What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change Apple ID on one item?

Flybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a MAC and a new IPAD. We had promised our grandson that if he got all A's and B'on his report card, we would buy him an IPOD.
Well he managed that goal and we have ordered the IPOD.
Now my question: I would like him to have his own Apple ID. Can I make that change on the IPOD only and not screw up my own Apple ID on the other two devices?

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Flybob said:
Hi all, I have a MAC and a new IPAD. We had promised our grandson that if he got all A's and B'on his report card, we would buy him an IPOD.
Well he managed that goal and we have ordered the IPOD.
Now my question: I would like him to have his own Apple ID. Can I make that change on the IPOD only and not screw up my own Apple ID on the other two devices?

Of course you can, simply tap on "I don't have an Apple ID" when you are asked during initial setup and create a new one!

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

db019y

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi FlyBob,

Good Question and here's what I recommend. Your Grandson can easily have his own apple I'd with out setting up up with a public website such as Yahoo or Gmail.
Both are GREAT email accounts to hold but depending on the age of your grandson ...(I'm imagining 7-12or 13)

Part of iPod Touch set up includes setting up iCloud. While in that set up page choose 'Create a new Apple ID And then choose Get free iCloud.com email address'

This will allow you to create unique iCloud.com email address and at the same time allow you to be able to create and manage an account for him.

One thing though, please be sure when are finished creating his iCloud.com Apple ID that you take a minute to write down the new apple ID and password as there is no way to recover a password after initial set up if forgotten.

After iPod touch set up, go to this website: appleid.apple.com

Then.
Sign in with new Apple ID and password.
Click on password and security,
Set security questions and your grandsons DOB if it's not in there( note minimum age is 13-14)

OP
Flybob

Flybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks...he is only 11 so Apple won't let him have an Apple ID. We got him going with my Apple ID only he has to come to me to load anything as I keep the password to myself! We did get him his own email via GMail. ICloud is off for him too.

Most reactions