What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't play or copy network videos with Buzz Player HD

bctf1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using buzz player hd 1.6 on my iPad 2. I have shared the My Videos folder on my windows xp computer. The buzz player smb network browser is able to see the shared video files and folders but I cannot copy them to my iPad or play them.

My computer is a domain member computer but that should have nothing to do with this issue. The fact is that buzz player can see the shared files tells me that this is not a permissions issue, but it cannot play or copy them to the Ipad.

When I try to copy a shared file, it says - cannot open file from server to copy.

When I try to play a shared video it says - please check the input URL and your network connection.

I have emailed Buzz Player tech support but have not yet received a response. Any suggestions, I would really like to be able to use this feature?

OP
B

bctf1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW, I just tested Oplayer and it had no problem copying videos via smb from the same shared folder using the same credentials I configured for Buzz Player. However, it does not have the ability to play the files without copying them first like Buzz Player is "supposed" to be able to do.

OP
B

bctf1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No Buzz Player users out there that are willing to comment? Does anyone have smb file sharing working with this app?

Last edited:
OP
B

bctf1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was able to finally get pc file access to work with Buzz Player HD by installing the free Air Video Server on my pc. It works like a charm and I can now play my pc videos on my Ipad when connected to my home wireless network. The Air Video Server is free for PC and Mac and it also supports remote access to files using the air video client for IOS devices.

Last edited:

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Buzz works fine for me for streaming or copying from my NAS using samba. I haven't tried it from a Windows Share on my PC though - I may try this tonight although I am on Windows 7 so not an identical test. Did you have any credentials stored in Buzz for the connetion to the share on your PC?

OP
B

bctf1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buzz works fine for me for streaming or copying from my NAS using samba. I haven't tried it from a Windows Share on my PC though - I may try this tonight although I am on Windows 7 so not an identical test. Did you have any credentials stored in Buzz for the connetion to the share on your PC?

Hi Donka, I am using the same credentials in buzz player smb that work fine in Oplayer smb for the same windows share. Remember, buzz player can see the files and folders in the windows share but cannot copy or play the files. If it were a permissions issue, I would think it would not even see the share contents.

I also tried from buzz player to access a windows share on another computer that is not part of my domain. Once again it could see the share contents but could not copy or play.

It appears that accessing windows shares via smb with buzz player is not ready for prime time. For now, air video server is working fine but I would prefer to use smb sharing if it would work.

Last edited:

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
bctf1 said:
Hi Donka, I am using the same credentials in buzz player smb that work fine in Oplayer smb for the same windows share. Remember, buzz player can see the files and folders in the windows share but cannot copy or play the files. If it were a permissions issue, I would think it would not even see the share contents.

I also tried from buzz player to access a windows share on another computer that is not part of my domain. Once again it could see the share contents but could not copy or play.

It appears that accessing windows shares via smb with buzz player is not ready for prime time. For now, air video server is working fine but I would prefer to use smb sharing if it would work.

I'll test this out on my laptop and feedback. Like I say it works perfectly from my NAS but never tried it from a Windows share. Might not get a chance until the weekend though.

OP
B

bctf1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bctf1 said:
I'll test this out on my laptop and feedback. Like I say it works perfectly from my NAS but never tried it from a Windows share. Might not get a chance until the weekend though.

Hey donka, were you able to test your laptop over the weekend?

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, totally forgot. Will give it a blast this evening.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, tried this out this morning before heading into the office. Just created a share on one of my drives and both OPlayer and Buzz Player could access it - I was actually streaming a movie to Buzz Player successfully.

A couple of points as this was on Windows 7.
When I set up the share I right clicked the folder, selected share and used the last option which was 'Specific users' or something similar - can't remember off the top of my head. I then added the user 'everyone' with read only access.
Next I went into Network settings and pulled up advanced settings for my home network. I went down to the sharing section and changed password protection to 'off' for shares - this allows any user to access the share regardless of whether they have a password set or not.

In Buzz, when I select the Share option and refreshed, the my laptop showed up and I could drill down through the folder I shared - I connected as Guest in Buzz.

OP
B

bctf1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No matter what share settings I use, Buzz is not able to play or copy files via smb on my domain member computer or a non domain computer for that matter while Oplayer has no problem accessing the files. I am not willing to disable password protection on shares and that should not be necessary for smb access to work properly. Obviously Buzz has not implemented smb sharing properly yet. Hopefully they will fix it in a new release. Thank you donka for your participation in this thread.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No matter what share settings I use, Buzz is not able to play or copy files via smb on my domain member computer or a non domain computer for that matter while Oplayer has no problem accessing the files. I am not willing to disable password protection on shares and that should not be necessary for smb access to work properly. Obviously Buzz has not implemented smb sharing properly yet. Hopefully they will fix it in a new release. Thank you donka for your participation in this thread.

If you don't want to disable password protection on shares, have you tried creating a password protected account to use for this operation and use these credentials in Buzz Player when you establish the connection? It may be that Buzz is using smb access properly and OPlayer isn't but due to the extra options in Buzz, you need to configure it a specific way. I'm not defending Buzz and it's implementation because I genuinely don't know what is right and wrong here, I just know that Buzz does work in this scenarion depending on config.

uginz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar problem.
I can see my PC on the SMB shares page but when I try to connect, it asks for a username and password, which doesn’t exist.
Air video server and NAS are ok. I can browse the shared folder on other PC and Mac without problems.

any solutions?

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a similar problem.
I can see my PC on the SMB shares page but when I try to connect, it asks for a username and password, which doesn’t exist.
Air video server and NAS are ok. I can browse the shared folder on other PC and Mac without problems.

any solutions?

Go into 'Network & Sharing' settings, click advanced and then open up your local (home network). Scroll near the bottom for 'Password Protected Shares' and disable this. You should now be able to access the Windows share without a username/password i.e. by clicking 'As Guest'.

zzz99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi donka,

I have been looking for an app that can play directly from my Synology NAS, I have tried AirPlayer and EXplayer, these 2 apps can't handle it at all, not even a xxMB mp4 720p that I dl'ed from youtube...

I have a wireless N network @ 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, also iPad 2 and iPhone 4.

Would you mind to test a 1-2GB(720p) media file to play directly from the nas instead of copying to your iPad? I don't want to spend $ again on some beta app. BIG Thanks!

Last edited:

Most reactions