What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't erase pix

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Joined
Dec 5, 2011
Messages
386
Reaction score
66
Location
Portland, Oregon
Though most pictures in the photo album offer me the option of dropping them into the trashcan, some do not. I can't see a way of getting rid of them via iTunes on my desktop either.

I'm sure I am missing something, but can anyone tell me what that us?

Thanks.
 

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
24,828
Reaction score
1,309
Location
Brisbane, Australia
Tuttle said:
Though most pictures in the photo album offer me the option of dropping them into the trashcan, some do not. I can't see a way of getting rid of them via iTunes on my desktop either.

I'm sure I am missing something, but can anyone tell me what that us?

Thanks.

Photos that are streamed to your iPad whether by an iPhone or MacBook cannot be deleted from the iPad on the iPad. This has to be done in iCloud on your computer. You also must delete all of them not just a few.
 

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Joined
Oct 25, 2010
Messages
955
Reaction score
15
leelai said:
Photos that are streamed to your iPad whether by an iPhone or MacBook cannot be deleted from the iPad on the iPad. This has to be done in iCloud on your computer. You also must delete all of them not just a few.

Or just turn off photo stream in settings on the iPad and this also deletes them.
 

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
24,828
Reaction score
1,309
Location
Brisbane, Australia
addiosamigo said:
Or just turn off photo stream in settings on the iPad and this also deletes them.

I've had a closer look at this and yes that does delete them from the iPad but they are not deleted in iCloud and you will need photo stream off permanently or they will just reappear. You need to reset photo stream through iCloud on the Computer first, then on the ipad by turning photo stream off they are deleted permanently and you will be able to access photo stream again. So you need to save to your camera roll those photos in the stream you want to keep, before deleting them on the computer.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/53812-photo-stream.html
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
 

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Joined
Oct 25, 2010
Messages
955
Reaction score
15
leelai said:
I've had a closer look at this and yes that does delete them from the iPad but they are not deleted in iCloud and you will need photo stream off permanently or they will just reappear. You need to reset photo stream through iCloud on the Computer first, then on the ipad by turning photo stream off they are deleted permanently and you will be able to access photo stream again. So you need to save to your camera roll those photos in the stream you want to keep, before deleting them on the computer.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/53812-photo-stream.html
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I never knew that, thanks
 
OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Joined
Dec 5, 2011
Messages
386
Reaction score
66
Location
Portland, Oregon
Well, actually, I am not using photostream-–-and have the cloud turned off. So, anyone else have an idea?
 

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Aug 6, 2011
Messages
10,665
Reaction score
1,470
Location
Edmonton AB Canada
You should be able to delete them in Windows Explorer, or whatever the Mac equivalent is. Plug your iPad in, ignore iTunes and go to "Computer". The iPad will show up as a removable drive and you'll find the photographs in the DCIM folder. You can delete them from there.

Don't delete the DCIM folder. If you do, it MIGHT recreate itself next time you take a photograph, but then again, it might not.

Let us know if this works for you as others have had the same problem.
 
OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Joined
Dec 5, 2011
Messages
386
Reaction score
66
Location
Portland, Oregon
You should be able to delete them in Windows Explorer, or whatever the Mac equivalent is. Plug your iPad in, ignore iTunes and go to "Computer". The iPad will show up as a removable drive and you'll find the photographs in the DCIM folder. You can delete them from there.

Don't delete the DCIM folder. If you do, it MIGHT recreate itself next time you take a photograph, but then again, it might not.

Let us know if this works for you as others have had the same problem.

I am using a macmini desktop. Under Lion, the iPad doesn't even show up on the desktop. The only way I can interact with the iPad is through iTunes---and it doesn't seem to have provisions for accessing the Photos app directly. I can only "synch" the photos, whatever that really means.

I do have Bootcamp on the macmini, with Win 7 on "that side of the house." On its desktop, I can see the iPad, but it shows up only as "iPad Camera." When I click on it, I can see the DCIM folder, but it only contains a few pix that I do not want to delete.

So---as time wears on, I become more and more confused. Why won't Appke let me even see the iPad without going through that ineffable (or is it simply "effing"?) massive piece of software called iTunes?
 
OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Joined
Dec 5, 2011
Messages
386
Reaction score
66
Location
Portland, Oregon
I'm still having this danged problem, so thought I would bump it back up in the hope that someone can help.
 

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Aug 6, 2011
Messages
10,665
Reaction score
1,470
Location
Edmonton AB Canada
This is odd. I'm using windows Vista, which, after iTunes, is probably the nastiest piece of software going, yet I have no trouble manipulating photographs on there, regardless of where they come from. The iPad just shows up as a removable drive and allows access to photographs like any other drive.

I think the reason iTunes treats photographs differently is because they are not copyrighted, leaving you free to manipulate them as you see fit. What about plugging it into a Windows computer and deleting them from there? I can't help with Lion as I've never used it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
 

Most reactions

Latest posts

Top