What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging next to a magnet...

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is my current charging set up it's hard to see from the picture but that's a speaker on the far left.
I remember when I was a kid and computers were new it was always a bad idea to put discs next to magnets.
Is it okay to charge my iPad and iPhone next to a speaker? What do you guys think?

41b2a1cd.jpg

L

Lunar

It wouldn't concern me much at all... years ago when there were more magnetic recording media, then yes it was of some concern, also having CRT TV displays ect. close to speakers wastn't a good idea. Looking at your pic, I doubt that would cause any harm at all, I noticed my son has a habit of putting his iPhone on top of his hifi speakers occasionally too, and AFAIK he's had no issues.

Funny enough though, my son once mentioned, that after buying a leather case for his previous iPad which had storage pockets for store/bank cards, he started getting the odd card problems, and had to get a couple of them replaced, and it turned out to be the effect the iPad was having on them over a period of time, so there must be a slight magnetic field emitted even from a iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Starting with the iPad 2, magnets are in the iPad for the smart cover. Credit cards and other similar cards use a magnetic strip that could be effected by prolong influence from magnets.

L

Lunar

Starting with the iPad 2, magnets are in the iPad for the smart cover. Credit cards and other similar cards use a magnetic strip that could be effected by prolong influence from magnets.

That actually happened with his iPad 1 before he bought his ipad3, but I'm fairly certain the case he was using did have two small magnets, one in each corner to hold the front cover closed...so very likely that was AYS indeed the cause.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions