What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Case / covers / skins

Supafongboon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I've read through 3 or 4 threads about cases, skins, and smart cover accessories and a lot of them just link sites and say "it's on the way". Does anyone have a case they like or skin or just a back cover that goes with the smart case. I'm looking for something that also protects the back as well. I have a smart cover but I honestly bought it to see how it is to be honest. So yeah leave a response and hopefully a link to where to buy it

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Supafongboon said:
So I've read through 3 or 4 threads about cases, skins, and smart cover accessories and a lot of them just link sites and say "it's on the way". Does anyone have a case they like or skin or just a back cover that goes with the smart case. I'm looking for something that also protects the back as well. I have a smart cover but I honestly bought it to see how it is to be honest. So yeah leave a response and hopefully a link to where to buy it

Hi there. I have the Bodyguardz Skin on my iPad. It's actually quite nice on it. Originally I was going to get a Smart Case but I decided to go with the Portenzo case instead.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Attachments

• image-1895751069.png
    image-1895751069.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 547

deftdrummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First thing I did was the same as you, got a smart cover and then immediately worried about the back. I was all set to go with the invisible shield on the back too but I held off at the last moment because I found the stealth armor for iPad 2 by fusion of ideas. http://www.fusionofideas.com/store/StealthArmor-iPad-2-Case.html

It is a bit on the expensive side, but they have many design options and they seem like they are high quality. There really isn't too much third party stuff out there right now for the iPad. We will have to wait a few months.

I only worry about incidental nicks and scratches from laying the iPad down on tables. I went with the brushed aluminum to retain the original look as much ass possible. Drops and damage I have covered through Square Trade warranty for $96

dwcleck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's one

This one is like leather and protects front and back and snaps onto iPad 2 not just slide into the side. It's made by AYL but used to be YooBao. I bought it last weekend and just arrived. I have spent months trying to find a case I would be happy with. Check it out. In tried to find some reviews but you can just google AYL 5-in-1 carbon. BTW it feels and looks like leather with suede inside.

I can post some pics if interested.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Scratch-Quality-Premium-Carbon-Generation/dp/B004TJC4PW]Amazon.com: AYL (TM) Water and Scratch Proof 5-in-1 High Quality Premium Carbon Fiber Case Folio with built-in Stand for Apple Ipad 2nd Generation Tablet/wifi 3G Model 16gb, 32gb, 64gb (Black): Electronics[/ame]

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This one is like leather and protects front and back and snaps onto iPad 2 not just slide into the side. It's made by AYL but used to be YooBao. I bought it last weekend and just arrived. I have spent months trying to find a case I would be happy with. Check it out. In tried to find some reviews but you can just google AYL 5-in-1 carbon. BTW it feels and looks like leather with suede inside.

Amazon.com: AYL (TM) Water and Scratch Proof 5-in-1 High Quality Premium Carbon Fiber Case Folio with built-in Stand for Apple Ipad 2nd Generation Tablet/wifi 3G Model 16gb, 32gb, 64gb (Black): Electronics

Nice! I ordered the Marware MicroShell Folio case from MacMall, but it's on back order. Not sure how long I should wait for them.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yvrgal said:
Hi there. I have the Bodyguardz Skin on my iPad. It's actually quite nice on it. Originally I was going to get a Smart Case but I decided to go with the Portenzo case instead.

I've heard (from multiple sources) that Portenzo has been plagued by delayed delivery times. On Treegloo's Facebook page, a couple of them have cancelled their Portenzo orders and gone with Treegloo instead, who are about a week from order to shipping at this point.

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yvrgal said:

I've heard (from multiple sources) that Portenzo has been plagued by delayed delivery times. On Treegloo's Facebook page, a couple of them have cancelled their Portenzo orders and gone with Treegloo instead, who are about a week from order to shipping at this point.

Yeah, I'm aware of the delay but I'd rather wait. I like the look of the Portenzo than Treegloo. All good things for those who wait. :D

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This one is like leather and protects front and back and snaps onto iPad 2 not just slide into the side... BTW it feels and looks like leather with suede inside.

The YooBao/AYL is made from PU (polyurethane) leather, which is a low-cost leather-lookalike. While it includes discarded parts of low-grade hide in its manufacture, it doesn't retain any of the characteristics of genuine leather like developing a patina over time or weathering-in. (In fact, in some places, it is not legal for it to be described or sold as "genuine leather".)

This brings the cost of the product down, and in a very tentative sense it is has "genuine" leather - in the same way, I guess, some sodas or fruit juices claim to have "genuine fruit ingredient".

cf. Bicast leather - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
S

Supafongboon

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Amazon.com: AYL (TM) Water and Scratch Proof 5-in-1 High Quality Premium Carbon Fiber Case Folio with built-in Stand for Apple Ipad 2nd Generation Tablet/wifi 3G Model 16gb, 32gb, 64gb (Black): Electronics

Nice I really like this one. If you could possibly post some pics like thickness that would be awesome. I recently bought this 40 dollar one from best buy, effi leather portfolio or something like that and it works fine but feels really weak and flimsy. How is the durability and strength of this one?

As for the micro shell, I've seen a lot of them around on different websites but no one really basins. I like the idea of that to go with smart cases and what not but no one seems to have it only that they have it ordered. If anyone has real pictures of it and show how well it works with the smart cover then that would be really helpful.

4nefertiti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dwcleck said:

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Scratch-Quality-Premium-Carbon-Generation/dp/B004TJC4PW

+1 for the AYL (Yoobao) cover. Ordered mine from Amazon and it arrived yesterday. Nice grade leather the keeps the slim profile of the ipad2. All for the price of the icover that I returned. Glade I waited.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4nefertiti said:
+1 for the AYL (Yoobao) cover. Ordered mine from Amazon and it arrived yesterday. Nice grade leather the keeps the slim profile of the ipad2. All for the price of the icover that I returned. Glade I waited.

You o have to be careful with it, as PU leather does not have the resistance or durability of full-hide leather and degrades under wear-and-tear.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the smart cover and love it, but I'm also waiting for decent back covers to start shipping.

In case you didn't see my other posts, I found a cheap, attractive way to protect the back while I'm waiting. Buy a sheet of those tiny clear round self- adhesive feet/bumpers that are used in the corners of drawers and cabinets. They're nearly invisible and protect the back very well from table surfaces etc. Put one in each corner (or more). Place them close enough to the front edge so they are the only thing making contact when the cover is used as a typing stand.

I've had mine on for 3 weeks and the iPad back is pristine!

4nefertiti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
The YooBao/AYL is made from PU (polyurethane) leather, which is a low-cost leather-lookalike. While it includes discarded parts of low-grade hide in its manufacture, it doesn't retain any of the characteristics of genuine leather like developing a patina over time or weathering-in. (In fact, in some places, it is not legal for it to be described or sold as "genuine leather".)

This brings the cost of the product down, and in a very tentative sense it is has "genuine" leather - in the same way, I guess, some sodas or fruit juices claim to have "genuine fruit ingredient".

Considering that this is being used to protect an electronic product that will be outdated in 2-3 years, it will not be used long enough for it to degrade. Just doesn't make sense to me to spend the kind of money on the so called genuine leather product when in reality, most of us will have moved on to another electronic device by the time "genuine leather" has had time to develop a patina or weather-in".

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Supafongboon said:

Sent from my iPad using iPF

That looks nice, but you may want to tape some kind of protective material on those bare corners. Corners are kind of like elbows and knees, they're usually the first thing that hits the ground or gets nicked.

oscarrod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have best skins ever but I was plagued with the Foggy LCD issue..

Most reactions

Latest posts