 16 for a 32 and waiting). Works just fine. I automatically plug one in when going someplace whether I am using it or not.

lasllcap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want the pad to charge normally, do not get a cig plug charger thats for iPhone AND iPad; that will be very slow charging. iPad needs a10 watt charger to charge at its normal rate. Belkin and Kingston both make a dual plug one slot for phone and one slot for pad; normal charge for each. Read the specs before you buy.

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davidinvirginia said:
I have a Belkin that I use for my iPod (and for my temporary iPad - returned a 16 for a 32 and waiting). Works just fine. I automatically plug one in when going someplace whether I am using it or not.

Got new iPad and Belkin works well. Keep iPad connected to MacBook most of the time at home. Battery life seems goog so far.

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lasllcap said:
If you want the pad to charge normally, do not get a cig plug charger thats for iPhone AND iPad; that will be very slow charging. iPad needs a10 watt charger to charge at its normal rate. Belkin and Kingston both make a dual plug one slot for phone and one slot for pad; normal charge for each. Read the specs before you buy.

I'll check on that. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts