What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charge ipad while OFF?

erpetao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everytime I plug the ipad to charge it switches on automatically, is there any way to charge it while it's off? (So it will charge faster).

Maybe i'm missing something...

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heh it always does that when you plug the cable in. Ignore it and it goes back to sleep. Tiptoe quietly away.......

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, plugging it in wakes it up.... but
It should turn off after a few minutes.

Or you should be able to press the Sleep/Wake button and turn it off

OP
E

erpetao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't want it sleeping, I want it completely off, so next the morning I need to hold power button and it will boot with apple logo etc.

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is just Called a sleep/wake button.

That is as "off" as the iPad gets.

OP
E

erpetao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, holding the off button for 4 seconds switches it off completely. That's diffeerent from sleeping (no energy being used at all).

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Never bothered with that.

The standard top right button is all I use as the power consumption when sleeping is negligible.

OP
E

erpetao

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The standard top right button is all I use as the power consumption when sleeping is negligible.

Is it? If you leave the ipad unplugged at 100% battery at night, what percentage do you have in the morning?

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will still get 100%. I always do that. My iPad's battery last for 11-12 hours. With wifi on. Amazing isn't it.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Is it? If you leave the ipad unplugged at 100% battery at night, what percentage do you have in the morning?

I've never checked it since I'm almost never at 109% at night. If you are at 100% at night why don't you just turn it completely off one night and reboot in AM and see what percentage you are at. I leave mine on sleep at night (I am never at 100% at night unless I've had it plugged in while I used it---sometimes I do that if I'm close enough to the charger) and if I want to reboot I just do it manually. Works fine for me. I don't feel the need to reboot more than once a week but I guess there's no reason you can't do it each morning.

OP
E

erpetao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I always thought that it would be better for battery life and for ipad life to switch it off completely when not in use for long periods of time (like the whole night).

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
with 11-12 hrs of battery time on a 100% charge, im not catching what the concern is. Shutting it completely down vs. sleep mode might save you about .250 % at the most.. which means you'll probably loose about 4 minutes of use between charge cycle. Hell, i loose track of an hour in this time span much less 4 minutes... but i'm handicapped,, i'm old fart, i lost track of time ions ago :p

Tedology

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A related question:

Should I wait until the iPad is very low on battery juice (eg. 7%) before charging it? Is there "battery memory" problems? ie. is there concern that if I keep charging it, it will shorten the life of the battery? Or are those things of the past? :)

(Sorry for the threadjack)

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those are things of the past. Here is my question, I just got my Pad. When plugged into my computer it says "Not Charging" Does this thing not charge while on the computer?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you want Apple's recommendations on how to preserve battery life, go to the Ipad guide in your Safari bookmarks. You can link from there to the battery recommendations. I believe I scrolled down to the battery parts on the first page and found the links there. I was curious about some saying that you needed to remove the Ipad from its case to charge because of heating. The Apple battery page on Ipad says "certain cases" and one would think that Apple would recommend that to those that bought the Apple case since so many have and all of us have to charge. If I would have to wrangle the Ipad out of the case each time I hooked to the charger I wouldn't use the case long---and I consider it almost a must have for the Ipad. Makes it quite nice to type on screen, nice to carry, nice to hood when reading.

I believe I read that it does NOT charge while connected to computer, but check the Safari Ipad guide

Most reactions

Latest posts