What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging question

Shar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there, I bought my first iPad,the 16 gb 2nd gen, and I love it ( also have a 4th gen touch). I have read many, many threads and still have a couple questions... bought a smart cover,which I like, but also bought a leather case,which I feel offers more protection...i am getting differing opinions everywhere i read about whether it is safe to charge in the case? really interested in whether this is ok... If have also read a lot of different stuff on the best thing to keep your battery at its best, and it also confuses me! I know i should do a full charge/discharge every month, but should I run it low before i charge, or only partially down...I look forward to anything anyone can tell me, I truly appreciate it...I can't tell you how much I love my iPad,it is awesome! :)

Reaction score
You can charge the iPad, while it is in the cover. The heat produced is not enough to cause any problems.

Regarding preservation of the battery, use partial discharges, if possible, I.e. run it down to 50%, then charge again to 95%.

However, what is not advisable is to run the battery down completely on a regular basis, though once a month is fine for keeping the battery indicator accurate.

But imo, the iPad should be used, if the optimum charging goes against your usage, then just use the device, that is what it was bought for. Besides, the battery preservation will be minimal either way.

sebek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can charge the iPad, while it is in the cover. The heat produced is not enough to cause any problems.

Regarding preservation of the battery, use partial discharges, if possible, I.e. run it down to 50%, then charge again to 95%.

However, what is not advisable is to run the battery down completely on a regular basis, though once a month is fine for keeping the battery indicator accurate.

But imo, the iPad should be used, if the optimum charging goes against your usage, then just use the device, that is what it was bought for. Besides, the battery preservation will be minimal either way.

Extremely useful info! Thanks!

OP
S

Shar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply, i really appreciate it! and great info :)

Loraco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I charge mine every nite or when I'm not using it!

Laban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just another related question: Should the iPad 2 initial charge be in any certain way? Should I charge it for maybe 10 hours the first charge or just until it shows that it's fully charged?

Laban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Laban said:
Just another related question: Should the iPad 2 initial charge be in any certain way? Should I charge it for maybe 10 hours the first charge or just until it shows that it's fully charged?

That is nothing to worry about. There is a reason, the iPad gets delivered charged.

Aha, alright! Cool. Thank you!

Most reactions

Latest posts