What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't restore iPad 2 5.0.1

MarkMotionless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just recently purchased an iPad 2 with a firmware version of 5.0.1 and I have jailbreaked and re-jailbreaked sucessfully a couple of times but when I start to restore it today I had some of error messages like 3194, 1600 and 21 I can't seem to solve this problems and I was wondering is this the symptoms where Apple stops signing 5.0.1 and I cannot restore it?
I have currently a jailbroken firmware 5.0.1.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have just recently purchased an iPad 2 with a firmware version of 5.0.1 and I have jailbreaked and re-jailbreaked sucessfully a couple of times but when I start to restore it today I had some of error messages like 3194, 1600 and 21 I can't seem to solve this problems and I was wondering is this the symptoms where Apple stops signing 5.0.1 and I cannot restore it?
I have currently a jailbroken firmware 5.0.1.

Absolutely!

Apple has stopped signing iOS 5.0.1 now that iOS 5.1 has been released. If you restore that iPad2, the only version you can now restore it to is that iOS 5.1 - and you will lose your jail break.

Marilyn

OP
M

MarkMotionless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely!

Apple has stopped signing iOS 5.0.1 now that iOS 5.1 has been released. If you restore that iPad2, the only version you can now restore it to is that iOS 5.1 - and you will lose your jail break.

Marilyn

So, my hope for restoration now is I'll upgrade to an official firmware 5.1 then restore it?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, my hope for restoration now is I'll upgrade to an official firmware 5.1 then restore it?

In this particular instance, if you upgrade to the newest firmware, it'll be the name thing as restoring it. IOW, you won't have to do two separate steps - the restore will put iOS 5.1 on your iPad.

Is your iPad on iOS 5.0.1 now? Is it working fine or do you need to restore it because it's not working? If its fine and you want to keep it jail broken, do nothing.

If your iPad is not working properly, what is making you think you need to restore it? Usually, a restore is the last thing a jail breaker wants to do because you lose the jail break. So, maybe you can describe what is happening, or not, to your iPad? Maybe we can help you fix the problem and save your jail break.

However, if it's not working and you've decided you need to restore it (which will be the same thing as upgrading it to the newest firmware), then follow the steps outlined here: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=52863. Again, restoring it will put on iOS 5.1 on it and you will lose your jail break.

For this question:

And how can I know when will Apple will stop signing a firmware?

Generally speaking, Apple stops signing firmware on their own schedule. Here lately, it's been about 24to 48 hours after the release of new firmware. The only thing to know is to watch for a new firmware release. Then, you wl know that it's only a short matter of time before Apple closes the window; they don't keep two firmware versions out for very long.

He some of this helps.

Marilyn

OP
M

MarkMotionless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In this particular instance, if you upgrade to the newest firmware, it'll be the name thing as restoring it. IOW, you won't have to do two separate steps - the restore will put iOS 5.1 on your iPad.

Is your iPad on iOS 5.0.1 now? Is it working fine or do you need to restore it because it's not working? If its fine and you want to keep it jail broken, do nothing.

If your iPad is not working properly, what is making you think you need to restore it? Usually, a restore is the last thing a jail breaker wants to do because you lose the jail break. So, maybe you can describe what is happening, or not, to your iPad? Maybe we can help you fix the problem and save your jail break.

However, if it's not working and you've decided you need to restore it (which will be the same thing as upgrading it to the newest firmware), then follow the steps outlined here: TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS. Again, restoring it will put on iOS 5.1 on it and you will lose your jail break.

For this question:

Generally speaking, Apple stops signing firmware on their own schedule. Here lately, it's been about 24to 48 hours after the release of new firmware. The only thing to know is to watch for a new firmware release. Then, you wl know that it's only a short matter of time before Apple closes the window; they don't keep two firmware versions out for very long.

He some of this helps.

Marilyn

I just need to restore it because the "Others" is taking up space again.

And does 3194, 1600 and 21 are the part of Apple Stops Signing of Firmwares

Because I kinda messed up with DFU mode because I've done it several times straight without having my iPad in Normal mode because my timing is not exact and I was worried that It triggered the error 1600. But after that I have done a proper DFU mode but always get error 1600.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What version of iOS are you currently running on that iPad and is it working fine - other than you want to reduce the size of your Other file in iTunes?

Because, if your iPad is jailbroken and working fine - do NOT do a restore! You will be upgraded to iOS 5.1 and you WILL lose the jail break.

If your iPad2 is working fine on iOS 5.0.1 (and jailbroken), you'll just have to live with the size of your Other category in iTunes if you want to remain jail broken.

You cannot restore an iPad2 and remain jail broken. Cannot.

Marilyn

OP
M

MarkMotionless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What version of iOS are you currently running on that iPad and is it working fine - other than you want to reduce the size of your Other file in iTunes?

Because, if your iPad is jailbroken and working fine - do NOT do a restore! You will be upgraded to iOS 5.1 and you WILL lose the jail break.

If your iPad2 is working fine on iOS 5.0.1 (and jailbroken), you'll just have to live with the size of your Other category in iTunes if you want to remain jail broken.

You cannot restore an iPad2 and remain jail broken. Cannot.

Marilyn

It's working fine. I just want to restore it now because I'm worried about the error 1600. and If I didn't put my iPad on DFU mode It will pop up a error 21 which is redirecting me to recovery mode rather than DFU mode when I'm restoring.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, when the iPad is NOT in DFU mode and you connect it to iTunes, you get an "error 21 notice"? And you can go no further in using iTunes?

An error 21 usually means that you have a third party software issue (according to Apple). Which usually means it's your computer, not the iPad. Have you researched that error code to see what trouble shooting steps you can try?

Marilyn

OP
M

MarkMotionless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, when the iPad is NOT in DFU mode and you connect it to iTunes, you get an "error 21 notice"? And you can go no further in using iTunes?

An error 21 usually means that you have a third party software issue (according to Apple). Which usually means it's your computer, not the iPad. Have you researched that error code to see what trouble shooting steps you can try?

Marilyn

OK so when I use TinyUmbrella to remove the 3194 error and It went through but when the iPad is shutting off and it's getting ready for restoration it will go to Recovery mode rather than DFU mode. I've already tried turning off the anti virus and firewalls but it's not working, I have created a new account and it doesn't work either. So is this the part of Apple Stops Signing Firmwares there's nothing I can do?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still a little lost as to what you are trying to do. So please answer these questions specifically:

1) Right now, In normal mode (not DFU) does your iPad work fine when you have it disconnected from iTunes?

2) Again, not in DFU mode, when plugged in to iTunes, does your iPad sync fine and can you do "transfer purchases" and backups?

3) if no to either question, please tell what error codes you are getting. Again, this is in normal mode, not in DFU.

Thanks.

Marilyn

OP
M

MarkMotionless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still a little lost as to what you are trying to do. So please answer these questions specifically:

1) Right now, In normal mode (not DFU) does your iPad work fine when you have it disconnected from iTunes?

2) Again, not in DFU mode, when plugged in to iTunes, does your iPad sync fine and can you do "transfer purchases" and backups?

3) if no to either question, please tell what error codes you are getting. Again, this is in normal mode, not in DFU.

Thanks.

Marilyn

1.) Yes, It's working fine but I'm just worried about those errors, that's why I needed to restore it so that I may know what problems are causing it.

2.) It's deleting my apps cause it's jailbroken when I try to sync. So I guess it's good I'll try It later again.

3.) OK when I try to restore my iPad without using TinyUmbrella it's making an error 3194. I've already tried tweaking my host file putting #74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com and without the hashtag but it's not working so I use TinyUmbrella to get through but I have to start the TTS.

So it went through with the TinyUmbrella, right? iTunes verified the restoration and iTunes is now getting my iPad ready for restore then my iPad restarts and boot up with Recovery mode supposed to be that will boot up with DFU mode.
and when my iPad is now on recovery mode it pops me an error 21

OK so restoring on normal mode is not working, right? So I have put my iPad on DFU mode then iTunes automatically opens up and detected my iPad in DFU mode so I have tried to restore it and while is now getting ready for a restore a error comes up and this time is 1600.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me say this once more - and then I am done.

You CANNOT restore that iPad2!

If you restore that iPad2, you WILL lose that jail break and you WILL be on iOS 5.1.

You are getting errors because you are trying to restore to an iOS you cannot use. If you stop trying to restore it, you will not get those errors. Stop running Tiny Umbrella and stop putting the iPad into DFU mode.

From what I understand, it's working fine in normal mode. So, leave it be.

Bottom line: Stop trying to restore your iPad2!

Marilyn

OP
M

MarkMotionless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me say this once more - and then I am done.

You CANNOT restore that iPad2!

If you restore that iPad2, you WILL lose that jail break and you WILL be on iOS 5.1.

You are getting errors because you are trying to restore to an iOS you cannot use. If you stop trying to restore it, you will not get those errors. Stop running Tiny Umbrella and stop putting the iPad into DFU mode.

From what I understand, it's working fine in normal mode. So, leave it be.

Bottom line: Stop trying to restore your iPad2!

Marilyn

Answer me this questions:

1.) So, the 1600 is just a joke to prevent me fromrestoring my iPad?
And my iPad is working fine and DFU mode is not damged?

2.)And how about my iPad going on recovery mode and not in DFU mode is it part of Apple preventing me of restore?

3.) So, I'll wait for a jailbreak of 5.1 and upgrade to 5.1 and restore it and jailbreak my device again in 5.1?

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Answer me this questions:

1.) So, the 1600 is just a joke to prevent me fromrestoring my iPad?
And my iPad is working fine and DFU mode is not damaged?

It's not a joke but it is iTunes' way of telling you that you cannot put iOS 5.0.1 on that iPad2 (as Apple has closed the signing window)

2.)And how about my iPad going on recovery mode and not in DFU mode is it part of Apple preventing me of restore?

No. Again, this is a result of you trying to put a firmware version on the iPad that is no longer supported by Apple. It's one of the error notices (or results) you will get when you try to put on iOS 5.0.1.

3.) So, I'll wait for a jailbreak of 5.1 and upgrade to 5.1 and restore it and jailbreak my device again in 5.1?

Yes, you have to wait. Run the iPad on iOS 5.0.1 until you hear of a jail break for iOS 5.1. Then, you can go ahead and restore (which will load iOS 5.1) and then you can jail break that version.

So, relax. Don't worry about the Other space and just enjoy your jail broken iPad2 on iOS 5.0.1.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts