What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change Display Name in OutGoing Email

naman919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey,

I searched and couldn't even google how to do this.

I like to have the outgoing name on all my email devices show up the same.

I have two Gmail accounts setup on the ipad via exchange method. How can i edit the display name that shows up when i send emails to people. I use my middle name on my android phone and the ipad only displays my first and last.

I"m sure it's a simple fix. Can anyone help me? TIA.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can try this.

Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendar >> Select the Account ([email protected]) >> Account >> Mail: Then change your name in the Name field. That is for a MobileMe account. You may run into the Name field sooner in other account types, and I can't find the name field in the Exchange type account at all.

Last edited:
OP
naman919

naman919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the response but no luck.

anyone else have ideas? I can't be the first one that has this question/issue. I would really like to edit my outgoing display name so there isn't a difference between my email responses from my phone and the iPad.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your display name..

I'm pretty sure it's controled by your email service provider.. you'll need to go into THEIR settings and change the display name

For exmaple, when you setup a new Gmail account, it asks for some basic information. you put in your name, and others who recive your email will see wahtever name you put in there.

The computer, iPhone, blackberry, ect are only 3rd party devices to receive/distribute email. They do not fully control privacy/service/spam, ect.

OP
naman919

naman919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no that's not entirely true, ex. the fact I'm emailing from my iPad with the same gmail account I email with on my phone. they have different display names.

my full name is displayed when sending via my phone or the gmail site and would like to be able to include it from the ipad as well. the iPad is only using my first and last name. no idea why.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One last though. Have you tried changing you name in the Contacts app.

Find your own entry in Contacts and chose Edit. Scroll all the way to the bottom and add new field. Choose Middle and enter you middle name.

If that doesn't work, I give up.

Last edited:
OP
naman919

naman919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One last though. Have you tried changing you name in the Contacts app.

Find your own entry in Contacts and chose Edit. Scroll all the way to the bottom and add new field. Choose Middle and enter you middle name.

If that doesn't work, I give up.

**edited** I just tried the above and my middle name is already there. I have no idea how to fix this but it annoys the crap out of me. I hate that when i look at threads that it is obvious when i'm sending from another device. I really want to keep the display name the same so people won't constantly think i'm switching devices, when i am.

**edit 2** I even logged into my mobileme account and added my middle name. Still no luck.

here's a picture of my test to show you what i mean:

rlls7d.jpg

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't have an iPhone so I don't really have any way of experimenting, and since I'm out of ideas, browsing though both devices and experimenting is the only thing I can think of.

Of course, you could reverse the solution. See if you can change it on GMail and the iPhone instead of the iPad. Besides, showing your middle name make you look like you're applying for a government job or something. :D

OP
naman919

naman919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no iphone here either. it's an android phone. screenshot was from the ipad.

anyway, the reason i use my middle name is bc i have a traditionally female first name as a guy and a bland last name.

when emailing new people it's more upfront when i include my middle name. They suspect a guy after that.

But i DID think to reverse the situation and just edit it the other way around, but i would really prefer to keep my middle name visible. jmho.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I did a little more playing around. I had my GMail account set up as an Exchange account, but I switched it back to a standard GMail account, just so I could play.

Under Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendar >> GMail (account) >> Account >> Name. Whatever I set this name to is what shows up as the from name in my emails when they are received.

I set up GMail as an Exchange account so that I could do contacts and multiple calendars. The normal account only allows the primary calendar and email. I'm getting around this now by turning off Mail syncing in the Exchange account and turing off everything but Mail in the GMail account settings. Another words I'm using two account entries for Google. Seems to work, as long as I'm careful not to cause conflicts.

This was necessary because the Exchange settings did not let me enter a user name. Instead it displayed my gmail address as the user name. I could not find a way around this.

So, Maybe this helps, and probably not.

OP
naman919

naman919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a little more playing around. I had my GMail account set up as an Exchange account, but I switched it back to a standard GMail account, just so I could play.

Under Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendar >> GMail (account) >> Account >> Name. Whatever I set this name to is what shows up as the from name in my emails when they are received.

I set up GMail as an Exchange account so that I could do contacts and multiple calendars. The normal account only allows the primary calendar and email. I'm getting around this now by turning off Mail syncing in the Exchange account and turing off everything but Mail in the GMail account settings. Another words I'm using two account entries for Google. Seems to work, as long as I'm careful not to cause conflicts.

This was necessary because the Exchange settings did not let me enter a user name. Instead it displayed my gmail address as the user name. I could not find a way around this.

So, Maybe this helps, and probably not.

My Gmail was/is setup as exchange for the calendars as well.

I added a secondary gmail account and edited the name. you are correct in that the method works. it's a weird workaround but is somewhat of a solution.

I'm gonna pass on that idea for now b/c the gmail account, not setup as exchange, doesn't have push notifications.

Sooooo close to the solution. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
OP
naman919

naman919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hate to beat a dead horse, but can anyone find where/how exchange email accounts are pulling the outgoing display name? It is a default somewhere.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Never mind. The results are inconsistent. This works sometimes, and sometimes not. Apparently the name gets stuck in memory, but further fiddling with accounts or other random email acts can make it revert without warning. I'll leave the the original post in place as a kind of history of what doesn't really work.

After a great deal more experimenting, I came up with this almost satisfactory work around.

Remember how the GMail account would let you change the name? Well, apparently as long as the GMail account is set up and the mail is turned on, it will override the name in the Exchange Google account. Or, at least it does in mine.

This is what I did. I set up the Gmail account with the name I wanted. Turned off everything except the Mail. Went into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars >> Fetch New Data >> Advanced, and changed the GMail account to manual.

Now, as long as I don't open the GMail inbox, or GMail account it never fetches the mail. This prevents duplicates. After half a dozen experimental emails the All Inbox did not force a manual check on the GMail account.

Of course if you do select the GMail Inbox or account, you're going to end up with some duplicates. When I did this I got one listing for the email in the All Inbox with a number beside it. When I tapped on it I got both emails listed. This is why I said it was an almost satisfactory work around. You can make more work for yourself if you get careless. If you don't normally stray outside the All Inbox or the Google Exchange account, you should be relatively safe doing things this way.

As a further experiment I went to the Default Account setting under Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars and tried sending from the All Inbox with both the GMail account and the Exchange account. As far as I know this setting only affects the sent mail address if you are in the All Inbox.

Both methods worked, however the email seemed to go out faster using the GMail account to send. This did not affect where or how the email appeared when it was received, just how long it took. I'd say the GMail was a few seconds at most. The Exchange account took at least two minutes.

Correction: Just noticed that using the Google Exchange account as default did not send the email with the name. Have no idea why, since when I'm in the Google Exchange inbox it worked just fine.

Last Notes: My Google Exchange account does not show a name at all. It shows my google email address in the list. I can only get a name using the workaround just described. To me that means that there is still something different in how we have things set up. No idea what. I use a "[email protected]" address. Other people with older GMail accounts have "[email protected]". Maybe you do? This may work differently for all I know.

I discovered this anomaly while trying to set up my GMail using the Other Account settings. I started to write this email based on that, but decided to experiment with the GMail account first, because it's a lot easier to set up. I saw no difference in behavior.

Last edited:

JuniorClinician

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I figured out how to fix this - the real solution

The problem isn't with iOS at all, it's a problem Gmail (a question of implementation rather than a true problem). Specifically, where Gmail collects the information that's used as the display name for Exchange.

Let me explain:

Ideally, a user's Exchange display name in Gmail would mirror the "Send mail as" field that's located in Gmail's account settings just as it does with IMAP. However, this is not the case. That's because the display name used by Gmail with Exchange on iOS is populated from a completely different settings data in Google's services. Instead of using the name that's located in the "Send mail as" field in Gmail's settings, Exchange uses the name data that's stored in the user's personal info profile on the "Google Accounts" page.

Here's the fix:

Access the "Google Accounts" page by logging into Gmail.com, then clicking your email address that's located near the top right corner. A drop down menu will appear, then select "Account Settings" and the Google Accounts page will load.

On the Google Accounts page, click the link "edit your personal info without creating a public profile", then the personal info page will load.

You should see the First and Last name fields. The data contained in these two fields are what Exchange uses to populate users' display name when used with Gmail on iOS. After editing and saving the two fields, an immediate update on the Gmail Exchange server will occur; thus, fixing the incongruent name issue when sending email using your iOS device setup to use Gmail with Exchange.

Conclusion:

Note this: Gmail accounts using IMAP on iOS or IMAP on any platform may reflect whatever the user has stored in the "Send mail as" field in his or her Gmail settings. In contrast, Gmail with Exchange doesn't obtain its data from here. Instead, the data it uses is from the information located within the Google Accounts settings page. This explains why some users are able to get the desired display name by enabling their IMAP Gmail and using it to send mail instead of using exchange.

I hope this helps!! Let me know!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts