What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't Stop My Ipad from Serenading Me

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a problem that's driving my crazy. Occasionally, but only occasionally, when I pack my iPad 2 into my Waterfield "Travel Express" case along with my Apple Wireless Keyboard in its Origami Workstation and the iPad in sleep mode (activated by the SmartCover) I suddenly find that my iPad activates the iPod app and begins playing music.

I don't think the keyboard or its case has anything to do with this and I can't figure out why it only happens when I put the iPad into the Travel Express bag. (No magnetics or interference with the iPad when it is slipped into the interior sleeve in the case.)

What I find especially puzzling is that it occurs even if I have not been using the iPod app before packing the iPad.

I can, of course, prevent the behavior if I'm careful to turn off the iPad before packing it, but my "senior moments" are becoming much more frequent these days.

P.S. Apologies for posting in the wrong discussion forum.

Anyone else experience such unwanted serenades from their iPads?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Very weird.

Is it possible that your travel case (not familiar with the case) can generate static? That might do something.

Also the cover may not really put the iPad in sleep mode (or so some evidence suggests), but simply puts the screen to sleep. To be certain it is really asleep press the power button briefly.

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe I've solved the puzzle. It appears that when the iPad and the Apple Wireless keyboard are packed into a tight case together (e.g. the Waterfield Design iPad Travel Case), it's possible to engage the keyboard's F8 key (play/pause) even if it's in the Origami Workstation by pushing in the sides of the case.

Since the iPod application is automatically available at all times (when it is not supplanted by another app like Pandora) if I leave the bluetooth keyboard turned on it's possible to accidentally trigger whatever music app happens to be the last used by an inadvertent press of F8.

It doesn't occur, of course, if the bluetooth is turned off or the keyboard itself is turned off since the default keyboard then becomes the on-screen virtual keyboard which cannot be activated if the iPad is "asleep."

This appears to be a shortcoming of the, ahem, limited multi-tasking available on the iPad where music apps are ALWAYS in memory and thus can be accessed when other apps (or no other apps) are active.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to "kill" the iPod app. It can be supplanted by another music app but cannot be killed completely.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe I've solved the puzzle. It appears that when the iPad and the Apple Wireless keyboard are packed into a tight case together (e.g. the Waterfield Design iPad Travel Case), it's possible to engage the keyboard's F8 key (play/pause) even if it's in the Origami Workstation by pushing in the sides of the case.

Since the iPod application is automatically available at all times (when it is not supplanted by another app like Pandora) if I leave the bluetooth keyboard turned on it's possible to accidentally trigger whatever music app happens to be the last used by an inadvertent press of F8.

It doesn't occur, of course, if the bluetooth is turned off or the keyboard itself is turned off since the default keyboard then becomes the on-screen virtual keyboard which cannot be activated if the iPad is "asleep."

This appears to be a shortcoming of the, ahem, limited multi-tasking available on the iPad where music apps are ALWAYS in memory and thus can be accessed when other apps (or no other apps) are active.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to "kill" the iPod app. It can be supplanted by another music app but cannot be killed completely.

Something similar would happen to me. Since I'm spoiled and don't like to wait for the iPad to power up from a shut down, I will put it in airplane mode sometimes when I have it stashed for travel and I am also carrying a keyboard.

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Something similar would happen to me. Since I'm spoiled and don't like to wait for the iPad to power up from a shut down, I will put it in airplane mode sometimes when I have it stashed for travel and I am also carrying a keyboard.

Happy to hear I'm not alone.

Have to say that if Apple isn't going to provide full-fledged multi-tasking (and that doesn't really bother me much) they should at least enable a user to kill the processes that ARE available for multitasking. While I appreciate the functionality that enables me to listen to music while doing other things, I don't use the iPad primarily as a music player unless I have my headphones on. Given that I can kill other apps, I see no reason I should be prevented from killing the iPod app if I choose and turn it on when I want it.

Reaction score
Is it even possible to "stop" the music app? I know that I can pause it, but there appears to be no stop button. Does the fact that the app is always on, i.e. multitasking, mean that it's essentially always playing? Please educate me; I'm new to this...thanks!

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it even possible to "stop" the music app? I know that I can pause it, but there appears to be no stop button. Does the fact that the app is always on, i.e. multitasking, mean that it's essentially always playing? Please educate me; I'm new to this...thanks!

The Play button should also toggle to Stop.

Most reactions