What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging iPad...

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ahoward1126 said:
Is bad for your iPad to charge it every night?

No, I charge mine every night and let it run down, once a week, to let battery percentage remain correct.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
ahoward1126 said:

thing is, some ppl say draining it damages it, some say not draining it causes memory effect

as for me, I keep everything topped up, not had any issues yet, those that do have issues are old and need replacing anyway :) not to mention a good excuse to upgrade :D

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wytey said:
thing is, some ppl say draining it damages it, some say not draining it causes memory effect

as for me, I keep everything topped up, not had any issues yet, those that do have issues are old and need replacing anyway :) not to mention a good excuse to upgrade :D

I used to do what you do but one of the techies on here said that I should let it drain, confused but I'll probably swing both ways depending on whether the minutes between draining and starting up again are taking too long. Ha ha,

Reaction score
It is better to regularly charge the iPad then to let it run down. Charging twice from 50% is less harmful than running it down to 0% and than charging it full.

The other thing is, that ideally the battery would only be charged to 95%, rather then 100%, as the last 5% of charging does cause an abnormally high strain on the battery.

Anyhow, it is still save to charge the iPad whenever you want, but if you were trying to maximize the battery life time, than the two things mentioned above are worthwhile considering. They are from that link Tim usually posts in Battery topics :)

Personally, I think that charging methods have too little effect in the battery lifetime to worry about it.

Last edited:

elbe2009

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ahoward1126 said:

how old is old? i've only had my iPad about 6 months. can i change the battery myself? thanks!

Mimshacktee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well since 4.3.1 my battery drain has been rapid so I keep it on power whenever I can and use the battery whenever I'm mobile. Is this bad?

Veritas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think apple says to drain completely once a month and recharge from there. That's the route I'm going.

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whatever else is true, Li batteries have no memory issues.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think you can drain it to zero. Mine pops up with low battery warnings at around five percent and shuts itself down at one-two percent.

Reaction score
The iPad battery can be drained completely. It does give a warning at 10% and again at 5%. But it will only shutdown at 0%. It never says 0%, but the iPad does last around 5min with only 1% left, before it shuts down.

Of course this is just cosmetical, as a battery with 0% is not completely empty, it just means that the OS is calibrated to interpret that specific voltage as 0%.

Most reactions