What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Case or just smart cover?

reallydog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
O
For those who just got the new iPad, are you getting a full case for it or keeping the way it is with maybe just a smart cover?

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just the smart cover.
However, my old iPad does have some minor scratches and a dent, so if you want to keep it pristine, then get both.

Mmracing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use both. Very little added weight and great protection. These devises are too expensive not to have something protecting them not to metion the functionality of the smart cover.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Skin on the back and smart cover on the front is about as light in weight as you can get.

I do have a hard time recommending anyone to buy Apple's Smart Cover, however. IME, it does not hold up well.

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I initially tried a Zagg skin on the back and Smart cover to protect the screen. Then I added a case to give it more padding and protection from dents on the back. As an added benefit of the case, it saved my iPad when we were having drinks at a restaurant and someone spilled a glass of water on the table. I grabbed the iPad that I was using to show photos, but it got wet on the top and bottom of the case, but no water got into the 30 pin connector or to the headphone jack moisture sensors.

jturner3988

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Smart Cover and Incipio Smart Feather back cover. They work well together don't add bulk and offer decent protection.

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jturner3988 said:
Smart Cover and Incipio Smart Feather back cover. They work well together don't add bulk and offer decent protection.

I have the same set up and love it!

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm leaving mine naked. I feel like I'm in the minority though. I've just ever felt a screen protector that felt as nice as glass.
I know I'm never going to sell any of my iDevices. When I upgrade I just give the old ones away usually to family or friends. So I don't care abut scratches or dents.

To me they just feel so much better naked. Doesn't anyone else agree?

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
XDRoX said:
I'm leaving mine naked. I feel like I'm in the minority though. I've just ever felt a screen protector that felt as nice as glass.
I know I'm never going to sell any of my iDevices. When I upgrade I just give the old ones away usually to family or friends. So I don't care abut scratches or dents.

To me they just feel so much better naked. Doesn't anyone else agree?

Yes agree, I only put the smart cover on when it leaves the house.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes agree, I only put the smart cover on when it leaves the house.

iPad with only the magnetically attached smart cover is perhaps not the best idea if you need to walk around with it. The magnet holds the pieces pretty good except when you close the cover and grab the iPad with fingers only. If your fingers somehow slide or slip on the smart covers end, the the magnets will detach almost immediately as shown in this video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm using a Smart Cover right now (love it!) and I'm waiting for a skin to come in to put on the back. I like the Smart Cover because I like the "wake from sleep" idea - not that concerned about the screen.

I'm not too concerned about scratches, it's just that I like a little less of the cold metal touching my hands.

If I wasn't so fascinated with the Smart Cover, I'd have nothing on the iPad (well, except the skin for "warmth"). I like my iPad as light as possible...

Marilyn

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using a Smart Cover right now (love it!) and I'm waiting for a skin to come in to put on the back. I like the Smart Cover because I like the "wake from sleep" idea - not that concerned about the screen.

I'm not too concerned about scratches, it's just that I like a little less of the cold metal touching my hands.

If I wasn't so fascinated with the Smart Cover, I'd have nothing on the iPad (well, except the skin for "warmth"). I like my iPad as light as possible...

Marilyn

And they said the new iPads are too hot to hold...

Most reactions