What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cant update ipad2 to ios5.1

noddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For some reason, the "download & install" button is greyed out in settings. What is going on?

timtruro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a pop up this morning asking if I wanted to upgrade to 5.1, I said yes and it upgraded immediately. Did you get the pop- up? If not maybe shutting down and restarting??

timtruro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also try going to settings, then general, then software it may prompt you then to download 5.1.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suggest connect the iPad to power make sure you are on wifi connection and it should work. I also recommend doing a sync backup via wifi or direct to computer prior to upgrade. I upgraded 4 devices no problem hope that helps

LoveRem36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no software under General on my list. And where does one go to find the 5.1 to download?

OP
N

noddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. I have 3.6gb free

Just tried it whilst charging. Currently at 100%, it's still greyed out.
I'll call Apple tomorrow.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just guessing.

Try turning off any restrictions you may have set up under Settings > General > Restrictions. Perhaps one of those (like Installing Apps) is causing the issue.

nyc2sd30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iTunes is saying it can't contact the update server. Anyone else having this issue? I am assuming the servers are being hammered right now.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

LoveRem36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iTunes is saying it can't contact the update server. Anyone else having this issue? I am assuming the servers are being hammered right now.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
I. Never go to iTunes, what do you update from there. To me it's for downloading music, nothing else. I have Siriue/XM radio in my home and all our vehicles so have never even looked at iTunes except to get my iPad cinq'd. I'm afraid I refuse to pay a buck a song from iTunes. There is no saving there. I first started buying 78 rpm records, then 33 1/3, then cassettes, 8 tracks,
CDs and I'm finished buying the same music over and over in different formats.. Now it's Bluetooth and I don't have one to play the CDs on. Makes me so ticked.

Parrori1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suggest connect the iPad to power make sure you are on wifi connection and it should work. I also recommend doing a sync backup via wifi or direct to computer prior to upgrade. I upgraded 4 devices no problem hope that helps

I have turned it off, turned it on, plugged it in, unplugged it, reset it, turned it over, turned me over, updated itunes, synced, stood naked on a rooftop, and I still get a message saying there was an error trying to locate my update.

If this keeps up for a few more days, i will seriously consider thinking about growing impatient, or not.

UPDATE:

Got it. Finally. Suicide watch cancelled.

Last edited:

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Once I heard about the update, I completely forgot you could do it straight to the device and plugged mine in to iTunes. All went fine however, took about 45 minutes from beginning to end.

Linux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iTunes is saying it can't contact the update server. Anyone else having this issue? I am assuming the servers are being hammered right now. [snip]

Hi :)

I'm new to the forums. I own a MC770FD/A iPad 2 Wi-Fi 32GB Black since Jan 27, 2012. It should be used for pro-audio, in combination with a Linux PC, but since WLAN never worked, I couldn't use it.

So far it never was jailbroken.

I experienced that after updating apps, they often can't be applied anymore and more worse, since I updated from iOS 5.0.1 to 5.1, most of the audio apps can't be applied anymore. FWIW iBooks also is borked, I dunno if it's because I updated iOS or iBooks.

Anyway, the update server perhaps was overloaded or maybe it was effected by the solar storm.

When I tried to get the apps applied, the iPad completely didn't work anymore, hence I needed to restore it. It took hours, before I could restore it, because the update server wasn't accessible for the timeframe, needed to finish a restore.

I strongly recommend to avoid this update. At least on my tablet too many apps are borked since I updated to 5.1.

I. Never go to iTunes, what do you update from there. [snip]

How do you restore your iPad, if it's completely knocked out? I need to run iTunes on a Windows, installed to VirtualBox on my Linux, not only to restore it, but also because Wi-Fi of the iPad doesn't work. Is there another way to update apps and iOS, than using iTunes?

I wonder how to downgrade iOS and apps? I guess I could restore older versions by using snapshots or backups of Virtual Box. What's the regular way to downgrade?

Regards,
Ralf

--
Pardon for my broken English.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts