What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cant get started - might jump off roof!

dixiedean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks in anticipation for your help. I have just bought an ipad2 for my husband for his 65th birthday as we have never had an i anything and he has been complaining recently about being lapped in the technology field!
I have charged it up, downloaded i tunes on to our main pc and connected the ipad to the usb port all as directed. The ipad comes on but just sits there with a picture of a usb lead and a thing for i tunes with a gap of about an inch and can I get it to do anything else? No zilch.
I then tried it with our Samsung netbook via the wi fi network and would you believe it it synched all on its own! It shows it is connected ok to the wi fi network but when I open the app store it just says 'loading' but nothing loads. Similarly if I try to connect to safari or mail it just does nothing.
So obviously either I am not doing something right or there is something missing on the computers.
I have been generally calm but feel more suicidal this afternoon as he has been away windsurfing this easter and returns tonight. Not much of a surprise for him at the moment!
Any help much appreciated.
Caroline xx

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dixiedean said:
Thanks in anticipation for your help. I have just bought an ipad2 for my husband for his 65th birthday as we have never had an i anything and he has been complaining recently about being lapped in the technology field!
I have charged it up, downloaded i tunes on to our main pc and connected the ipad to the usb port all as directed. The ipad comes on but just sits there with a picture of a usb lead and a thing for i tunes with a gap of about an inch and can I get it to do anything else? No zilch.
I then tried it with our Samsung netbook via the wi fi network and would you believe it it synched all on its own! It shows it is connected ok to the wi fi network but when I open the app store it just says 'loading' but nothing loads. Similarly if I try to connect to safari or mail it just does nothing.
So obviously either I am not doing something right or there is something missing on the computers.
I have been generally calm but feel more suicidal this afternoon as he has been away windsurfing this easter and returns tonight. Not much of a surprise for him at the moment!
Any help much appreciated.
Caroline xx

Just a quick thought, go into setting>wifi, you should see your router listed, click on the router then type in the WEP code when requested, once done it should always connect automatically.......the WEP code is normally on a label on your router.

The Archangel

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another thought comes to mind here: Start iTunes without the iPad connected. Check to ensure you have the latest updates installed....(this should be automatic). Now go to the file menu, select preferences from the drop down menu. Hit the advanced tab, and check the radio button that statesn " don't allow devices to sync automatically"

Now close iTunes. Connect your iPad and when found, highlight it in the left hand pane. At the bottom right of your PC screen, now click sync.

Had this with a friends iPad a while back. Are you by any chance running windows 7 64 bit?

Try this, and if it fails to correct the problem post back and we can return your settings to normal.

Jeff

OP
D

dixiedean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - much appreciated:
The Archangel - yes we are from Liverpool and both long term Everton supporters and usually use dixie as our nickname even though he was before even our time! I had already put in the Wep code for the router and the ipad assures me I am connected to the wireless network but still I cant get on to the internet.
Vintage 90 - have done what you said and at least it has got me off the first screen and connected to the wireless network. So now I am exactly the same with both computers. Could you tell me when you say close i tunes and it just goes back to my desktop where does the ipad appear and what does the sync button look like. Also what is windows 6 74 bit?
So any further help or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Caroline xx

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi glad progress is being made. Windows is the operating system installed on your PC. You might have a mac, in which case ignore the comment.

64 and 32 bit versions of windows exist, and require different drivers and iTunes versions, but this should be automatically detected.

Now let's see if I can find you a picture of the iTunes screen:

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sour...aqi=g5g-v5&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=d64b6a287175f884

Click on each picture, you will see the sync item at the bottom right of the iTunes screen. This is used to transfer data from your PC to your iPad. Browse the other pictures as they may help too, but the best way is to have a look at what each tab and file item does in iTunes before you start syncing...... You can end up with lots of things you don't really need or want on your iPad.

To avoid this, you select the folders in which the music, photo''s etc. Are stored, and untick the folders you don't want copied.

iTunes will automatically backup your purchased apps and music.

Hope this helps you along!

Jeff

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dixiedean said:
Thanks for the replies - much appreciated:
The Archangel - yes we are from Liverpool and both long term Everton supporters and usually use dixie as our nickname even though he was before even our time! I had already put in the Wep code for the router and the ipad assures me I am connected to the wireless network but still I cant get on to the internet.
Vintage 90 - have done what you said and at least it has got me off the first screen and connected to the wireless network. So now I am exactly the same with both computers. Could you tell me when you say close i tunes and it just goes back to my desktop where does the ipad appear and what does the sync button look like. Also what is windows 6 74 bit?
So any further help or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Caroline xx

Everton eh, you should come on over to the UK thread and we can discuss the pros and cons of Phil Neville at length!

The Archangel

OP
D

dixiedean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Jeff
Thanks for the reply - I must be stupid because I cannot find the sync button. At the bottom right on itunes is only a tab to open Genius and one of a flower that doesnt do anything. Anyway the ipad seems to be synced but wont open on the internet at all. I would have thought my main PC which is connected to Virgin broadband would have worked but obviously something is wrong. My husband wasnt impressed that I had spent £500 on something that wont work!
Thanks
Caroline xx

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you by any chance looking at iTunes on your iPad, and not the PC? The sync button only works on the PC installed copy of iTunes, and when your iPad is connected to the computer via the USB cable.

Jeff

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are on the PC, remember to plug in your iPad, wait until it is displayed in the left hand pane, highlight it with your mouse, then look to the bottom right of your PC screen. It Must be there!!

Jeff

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember this happened to me in 2008 when I bought my first ipod. I was lucky my brother had used its iphone on the PC. We had to use his PC to power up my ipod. I was really going to return the toy as no good, lol. How I wish Apple should just allow its products to just start on its own without leaning on itunes or any PC? Just a wish.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Sjwred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Everton eh, you should come on over to the UK thread and we can discuss the pros and cons of Phil Neville at length!

The Archangel

UK thread ?
P.S justice for the 96

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So True

I remember this happened to me in 2008 when I bought my first ipod. I was lucky my brother had used its iphone on the PC. We had to use his PC to power up my ipod. I was really going to return the toy as no good, lol. How I wish Apple should just allow its products to just start on its own without leaning on itunes or any PC? Just a wish.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I had the same problem with my Ipad1. Took it out of the box, admired it's design, looked for a manual? err....No. it's the little card telling you to download itunes and proceed from there. Didn't read it, considering myself to be an IT whizz, switched on, just the usb connection icon. I thought the device was faulty until I read the card.

We live and learn.....:D

Most reactions

Latest posts